Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2022, 02:39 PM   #1
jasin1

Buc-ee’s with a fifth wheel

Any issues getting a fifth wheel in and out? I always assumed it was a truck stop.

I usually go to truck stops but have to admit this place seems nice.
Old 02-26-2022, 03:00 PM   #2
rhagfo

Well they need to get fuel and supplies, I would believe that they are planed for large RVs.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
jasin1

Yep I’m sure they have physical height room I just wondered if it’s a really busy place where you get caught up in car traffic ..it says no 18 wheelers..I’m going to Florida soon…the last couple of truck stops I’ve been in seemed like they never swept the parking lot.

And the trailer flat I got last year was right after going to a truck stop
Old 02-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #4
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Well they need to get fuel and supplies, I would believe that they are planed for large RVs.
They generally are not 50 plus foot friendly.. I avoid them like the black plague..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
They generally are not 50 plus foot friendly.. I avoid them like the black plague..
Lol ok that’s what I need to hear…didn’t want to get caught up in a tight situation
Old 02-26-2022, 03:50 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

LOTS of RVs go into Buc-ees including me (DW loves them). Huge spaces with plenty of navigation room and I've not been to one yet that didn't have an empty slot for me to get in (and generally lots and lots of empty pumps because they're huge). You will generally take up 2 pumps but just pull to the front one and have at it - folks expect it and there will be plenty more doing the same thing. Entry and exits are well planned with lots of space as well.

I hit the new one E of Mobile coming in this last trip and it was a little confusing at first but they (or ADOT) put in multiple lanes (and exits) and new streets just for it (Buc-ees Blvd). Once I had entered and could see the lay of things it was no problem. FAR worse at most truck stops and regular gas stations - these guys build these things just for travelers...including RVs. And then...plan on being inside a bit; they are interesting (a tourist mecca) and packed with people. I liked the BBQ sandwich in TX but they changed the BBQ sauce in AL to fit more with the local tastes I suppose. And yes, they are nice - nicer than any truck stop you'll come across. If I were you I wouldn't pass them up, just give one a try and sample some of their tourist food!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
boatguy

The ones we have stopped at always seem to be a mob scene . Lots of vehicles coming and going and people every where . They are large, but seem to be easier to find parking for regular cars and trucks more than vehicles towing RV's (unless you are getting gas) . If its not too crowded , there is plenty of room to wheel in with a large RV ........but its usually NEVER uncrowded . There are NO special parking spots for RV's either (the ones we have visited) . Just have to try to find a parking spot in an out of the way spot off to the side. Seems most just park at the gas pumps after they are done refilling .

We were lucky enough a find a parking spot after refilling during our last visit .

This is from a few weeks ago at the Buc-ees on RT 95 in St. Augustine FL . Was a Sunday afternoon .......and it was PACKED ! Cheapest gas around though !

Old 02-26-2022, 04:03 PM   #8
Mikendebbie

Love Bucees and stop at everyone we pass on the interstates. Easy in. Easy out. Plenty of room to park after you get fuel and go inside for restrooms, shopping and food. I park the rig out by the dog walks so they can take care of business.

To clarify some of the questions/concerns from the threads above this…I park my rig “parallel” out on the perimeters across several parking spots. It’s not a problem. When it’s raining - I park “closer” to one of the entries and I park in a double slot, and my tail end is sticking out in a drive lane a bit, but even though I might be closer than the outer spots by the dog walk - I am still out in the boon-docks with very little cross traffic back there. In short - use common sense when you park. Nobody is cruising the parking lot giving out demerits for bad parking. It’s all good. It is a great stop for RVers. Yes - they are all very busy. I have never had a problem there and the crowds don’t bother us.

Bucees also has convenience stores in the Houston area and they are probably a little small for a 40’ Montana + tow vehicle. I think the business got off the ground when the owner opened his first convenience store in Houston area…great success story.

These big stores on the interstates are architectural and civil layout wonders in my opinion. They have guys walking around cleaning the pumps. You are not likely to stand at the pump and get diesel slime on your flip flops. The restrooms upped the bar and redefined nice restrooms for travelers. The merchandise is high quality and unique…maybe a tad too expensive for me, but DW could shop there for hours if I let her.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 04:31 PM   #9
jasin1

Well I guess I will look on google earth and scope it out for my Florida trip. Don’t know why truck stops don’t sweep their lots…I guess it’s because semi truck tires are either nail proof or they expect them to blow out ..either way they don’t worry about them
Old 02-26-2022, 04:43 PM   #10
j.w.

