Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2022, 06:55 AM   #1
Courser Farm

Norcold isn't

Hi: 24RDS 2021. Frig all cold/freezing 2 days ago, today I'm packing for a trip and blue light is on and frig is NOT cold at all. Been troubleshooting but with no luck. Any ideas? TIA
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Norcold 2118? Any trouble codes on display?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 08:26 AM   #3
wrvond

What is your power source?
The voltage required to start the unit is 10.9 volts. In order to prevent completely draining the battery, the unit will automatically shut-off when the DC supply voltage becomes too low (10.4 volts). It will not restart until the DC voltage increases to 11.8 volts.
I had my camper disconnected from shore power for several hours with several different DC power drains. When the battery voltage got low enough the blue light on the refrigerator came on and it started beeping.
The first thing I'd do is verify shore power hasn't tripped and left you running on battery.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Courser Farm

To Chuckster57- No codes showing! Blue light on, and set at 5.

To WRVond- Power is a 30 amp post, with surge unit- all green lights. We have a whole house generator but we haven't lost power in a couple months. The battery is at 13.7.
Puzzling. 6mos of use.

I didn't do a hard reset with leaving it off for 5 min so I'll try that now.
Old 04-04-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Norcold 2118? Any trouble codes on display?
Norcold N10dcssl
Old 04-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #6
ChuckS

Since this is a DC fridge this is the service manual for that series fridge.. I believe

I would use it and run the diagnostics tests.

There is also a 15 amp fuse for this unit to take a look at

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...N10DCX-1EN.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:28 AM   #7
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Since this is a DC fridge this is the service manual for that series fridge.. I believe

I would use it and run the diagnostics tests.

There is also a 15 amp fuse for this unit to take a look at

https://norcold.com/wp-content/uploa...N10DCX-1EN.pdf
Thanks for this. I got to the right test, but not being much of an electrician.... I guess I'm looking at a new control module. But first I'll see what Norcold says. Not gonna take it to the dealer and have it sit there for months. I know where there is a 20 amp fuse for it, but need to see if I can find the 15 you refer to and that I see in the manual. "In-Line" is above my pay grade. Thanks for your help, friend.
Old 04-04-2022, 10:49 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Thanks for this. I got to the right test, but not being much of an electrician.... I guess I'm looking at a new control module. But first I'll see what Norcold says. Not gonna take it to the dealer and have it sit there for months. I know where there is a 20 amp fuse for it, but need to see if I can find the 15 you refer to and that I see in the manual. "In-Line" is above my pay grade. Thanks for your help, friend.
Norcold has "authorized repair centers" for their products that are not "RV dealerships"... Take a look at their repair center list and you may find one that is near you and can get you in for a check faster than the RV service center. Norcold doesn't care which of their service centers does the work, so you might be able to do an "end run" around the trailer dealer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Norcold has "authorized repair centers" for their products that are not "RV dealerships"... Take a look at their repair center list and you may find one that is near you and can get you in for a check faster than the RV service center. Norcold doesn't care which of their service centers does the work, so you might be able to do an "end run" around the trailer dealer.....
Yes thanks! And I've found a few that we are familiar with. That's the route we shall take!
Old 04-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courser Farm View Post
Norcold N10dcssl
I was guessing at the model number, sounds like your on track.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:05 PM   #11
gearhead

Find you a service center that you like and make friends with them. They usually have to repair components to stay in business.
Usually a better repair than your selling dealer.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:10 PM   #12
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Find you a service center that you like and make friends with them. They usually have to repair components to stay in business.
Usually a better repair than your selling dealer.
It will be a cold you know where before we take it to the dealer! Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:00 AM   #13
SouthTX

Hi!
I am having the exact issue you describe - a Norcold N10DC 12V All blue lights on, set on 5, appears to be working but isn't cold.

Did you ever resolve your issue and if so, what was the solution?
SouthTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:13 PM   #14
Rving life

Pull the outside grill (vent) to refrigerator and check the small fans that blow air across the coils and make sure they are operating. I had the same problem and found that 2 of the 3 fans had failed. For around $15 each I replaced fans with ball bearing instead of plastic, also upped the fans rpms.
Rving life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:38 AM   #15
adm1949

I posted this earlier and didn't get much response....
Evidently, we had a power surge while my 25RDS was in storage. I have a surge protector but it must not have protected the trailer. We found the trailer had no power. I turned off the battery power and the 50amp and then turned them back on. Everything in the trailer works except the Norcold N10DCSSL fridge. Found the 15amp fuse was bad. Changed it but the fridge would not cool. After removing the fridge from the trailer we found that the "eyebrow" panel had a burnt connection going to the "magnet" switch. Norcold says the part is on backorder with no ETA. We really liked the fridge until this happened. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If you did, what did you do? Thanks for any help I can get. I really don't want to buy another 12V fridge if I can help it.
//////////////////
For others who have a 12v fridge that isn't getting cold, you may have the same problem I'm having. The lights on the "eyebrow" panel look good but the fridge isn't getting cold. In my case, the technician found that the connection from the panel to the magnet switch that tells the compressor to start is burned and isn't sending any voltage. Norcold isn't any help. They are telling me to go ahead and order the part and just wait for it. A new fridge is nearly $1500. Clearly, Norcold has these parts because they are still producing new fridges that use that part. Anyway, Norcold is a zero star company for their customer service.