Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2022, 01:22 AM   #1
RMC-318BR

Power inverter

Hi, this may be a dumb question but do I need a power inverter? I have a 2022 hideout 318BR.
I plan to only camp at full hook up or with generator. I have the inverter prep in the cargo area just want to see what people think. This is my first camper. All new stuff to me please be easy, lol
RMC-318BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:18 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your only going to camp with hookups or a gen, then an inverter is not really needed unless your going to watch TV after “quiet hours”. Generally speaking campgrounds prohibit running a gen during certain hours, most common is 8PM until 8AM

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:23 AM   #3
Poppy

Only dumb question is the on that’s not asked.
I’ve been camping for about 20 years, give or take a few. I purchased my first inverter last year so I could use my air compressor at the storage where I have to keep my camper. That’s the only time I’ve had to use it, and it performed as well as I had hoped for.
I don’t do Walmart camping, or whatever you want to call it. If my camping spot doesn’t have water and electric, I won’t stay there except 1 night if I need to.
Hope that helps.
Happy Camping!
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:08 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

You don't "need" a power inverter. RVs didn't even have them years ago. What you are looking at may be the prep for the inverter and solar system that can accompany it for sustained operation without commercial power or generator. Seems solar panels are popular with some but if you aren't going to boondock I don't see the benefit or going to the expense.

If you are going to stay in commercial campgrounds, or those with hookups, you don't need an inverter OR generator. I have an inverter because of our residential fridge, without it I wouldn't need it as I only stay in campgrounds with facilities. I used to carry a gen set years ago when I boondocked but it just stays in the shop these days as I've never required it while traveling in many years. Also it takes up space and weight that I would rather use for other things.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:34 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC-318BR View Post
Hi, this may be a dumb question but do I need a power inverter? I have a 2022 hideout 318BR.
I plan to only camp at full hook up or with generator. I have the inverter prep in the cargo area just want to see what people think. This is my first camper. All new stuff to me please be easy, lol
Given the bolded statement no, not unless you just want to spend a lot of money just to say you have it. An inverter changes 12v dc to 120v ac. Connecting to shore power or using a generator provides 120v ac therby negating the need for an inverter.

Be aware that the "inverter prep" or "solar prep" is nothing more than a few wires. If you trully have a need or desire there will be a far greater monitary commitment than just wiring in an inverter. First off the dealer installed battery is woefully inadequate to run an inverter for any length of time. Second, you will have to replenish the energy that you remove from the batteries ( yes, plural as 1 isn't enough) and that means solar panels or generator.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 05:42 AM   #6
dutchmensport

The question not asked of the OP is: Does your camper have a propane-electric refrigerator, or a residential all electric refrigerator?

If you have an RV refrigerator (propane-electric), and you are always going to use shore power, there is no need for an inverter. Save your money.

On the other hand, if you have a residential refrigerator that runs on AC electricity only, you should already have an "inverter" as that is absolutely needed to keep a residential, (all AC electric) refrigerator running. For example, when towing the trailer.

So, if you have the gas-electric refrigerator, always on shore power, an inverter is something you'll never use.

If you need an inverter, as Poppy (above) uses, you can always purchase a much cheaper portable inverter with clips that clip onto your battery, or used through the cigerette lighter portal on the truck dash. We carry a 400 watt inverter in the truck all the time. It's over 25 years old and still works flawless. It has come in handy many times, and cost a small fraction on a built in inverter on a camper.

Something like these.

Just get one with enough Watt output to run anything you may need. For us, the 400 watt does absolutely great for running televisions and crock pots (Yes, we sometimes travel with dinner cooking on the back seat floor of the truck! It's torture though, smelling that food for hours! But, it's worth it when we reach our campsite and dinner is ready!
Old 03-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Given the bolded statement no, not unless you just want to spend a lot of money just to say you have it. An inverter changes 12v dc to 120v ac. Connecting to shore power or using a generator provides 120v ac therby negating the need for an inverter.

Be aware that the "inverter prep" or "solar prep" is nothing more than a few wires. If you trully have a need or desire there will be a far greater monitary commitment than just wiring in an inverter. First off the dealer installed battery is woefully inadequate to run an inverter for any length of time. Second, you will have to replenish the energy that you remove from the batteries ( yes, plural as 1 isn't enough) and that means solar panels or generator.
Just emphasizing what flybouy stated. For the inverter prep, it is just the "ac circuit" side of the wiring so any outlets "downstream" of the inverter can be powered by it. The more expensive wiring is the battery side, fusing, shutoff, etc which is not included.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 04:38 AM   #8
Rusty E

Plugs in Hideout

If I can piggyback off the original question as I just bought a 2022 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT 174RK...well...yesterday (it's being prepped and pickup/walkthrough is on Tuesday).

I know the plugs in the camper all have that cute little "inverter" sticker on them. This model comes with a default solar panel.

My question is when I hook up to sure-power at campsite or with my generator will I be able to use the plugins just like regular AC plugs or are the plugs always on DC mode?

Hope the question makes sense. The electrical world is not my cup of tea.

- 2022 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT 174RK
- 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 Quad-Cab Z71
Rusty E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:12 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The plugs marked inverter will be powered when you plug into shore power. They are wired so that when/if you add/install an inverter they will be powered by both if you get the correct inverter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:13 AM   #10
Socaldave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty E View Post
If I can piggyback off the original question as I just bought a 2022 KEYSTONE HIDEOUT 174RK...well...yesterday (it's being prepped and pickup/walkthrough is on Tuesday).

I know the plugs in the camper all have that cute little "inverter" sticker on them. This model comes with a default solar panel.

My question is when I hook up to sure-power at campsite or with my generator will I be able to use the plugins just like regular AC plugs or are the plugs always on DC mode?

Hope the question makes sense. The electrical world is not my cup of tea.
120VAC receptacles are just what they are and cannot be switched to 12VDC.
As long as your connected to shore power or running off the gen all AC oultlets will have 120VAC.

I would imagine your solar panel is only supplying power to help maintain the batteries.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:21 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

The inverter SHOULD automatically swich over to shore power when connected. That's if the inverter is installed. Some trailers are sold as inverter ready which means it's wired for an inverter but not installed at the factory. At delivery make sure the dealer does a proper PDI ( pre delivery inspection) and explains how EVERYTHING works and answers all questions. Make them fix whatever you find deficient BEFORE you accept it. Use your cell phone to video the PDI so you you can refer back to it when you find yourself saying " now how did that guy say to do this?" Congrats on your new camper!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
Rusty E

Great advice. Thanks all. You’re giving me a little shot of confidence especially as a first time trailer owner.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:05 AM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Rusty just to emphasize a couple of things that have been said;

First, when you pick it up make SURE you do a thorough walk through (PDI - pre delivery inspection). Check every appliance including the water heater. Have them show you where they are, how to access them and now they work. Look at the A/C and get familiar with it, you will need it in your location. Look at everything closely, document all things that aren't right, broken, need adjustment etc. and HAVE THEM DO IT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT! Once you have it in your hands service appts. at an RV dealership may be months out and then they may keep the unit for months. They will respond much better prior to sale and pickup. Also remember that the comprehensive Keystone warranty is only for 12 months that start ticking upon taking delivery. If you take it then try to start getting it in for warranty work that 12 mos. will fly by.

Get familiar (PDI would be a good time for pointers) with the 2 power systems in an RV. They are 120vac (normal household voltage) and 12vdc like what your car uses. They power different things and work in tandem with different control functions to operate some of your equipment.

It will take some time to get familiar with all the ins and outs of the workings in an RV but they aren't difficult, just time consuming sometimes. Good luck on the pickup and have fun with the trailer.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:14 AM   #14
Rusty E

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Rusty just to emphasize a couple of things that have been said;

First, when you pick it up make SURE you do a thorough walk through (PDI - pre delivery inspection). Check every appliance including the water heater. Have them show you where they are, how to access them and now they work. Look at the A/C and get familiar with it, you will need it in your location. Look at everything closely, document all things that aren't right, broken, need adjustment etc. and HAVE THEM DO IT BEFORE YOU TAKE IT! Once you have it in your hands service appts. at an RV dealership may be months out and then they may keep the unit for months. They will respond much better prior to sale and pickup. Also remember that the comprehensive Keystone warranty is only for 12 months that start ticking upon taking delivery. If you take it then try to start getting it in for warranty work that 12 mos. will fly by.

