Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #41
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Good purchase imo. I bought the Champion 2500 and found that it lasted 10-12 hours on Gas (and more on propane) over night with really the only load being the AC. Of course the time is dependent on the AC load that night.
You were able to run the ac with it? I got the 2500 as well. How many BTU is your AC?
autismalanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:13 PM   #42
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by autismalanimal View Post
You were able to run the ac with it? I got the 2500 as well. How many BTU is your AC?
Yes I was. My AC is a GE 13.5 BUT you really have to look at your exact model. I posted a link recently https://www.dometic.com/assets/12/86/3316570_71286.pdf
that exhibits what I mean. Depending on the model a 13.5 vs 15 may not matter. For me, I first measured the startup/running and voltage for each with a power meter so that I could verify what I found for specs (they were close) and then decided to purchase the softstart for added protection on compressor start up.

The bottom line is that after everything was put together the theory did map to the results.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:16 PM   #43
autismalanimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
Yes I was. My AC is a GE 13.5 BUT you really have to look at your exact model. I posted a link recently https://www.dometic.com/assets/12/86/3316570_71286.pdf

that exhibits what I mean. Depending on the model a 13.5 vs 15 may not matter. For me, I first measured the startup/running and voltage for each with a power meter so that I could verify what I found for specs (they were close) and then decided to purchase the softstart for added protection on compressor start up.
Ohh i see. The soft start is a little pricey but I kinda want one... would sure be convenient for traveling in the south, or just make it more comfortable for my son who still takes naps. As I understand it, its the wattage required to start the AC that makes using a generator for AC a little dicey. I am not sure what the exact model is but I know mine is 13.5 btu
autismalanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #44
jxnbbl

Quote:
Ohh i see. The soft start is a little pricey but I kinda want one... would sure be convenient for traveling in the south, or just make it more comfortable for my son who still takes naps. As I understand it, its the wattage required to start the AC that makes using a generator for AC a little dicey. I am not sure what the exact model is but I know mine is 13.5 btu

Exactly....we were traveling to Florida and knew it would be 90+ (and it approached 100 a few days) combine that with a couple of HarvestHost stays were we knew we would not have power and the generator was necessary. However, one day while in the keys the local power company had some work and they shut off the power to the campground from 10am-3pm So we needed it then in an unplanned situation. The softstart actually does work well.

I have to give them an A+ on support as the wiring was a bit different on the GE AC that I have and they got back to me within 2 hours on a weekend with a "unit specific" wiring diagram along with they guys cell phone if I had questions. Remembering back probably less than an hour of install time with only simple wiring tools - cutter/stripper, crimper and a screw driver. Even though I believe our unit could be handled with the 2500, I wanted a bit of headroom so that the converter/etc (nothing big) could run simultaneously on an AC startup.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:52 PM   #45
gearhead

Home Depot has the 4650 watt Champion Inverter remote start on sale for $799 ($100 off) until July 4. I just bought 2 of them with the parallel kit and protective vinyl cover.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion...0993/315272388
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 12:22 AM   #46
Luis25251325
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The Honda eu3000 would probably answer all your needs. It is efficient, quiet and can run about 20 hours with a full fuel tank (gas). It's expensive but, it's a Honda.

We had a Honda 2000 for emergency use. It was flawless when we needed it.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...b0b39b6a86337c
I need more information about this machine
Luis25251325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #47
DonP

Quote:
I have a keystone passport ultralight. 30 amp. I dont know anything about generators or motors in general. Most of our time in my RV has been spent on-grid, but I'm planning to venture into boondocking. If it were just me I'd be comfortable being fully off grid, but I have small kids and want this to be an enriching adventure, not just a struggle for survival, so im getting a generator.

I have no idea what makes a good quality engine so hoping yall can point me in the right direction. I want one that burns gas and/or propane, not just a massive backup battery, not looking for a solar panel one either, that won't work well where im at. I also want one of the full size ones that lasts 10+ hours, hoping for one that lasts longer than that. Other than that I dont know what I should be watching out for.
Like you I'm not an "engine" guy. I purchased a Honda 2000i, one pull start, quiet, runs for hours, expensive and absolutely no problems with it for the last 10 years. I take it to the Honda dealer every couple of years for service and couldn't be happier. My son-in-law bought a Champion used it once returned it and bought a Honda. Initial cost is one thing, I understand that but the $1000 I spent 10 years ago comes out to only $100 per year.

FYI I checked prices on a used Honda generator at the time and they were only about $150 less then a new one. Just my thoughts, thanks and enjoy going "off grid".
Old 08-29-2022, 06:06 AM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredapowell View Post
I'd go to a dealer who sells multiple brands and listen to the generators at different loads before buying. I'd also do some research here into longevity and upkeep. I bought two Honda eu2000i in 2012 (one for my trailer when traveling and the other to connect in parallel when the power goes out at my house). I've had no issues and do all of my own maintenance. When my solar panels do not receive enough sunlight to charge my batteries, I only use the one I keep in the trailer.
I'd look "long and hard" at the credibility of that website to "make recommendations about an RV generator for campground use. Their "first choice" is the Champion 76553. THAT IS AN "OPEN FRAME CONTRACTOR GENERATOR"...

It is NOT (I repeat NOT) going to operate anywhere near 59 dB. The Champion spec sheet lists 68dB (at 1/4 load). Most National Forest/National Park campgrounds limit all machinery to 60 dB. That "first choice" isn't close when you go beyond the 1/4 load (950 watts) demand on the generator.

While they may have spent (as the article suggests) "tens of hours reviewing technical specifications and customer feedback", they apparently never set up that generator in a campground and watched the faces of the campers in the adjacent sites.....

Open frame generators are not good choices for use in any camping environment except for "boondocking far away from any other campsite".....

Your choice of Honda inverter generators (or most other inverter generator brands) is a much better choice than what's offered as "first choice for RV use" on that website !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator