Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2023, 02:44 AM   #1
RickV

Permanent Site

I wanted to wait until this was a done deal to post about it, last week we closed on a piece of property just under an acre near Sylva, NC. We had been looking for a piece of land with a Mountain view that already had a well, septic and power and easy access so we could spend 4 or 5 months there with our 5th Wheel. There are two power, water and septic setups water is a shared 180' deep well. We went partners with my Nephew who also RVs. The views are awesome only bad thing is there is a 47 year old MH and a junk 5th Wheel that will need to be demoed. If anyone lives in that area and knows a reasonable company that can demo the junk and do some earthwork as we will will need some RV pads please let me know. Here is a link to some more pictures https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPAHyJGqfJSgqYU...M3EKA?e=JAULag
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial 2.png
Views:	253
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	42632   Click image for larger version

Name:	5174cde48e0422a1.png
Views:	160
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	42633   Click image for larger version

Name:	178be150aff84741.png
Views:	125
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	42634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221012_40482.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	42635  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Congratulations! Looks like you have a little work in front of you but a lot of fun as well!

I think we're going to have to do what you've done and look outside FL for property. I'm thinking GA for us. We want to stay within a fairly close distance to our daughter in Tallahassee but the limitations that the counties and the state place on property, insurance and the ability to use an RV has finally put me off after a few years of searching.

You're not too far from us looks like from the pics NC is going to be a really nice alternative to your FL location. We weren't too far from you the other day in Chiefland headed to Cedar Key for a week.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:31 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Congratulations! Looks like you have a little work in front of you but a lot of fun as well!

I think we're going to have to do what you've done and look outside FL for property. I'm thinking GA for us. We want to stay within a fairly close distance to our daughter in Tallahassee but the limitations that the counties and the state place on property, insurance and the ability to use an RV has finally put me off after a few years of searching.

You're not too far from us looks like from the pics NC is going to be a really nice alternative to your FL location. We weren't too far from you the other day in Chiefland headed to Cedar Key for a week.
The plan is to head up there with the 5ver sometime in May. I will be able to back it in next to the MH where it is pretty level for a temporary spot. I will have to install a 50 amp plug at the power pedestal because for some reason the Junk 5ver is hard wired. Then get someone out there with a front end loader to make a few pads, then get the demo stuff done. We are thinking about just leaving the 5ver there and either building a pole barn or just getting one of those RV Carports.
When you were in Chiefland you were about about 35 miles from us. The county we live in (Columbia) is pretty easy going about codes and stuff like that, the only time there is any issue is if there are deed restrictions. So unless you want to be near the Gulf you may want to search around here.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-10-2023, 04:49 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Just a suggestion, but is there any way you could keep the MH and the junk fifth wheel. Get them pulled off the site and set them up for extra space, like a utility shed. The extra "roof" coverage could come in real handy for storing a lot of stuff, turning that space into a work area, wood shop, craft area, even set up a gigantic model electric train set!

I don't know the logistics of your property or the zoning codes, but if there is any way you could utilize the old stuff, that might be more beneficial than demolishing it all.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:25 AM   #5
jasin1

don’t know if it would work in this situation but i’ve heard of people contacting their local fire dept to do a controlled burn on old structures…they get some training out of it and your left with a much smaller cleanup after it’s done
Old 01-10-2023, 07:13 AM   #6
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Just a suggestion, but is there any way you could keep the MH and the junk fifth wheel. Get them pulled off the site and set them up for extra space, like a utility shed. The extra "roof" coverage could come in real handy for storing a lot of stuff, turning that space into a work area, wood shop, craft area, even set up a gigantic model electric train set!

I don't know the logistics of your property or the zoning codes, but if there is any way you could utilize the old stuff, that might be more beneficial than demolishing it all.
We had thought about renovating the MH but the Roof is ready to fall in and leaks bad. The 5ver isn't much better. We've talked about just getting a storage container for storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
don’t know if it would work in this situation but i’ve heard of people contacting their local fire dept to do a controlled burn on old structures…they get some training out of it and your left with a much smaller cleanup after it’s done
I checked into that but, the MH is 47 years old and has asbestos so it is a no-go. There was a local EMT that was parked in the site next to us all of Sept. and Oct. he said "Most Fires here in Jackson County are Electrical" and winked .

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 01-10-2023, 07:16 AM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
I was a member of the Mico VFD and we would never do a "controlled burn" for training purposes as the smoke from a home or mobile home contains far too many toxins. It is also illegal around here to burn a home of any sort to get rid of it and I assume the state's fire marshal would be called in to investigate this type of situation to see if it was arson or accidental.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:09 AM   #8
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I was a member of the Mico VFD and we would never do a "controlled burn" for training purposes as the smoke from a home or mobile home contains far too many toxins. It is also illegal around here to burn a home of any sort to get rid of it and I assume the state's fire marshal would be called in to investigate this type of situation to see if it was arson or accidental.
The EPA only lists asbestos as well as burning solid waste …but controlled burns do happen and many little volunteer fire companys operate by their own set of “practices” governed by the internal politics of the organization.

if i can find it i will post a news article about a local controlled burn i saw in the past

here’s the EPA article….
https://www.epa.gov/large-scale-resi...-fire-training
Old 01-15-2023, 08:56 AM   #9
jimd1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I wanted to wait until this was a done deal to post about it, last week we closed on a piece of property just under an acre near Sylva, NC. We had been looking for a piece of land with a Mountain view that already had a well, septic and power and easy access so we could spend 4 or 5 months there with our 5th Wheel. There are two power, water and septic setups water is a shared 180' deep well. We went partners with my Nephew who also RVs. The views are awesome only bad thing is there is a 47 year old MH and a junk 5th Wheel that will need to be demoed. If anyone lives in that area and knows a reasonable company that can demo the junk and do some earthwork as we will will need some RV pads please let me know. Here is a link to some more pictures https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApPAHyJGqfJSgqYU...M3EKA?e=JAULag

Wow, great find... congratulations Rick! You did say you were going to put two extra pads off to the side as sort of "Harvest Host" pads for your Keystone friends here on the Forum, didn't you? It would be a great stop-over point for Northeast folks heading south to FL (like Patti and I are about to do in a few weeks) Good luck getting it set up... it's a gorgeous lot!!!
jimd1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:59 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimd1050 View Post
Wow, great find... congratulations Rick! You did say you were going to put two extra pads off to the side as sort of "Harvest Host" pads for your Keystone friends here on the Forum, didn't you? It would be a great stop-over point for Northeast folks heading south to FL (like Patti and I are about to do in a few weeks) Good luck getting it set up... it's a gorgeous lot!!!
Thanks. No Harvest Host's plans on the agenda for there . But if you or anyone heading south to Florida needs a one night stop over just contact me via PM, we have a plenty of room and I can give you water and 15 amp power, this is at our home in North Central Florida.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK