Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2023, 01:01 PM   #1
Bottomdweller

Microwave oven

Well, I'm about ready to use all my remaining ammunition on my aggravating Hotpoint microwave. The fuse looks like it's blown, but to make sure and to change it out I've got to remove the front cover. How ever, it's being held in place by two little, pidley a****, sorry a""* freaking screws. The question for the New Year is, do I have to remove the unit itself just to get to these screws?
Thanks y'all for your patience.
O, by the way, Happy New Year.
Bottomdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 01:45 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If it’s an under counter style, then those screws should be accessible from the front I would think. Model #?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:37 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomdweller View Post
Well, I'm about ready to use all my remaining ammunition on my aggravating Hotpoint microwave. The fuse looks like it's blown, but to make sure and to change it out I've got to remove the front cover. How ever, it's being held in place by two little, pidley a****, sorry a""* freaking screws. The question for the New Year is, do I have to remove the unit itself just to get to these screws?
Thanks y'all for your patience.
O, by the way, Happy New Year.

Happy New Year to you too! How do you know there are 2 screws if you can't see them?

The last under cabinet units I've worked on had to be removed to get the cover off. However, that is an extremely easy job. 2 screws in the bottom of the cabinet above (remove) while supporting the front of the unit, lift up at the back and pull forward (all this after you have unplugged it in the cabinet above). Now you can remove the entire cover off the microwave and do what you need. Installation is the process reversed.

A word of caution; the last one I did was residential for my daughter. Be sure and don't cover the electric burners with a nice blanket then let DW support the microwave (laying/moving across the top of the stove below) and turn on a burner beneath the blanket! Be aware....that smoldering blanket will smell like roasting marshmallows as DW, DD and I wondered what it was....until we saw the smoke! Oh, you have GAS burners! Oh well, couldn't help myself....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:05 PM   #4
Bottomdweller

Did you get my last response?
Old 01-02-2023, 08:15 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Not seen anything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:34 PM   #6
Bottomdweller

Gotcha, was prying the front cover and noticed the two screws approximately 2" back between the microwave and the cabinet. It doesn't appear to be a big deal to remove the unit, but didn't want to if I didn't have to. Thanks y'all for your assistance and patience. I figured if I bust it up in removing it, I was going to have to buy another one anyway.
Old 01-03-2023, 07:33 AM   #7
Bottomdweller

Sorry about that Chuck, had to go buy some more ammo just in case. Lololololololol The Mod is EM044KIW. Highpoint. I have always cut myself short in the self-confidence Dept. I usually take care of business, it just takes me longer than most. Quality rather than quantity!!! Right? There's no such thing as a 30min job. Lol
Old 01-15-2023, 08:12 AM   #8
Domino3665

Right from the get-go…
How old is the microwave? ��
Let’s do some math. Repair or Replace?
Domino3665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:18 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino3665 View Post
Right from the get-go…
How old is the microwave? ��
Let’s do some math. Repair or Replace?
He says in his profile he owns a 2018 camper so guessing a 5 year old microwave. I had a Forest River toy hauler and it had a bad microwave. It was built into a cabinet above the kitchen counter and had a fascia to keep it in place. The fascia was screwed to the cabinet and the microwave had a couple screws through the fascia into the edge of the microwave to keep it in place.

I made a removed the dead microwave and measured, went to Wally's and bought one that was pretty much the same size. I had to drill a couple of shallow holes that aligned with those in the fascia and screwed it to the fascia and then replaced the whole thing back where the original went. It wasn't much of a job and now had a working microwave. I am not real sure how "purpose built" an RV microwave is but it doesn't seem to have made any difference in my case. Don't recall brands, etc as it was quite awhile back.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:24 PM   #10
Bottomdweller

Thanks everyone for your help. I did some research on the Highpoint and didn't like my findings. So, I purchased a new unit that fit perfectly in the spot.