The one in Gulf Shores (just E. of Mobile) is a mob scene. Been there twice in just my pickup. NEVER again. Got in line to get diesel, it was so bu sy I could not get out of line. DW and I were caught there for 25 minutes trying to get out after finally filling up.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:42 PM   #11
MCBadgett

We stop there, unless it's a holiday weekend. Too crowded on holidays for us.
Old 02-26-2022, 06:46 PM   #12
Javi

New Braunfels, and I10 on 183 between Luling and Gonzales are the only two I've ever tried to stop at and they are both a mob scene.

And broke me from ever stopping at another.

Truckers have a much better attitude than the Prius peddlers.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 02:50 AM   #13
RickV

We hit the one in Fort Valley Georgia on our way out of and heading back home to Florida every time we pass through there. It is pretty crowded but, if you take your time there is plenty of room to navigate around. Their Diesel prices are usually lower than anywhere else around and some of the islands have DEF too. We always pick up a pound of their Brisket <--- good stuff for dinner when we reach wherever we are going.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:01 AM   #14
notanlines

Tennesseans are looking forward to joining in the action. The new Buc-ee’s store was announced last year and will open sometime in 2022. It’s located in Sevierville, spanning over 74,000 square feet on a 200-acre lot, WYMT-TV reports.
Construction is already underway and the site will feature more than 120 fueling pumps, electric car charging stations and a car wash over 250-feet long.
So TAKE THAT New Braunfels! There will be a new king...
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 05:35 AM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Tennesseans are looking forward to joining in the action. The new Buc-ee’s store was announced last year and will open sometime in 2022. It’s located in Sevierville, spanning over 74,000 square feet on a 200-acre lot, WYMT-TV reports.
Construction is already underway and the site will feature more than 120 fueling pumps, electric car charging stations and a car wash over 250-feet long.

I guess they need the room to refule the Titanic ship and feed the King Kong.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:19 AM   #16
hornet28

Someone mentioned that they take up 2 pumps and pull to the forward one. I'm a hair over 60 ft when traveling with my car hauler, a bit less with the 5th wheel. I pull to the first pump so that others can use the front one as I usually am pumping somewhere around 70+ gals of fuel. I think of it as just being courteous. Also if your pulling in for fuel what is the big if the parking lot isn't swept. Can you imagine someone out there with a broom? Think of the cost of a machine like a street sweeper?
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:32 AM   #17
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet28 View Post
Someone mentioned that they take up 2 pumps and pull to the forward one. I'm a hair over 60 ft when traveling with my car hauler, a bit less with the 5th wheel. I pull to the first pump so that others can use the front one as I usually am pumping somewhere around 70+ gals of fuel. I think of it as just being courteous. Also if your pulling in for fuel what is the big if the parking lot isn't swept. Can you imagine someone out there with a broom? Think of the cost of a machine like a street sweeper?
You don’t have to buy a street sweeper …my buddy owns a couple of street sweeping trucks…you just pay for a once a week service..or you can buy a magnet to pull behind an old car or truck. Don’t even have to do the whole parking lot…just where the entrance and exit roads to the pumps

I don’t expect it to be perfect but after I got a flat last year I started paying attention and sometimes it looks like your driving through a junkyard ..
Like someone is hauling a truck full of rusty screws and bolts stored in crab pots
Old 02-27-2022, 06:34 AM   #18
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post

250 foot long car wash? Good..I can take the truck and fifth wheel thru…that’s convenient
Old 02-27-2022, 06:47 AM   #19
gearhead

I don't ever pass one up. I've been known to stop at both of them on I45 between Houston and Dallas. You will not find a cleaner store and restrooms.
I've never had any trouble getting a fuel pump spot with our crew cab truck and 40ft 5th wheel. You will likely have to sit a few minutes until someone pulls out so you can get in. Many folks pump their gas and just leave their car there while they go inside and shop.
Bucees fuel is cheap and their food is great. Either ready to go sandwiches or custom made. Restrooms are super clean.
Yes it can be a mob scene. Friday afternoon and Saturday mornings seem particularly bad with high school and college kids.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 06:58 AM   #20
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
250 foot long car wash? Good..I can take the truck and fifth wheel thru…that’s convenient
I think I would scope it out and talk to someone before I pulled in. I've only found one automatic car wash that would accept a dually. Congrats to Pella Iowa.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fifth wheel