Get familiar (PDI would be a good time for pointers) with the 2 power systems in an RV. They are 120vac (normal household voltage) and 12vdc like what your car uses. They power different things and work in tandem with different control functions to operate some of your equipment.

It will take some time to get familiar with all the ins and outs of the workings in an RV but they aren't difficult, just time consuming sometimes. Good luck on the pickup and have fun with the trailer.
Thanks for the advice. Have to admit that it's a little intimidating. Fortunately my son-in-law is in town for a spell and is going to take it out for a night boondocking (spelling?) just to show me the ropes. He's also given me a list of "things I need" (read: $) and things that "would be nice to have."

Glad I found this forum to ease me into it!

Old 05-22-2022, 08:25 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty E View Post
Thanks for the advice. Have to admit that it's a little intimidating. Fortunately my son-in-law is in town for a spell and is going to take it out for a night boondocking (spelling?) just to show me the ropes. He's also given me a list of "things I need" (read: $) and things that "would be nice to have."

Glad I found this forum to ease me into it!

It will be fine. First one I ever bought I just pulled it off ignorant of anything and everything about it. That was a learning curve and a long time before internet.

Just be sure and get things fixed prior to taking it. There are countless posts from new buyers who didn't do that then find themselves without their trailer for very long extended periods while waiting for a dealer to either assess, or perform, warranty work. Some have ended up without their trailer for months at a time. Once the deal is done and you take it you drop to the back of the line. The new sale is always at the front of the line.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:57 AM   #16
travelin texans

When the advice here says "before you take it" that means DO NOT sign ANYTHING no matter how hard they try to pressure you UNTIL everything you've found is repared/replaced to your liking!
If you have someone with more rv experience than you take them along for the PDI, the more eyes the better & nitpick it til the guy doing the PDI is about to cry.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:08 PM   #17
Joe1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You don't "need" a power inverter. RVs didn't even have them years ago. What you are looking at may be the prep for the inverter and solar system that can accompany it for sustained operation without commercial power or generator. Seems solar panels are popular with some but if you aren't going to boondock I don't see the benefit or going to the expense.

If you are going to stay in commercial campgrounds, or those with hookups, you don't need an inverter OR generator. I have an inverter because of our residential fridge, without it I wouldn't need it as I only stay in campgrounds with facilities. I used to carry a gen set years ago when I boondocked but it just stays in the shop these days as I've never required it while traveling in many years. Also it takes up space and weight that I would rather use for other things.
I have a 29’ Springdale by keystone, came with solar. All the electrical operates on battery power only, no problem. With the exception of the outlets. When connected to shore power all the outlets work, no problem. The outlets have a sticker on them that say inverted / solar flex. I thought I remembered them working in the past on battery only but maybe I am wrong. Should the outlets be working on battery only? BTW - The fridge outlet seems to work on battery only, but not any of the others, including the microwave.
Joe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:11 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1969 View Post
I have a Springdale by Keystone, 29-foot with solar. Batteries are fully charged. Everything operates on battery power with the exception of the outlets. When plugged into shore power the outlets operate. I thought I remembered the outlets operating in the past without shore power, but now that does not seem to be the case. The outlets do have a sticker on them that says inverterted outlet / solar flex. Should my outlets be running on batter only? Also, how do I know if I have an “invertor” installed? I see where the breaker/Fuze panel is, but do not know where to look for an inverter.

What year and model of Springdale do you have? That information is very helpful in getting accurate answers. Unless you have some sort of factory installed solar option you won't have an inverter (or a residential fridge). If it's a residential fridge only the inverter won't be set up to power the entire trailer. Without the inverter, and batteries to back it up, you won't have "inverted" power and have to have shore power to run your outlets which are 120vac vs. 12vdc. Also your A/C, microwave, fireplace etc. won't run on 12vdc either.
Old 01-22-2023, 03:36 PM   #19
Joe1969

2022. I don’t know the actual model # or where I would even find that in the RV. I’d does have factory solar, but as mentioned I don’t know how I would identify if I have an inverter.
Joe1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

If it's a 2022 the model number should be on the trailer by the entry door (usually). The Keystone website shows you have the SolarFlex 200 package and a 12vdc fridge. That system doesn't come with an inverter. The outlets labeled will work off the batteries if the owner installs an inverter. So to your question - the outlets will not work without shore power until you install an inverter, neither will the A/C or microwave.

Tags
inverter, power