Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2023, 04:40 PM   #1
Adrian Iverson

GFIC Plugs no working

There are several GFIC plugs protected but only one with a reset button.
Changed that one to a new one and still none of plugs working. We are stumped.
Worked well since May, plugged in a heater which we've been using all winter and it tripped the switch. Changed the GFIC and still does not work.
Any suggestions.
Adrian Iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:54 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum

Did you make sure to hook the Romex back up correctly? The “HOT” side goes to the LINE side
The “cold” side goes to the load side.

The hot side is 120VAC “IN” and cold side is “OUT”.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

OK, let's make sure we're all on the same page:

You say that the GFCI circuits have been working since May with no problems, that you plugged in a heater that you've been using all winter and the GFCI tripped. You replaced the GFCI but it still "trips when reset"...

1. When you replaced the GFCI, did you disconnect the heater?
2. Have you use a "outlet circuit tester" on each of the GFCI protected outlets ?
3. Have you verified that ALL the outlets on the GFCI circuit are not being used? In other words, that some other outlet may have an appliance that failed plugged in and that, not the heater is what's causing your problem.

I've seen a lot of outlets with the neutral (white) wire slip out of the "knife blade connector" in our CHEAP AS CRAP RV OUTLETS and I'd guess that might be what's happened to you. You'll need to start with the outlet the heater was plugged into, pull it out of the wall, remove the back cover, check for "burned insulation" or loose wires at the cheap connectors. Then reassemble that outlet and move to the next one. Work back toward the GFCI plug. Since you "changed the GFCI outlet" you might want to first doublecheck that you did wire the neutral and the hot leads to the correct terminals on the plug. Then, start with the "known last good operation of the system" which is where the heater was plugged in and things stopped working correctly.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:18 AM   #4
WNY Bullet

Silly question, but have you checked the breaker?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #5
Weldon

See John's post. My TT did something similar and it was due to the cheap outlets. Ended up replacing 4 regular outlets and a GFCI, and haven't had an issue since. Got them all at home depot, but I'm a little biased at where I shop after my employment for way over a dozen years seriously, use a meter from closest to the GFCI and see where the power stops, or do like I did and replace them all to avoid future issues like this. I even replaced my outdoor outlet
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote