Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #1
wiredgeorge

King Swift & Hiboost 4G installed

Spent the past couple days installing a King Swift WiFi Router/Extender and a Hiboost 4G 2.0 RV Cell Booster. I requested the Swift as a Christmas gift and the Cell booster as a birthday gift (last December) and just go around to install.

Took me more or less a day and a half and if I had either read the directions or was doing it again, would only be a couple hours.

Put both antennas on the same extending mast. The picture below shows the antennas on the mast with it in the down position. It goes up about two more feet. The WiFi antenna is the black whip and the cell is the white cylinder. The mast was placed where is is because the Wifi coax is only 11' and comes into the trailer in my "entertainment center where there is a shelf for the router/extender. I will be working on cleaning up the wire mess in that shelf next time I get some gumption.

The Swift router needs to be set up so it sees the contributing WiFi signal which in this case is coming up from my home office about 250 feet away. I have an extender in my office window. Once set up, WiFi is great with big signal and speed gains vs not boosted.

The Hiboost cell booster is a little more complicated as there is not only the outside antenna, the amp/booster and an inside antenna. These must be placed on two different horizontal planes and you have to use their "Signal Supervisor" app on your smartphone to monitor what is going on. I was unable to pair my phone with the amp/booster so I connected to is via WiFi. The app shows outages, strength, etc.

First pic shows antennas, second shows cell booster & inside antenna and third the WiFi router.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 01:27 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

3 promised pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anatenna.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	39116   Click image for larger version

Name:	cell.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	251.0 KB
ID:	39117   Click image for larger version

Name:	wifi_router.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	361.6 KB
ID:	39118  
Old 12-22-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Long term update. The Hiboost 4G 2.0 Cell Booster works flawlessly and effectively. Now to the King Swift/WiFimax...

The method of connecting to the King Swift (antenna part) and WiFimax are a tad convoluted. First you must connect to the router (WiFiMax) then select the target WiFi signal available at your location. Sounds simple but I must use my laptop to do this. You have to type in the http://mykingwifi.com link and a menu appears. After navigating and finding your target WiFi the King router reboots... well it just hangs. You can close out the page and find that you are indeed connected. Problem is, I don't always want to fire up my laptop. Why? It has been sitting for sometime and Windows and my AV software want to update... badly sometimes. Anyway, I can't connect to the http://mykingwifi.com link via my Android 11 smart phone. Why? No idea. I contacted King support and they told me their side of things works great and it must be my particular cell phone. I was not happy with their lack of interest in this as Amazon reviews mention MANY customers have this issue and note that their Android app which is supposed to work with my system only works with the highest priced directional antenna system (Falcon) via bluetooth. The King Swift/WiFimax doesn't seem to bluetooth.

Keep these things in mind. When the system is set up and working it works great otherwise. Only real complaint about the hardware is that the cable supplied for connecting antenna to router is only 12' long. This limits antenna mounting options greatly. I mounted mine on a pole adjacent to the side of the router inside. Also, for whatever reason, using my VPN with the supplied WiFi signal greatly reduces speed but since the devices connected are on a private WiFI network guess leaving the VPN off doesn't open too much vulnerability.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
jsb5717

We also use a King WiFi extender. I do all of the configurations with my Android phone. You just have to make sure that you are connected to the King's WiFi in order to connect to the King web settings. As you've said, once you select a signal to connect the King to then it will reset. It appears to hang on the phone because in the reset it disconnects from the King's WiFi. I just give it a minute and then reconnect the phone to the King Wifi and all is well.

It's true that you have to jump through these hoops every time you want to connect to a different external signal. We have a Visible phone that serves us fairly well for internet connection. I just leave the King connected to the Visible phone and it minimizes how often I have to reset it's connection.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2022, 09:24 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
We also use a King WiFi extender. I do all of the configurations with my Android phone. You just have to make sure that you are connected to the King's WiFi in order to connect to the King web settings. As you've said, once you select a signal to connect the King to then it will reset. It appears to hang on the phone because in the reset it disconnects from the King's WiFi. I just give it a minute and then reconnect the phone to the King Wifi and all is well.

It's true that you have to jump through these hoops every time you want to connect to a different external signal. We have a Visible phone that serves us fairly well for internet connection. I just leave the King connected to the Visible phone and it minimizes how often I have to reset it's connection.
As I noted, it can't connect to the King; unable to connect. Finally, King support got back to me and noted I am not the only one and they had no idea why it would connect to one smart phone and not another. Disappointing to hear they had not researched this issue enough to figure it out. I connect easily with my laptop and it is connected now. Went up and turned a small electric heater on in the RV parked in my home slip to keep things a bit warmer during the cold snap we are having; currently about 20F outside and dropping. Will be like this for several days I guess.

Tags
led