Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2021, 07:58 PM   #1
Silverdillo

Freezin in the South

We're being promised the freezing temps all the way to the gulf coast and I don't have any experience. I'm full time in a 2020 Alpine, propane tanks are full-ish but re-fill is close, I plan to wrap my water hose with towels. Anything else? I'll leave kitchen and bath faucets running or should I close the drains and turn on tank heaters? I'm lost below 40º
Silverdillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Old Mustanger

You need to unhook the water hose until you can get a heated one. Find an extra propane tank so that you can always have 2 hooked up when 1 is ready for refill. Find a way to try to keep the propane tanks warm so they completely empty instead of only halfway, really frustrating to o to town for refilling and it only take 3 gallons to fill instead of 7. Good luck and stay as warm as you can.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:38 AM   #3
notanlines

Sargent, TX, NE, GA? We don't know where you are, and your "propane tanks are full-ish but re-fill is close" can't be both ways. And why is one of them not completely full? Running both turned on is not smart, but in cold, cold weather it is a big time no no. They need to be full and it wouldn't hurt to keep a full 20 pound sitting around just in case.....
We use an electric heat wrap around our tanks so that they won't freeze up when using the generator. Cheap insurance and only $99.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:11 AM   #4
gearhead

Most likely he is in Sargent Texas. On the coast, south of Galveston.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 04:59 AM   #5
notanlines

We never did hear back from you concerning your furnace soot. Hoping you got that taken care of. One other thing, your fireplace and one space heater will heat that whole beast no problem. That won't take care of your basement/undercarriage area. Might want to consider a small one in there if you don't run the furnace. Good luck to you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:11 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Your Alpine should function quite well in below freezing temps. But, you do need to keep your furnace running so the underbelly keeps warm and keeps pipes from freezing.

If temps get below freezing, you should run your water from your fresh water tank, as it is also heated and keep from freezing. Disconnect your water hose and drain it out. You don't have to put it away if it's empty, just make sure it's drained completely. They will freeze unless you have a heated hose.

The biggest reason for filling your fresh water tank and using water from there, is not because of the hose. It's because of the campground supplied water bib. THEY freeze too. Once frozen, you can't turn the faucet on or off. And yes, they will still freeze up if you are using your fresh water tank. So, when things thaw out in the middle of the day, take the time to fill your tanks again, then drain the hoses again. Because, once the campground faucet freezes up, you won't have water there.

The trailer, if running the furnace, keeping the tanks heaters turned on and using a bit of common sense, your Alpine will do fine in temps to near zero degrees. BUT, you will go through an incredible amount of propane. Be prepared to fill a 30 pound tank every other day.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
Silverdillo

Sargent TX

Yes, down in Sargent TX on the gulf. I've blown out the heater but still get a little soot, there's no access panel so I'll have to remove the unit when it gets warmer. I have my own property with pads and RV cover and my water and filters are all wrapped and should survive. I've wrapped my water hose and will keep a faucet cracked during the night but should get my heated hose Tues/Wed. I've got a temp sensor in the belly compartment. Both tanks are full and I'll be good for the next few days.

Thanks for all the replies. This is just the first really frigid winter since I've been full time and I'm trying not to make a real bone-head mistake in these temps.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Wrapping your water hose with insulation may not get it done. We are seeing really cold here for the first time in a few years. Your hose bib may freeze so get a heating cable to wrap the hose bib and cover with a bit of insulation as well. Since you are full timing on your own place, it might make sense to get a large propane tank installed by a propane company and have a connection to your camper. Continually refilling 20 or 30 gallon tanks will get old in the winter if you use the propane to keep your camper warm. Probably several propane companies near you will get it done.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GardenHOM...RoCMoAQAvD_BwE
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverdillo View Post
Yes, down in Sargent TX on the gulf. I've blown out the heater but still get a little soot, there's no access panel so I'll have to remove the unit when it gets warmer. I have my own property with pads and RV cover and my water and filters are all wrapped and should survive. I've wrapped my water hose and will keep a faucet cracked during the night but should get my heated hose Tues/Wed. I've got a temp sensor in the belly compartment. Both tanks are full and I'll be good for the next few days.

Thanks for all the replies. This is just the first really frigid winter since I've been full time and I'm trying not to make a real bone-head mistake in these temps.
Be careful leaving water turned on at a faucet in any trailer during cold/freezing weather conditions. If (always a possibility) the sewer drain hose happens to freeze and stop water from flowing through it, the holding tank will then fill up and overflow the sink INSIDE the RV....

It's best to disconnect the sewer hose, disconnect the water supply hose and rely on "internal water supply and internal water storage" during freezing temperatures and ONLY connect a hose (supply or drain) to the RV for the express purpose of filling or emptying the onboard tanks.

Once a sewer hose freezes to the outlet and "back up to the valve" is solid ice, you're "doomed" until the weather warms up.

Don't risk leaving water running inside an RV and relying on the sewer dump to not freeze.... That "leap of faith" has doomed many RV'ers who tried to take the shortcut.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 09:00 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

We haven't seen this SXXX stuff like this in the 25 years we have lived here at our property. 14F right now and it likely won't thaw out till mid-week or later. Geesh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	32004   Click image for larger version

Name:	snow2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	32005  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:57 AM   #11
Silverdillo

freezin in the south

well, we're at 19º this morning. power went out somewhere around 2am. It was a major PIA setting it up at 2am in the freezing sleet and snow but I sure am glad I bought my Predator 3500. Got it just before inauguration and glad to have it .

How's Medina lake look? I grew up in San Antonio and haven't been there in years
Old 02-15-2021, 07:49 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

They're Coming

Well boys get ready! There's apparently a lot more to this freezing blast than we know. It looks like creatures from the polar regions realize that the central US is going to become the north/south poles and are sending scouts so they can garner the best locations when we all freeze. This pic was taken in Oak Cliff, a suburb of Dallas. Locals believe this is one of the scouts, possibly not alone, sent to stake out territory claims. Some believe that they have seen other polar bears stalking the frozen lakes looking for migrating seals that may have made it to the new "frozen land". Said with tongue in cheek....sort of.

Sorry, thought I had rotated it but apparently not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_0002.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	32009  
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:24 AM   #13
Laredo Tugger

What?? This can't be. What about our global warming agenda? I guess just telling people to keep wearing those stupid mask as a "warming device" will work until they come up with another assault on freedoms plan. Just sayin....
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #14
B-O-B'03

Our power went out early this morning.

I got up a little before 5 and covered the pool equipment with blankets and a tarp.

I had previously created a 30 to 50 amp male/male adapter cable so I could plug my Champion generator into the 50 amp outlet on the driveway. I flipped off the main and all the 220 breakers except the one for the RV outlet and cranked it up.

At least we can run a few things in the house (especially the coffee maker) and I put a 150 watt work lamp under the pool equipment blankets... hoping that will be enough to keep things safe.

The top of the pool is frozen and in the 25+ years we have lived here that has never happened.

My weather station said it was 6 degrees out when I got up this morning and the low tonight is supposed to be 2

-Brian
Old 02-15-2021, 11:26 AM   #15
jim1

Hi just a heads up back feeding power to your house from a portable gen set could probably cause death or very serious injury to the utility workers trying to restore your power. 39 years as a Power Lineman I've seen lot's of scary do it your self fixes from welders to motor homes back feeding to the house where there is potential for the power to back feed through the transformer and inducing high voltage on the power line that the nice Lineman that is freezing his *** off all night to fix so you Nice people can have hot coffee in the morning. Not trying to be an A-hole about it but someone's life may be in jeopardy by not realizing the Hazards. Stay safe and thank a utility worker if you get a chance. Best job ever. Loved every minute of it even the cold crappy nights.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:12 PM   #16
dutchmensport

Some interesting "read" on the internet gossip columns: Apparently this frozen state of the US of A has some Global Warming enthusiasts rethinking things. And those who are advocates for the world going "green" and pushing wind power, are also rethinking things now, as wind mills are frozen in place, and some locations are even starting to rotate the power grid outages to conserve electric usage.

It's a strange, strange world we're livin' Master Jack.
No hard feelings if .... never look back.
It's a very strange world, and I love you , Mater Jack!

Be careful out there folks. Just take care and do all you can to keep warm.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #17
gregrc75

Certainly is interesting - it’s forecasted to be 52 here in Southeastern Massachusetts tomorrow.

Greg
2022 Cougar 25RDS
2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD gas
Fairhaven, MA
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:40 PM   #18
Life-in-Him

It was 55 here
That was adding the "absolute" numbers of windchill and temp.

See, we can prove anything we want. 🤔😂😎
|-23| + |-32|>55
🤓
Life-in-Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life-in-Him View Post
It was 55 here
That was adding the "absolute" numbers of windchill and temp.

See, we can prove anything we want. 🤔😂😎
|-23| + |-32|>55
🤓

^^^^Now I love that thinking! Reckon you could pass that formula by my bank? I'm thinking it might really help my account balance!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #20
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi just a heads up back feeding power to your house from a portable gen set could probably cause death or very serious injury to the utility workers trying to restore your power. 39 years as a Power Lineman I've seen lot's of scary do it your self fixes from welders to motor homes back feeding to the house where there is potential for the power to back feed through the transformer and inducing high voltage on the power line that the nice Lineman that is freezing his *** off all night to fix so you Nice people can have hot coffee in the morning. Not trying to be an A-hole about it but someone's life may be in jeopardy by not realizing the Hazards. Stay safe and thank a utility worker if you get a chance. Best job ever. Loved every minute of it even the cold crappy nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
... I flipped off the main and all the 220 breakers except the one for the RV outlet and cranked it up.
I don't think I'll be back feeding with the main breaker in the panel flipped?

I appreciate the utility workers and that is the reason for turning off the main.

Going on 14 hours of no power, glad the Champion is holding. 14 degrees for the high, so far, today

-Brian