Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #21
wegone

Goodness, I can't think of any advantage to doing this at all.
It even makes me wonder if the suspension is that iffy, then what can we expect pulling it over rough highways?
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #22
Hugo-H

it ain't any problem driving it on highways, or others.
My Q is only, if Dexter advices to put it on jack stands under the frame, when storing for a longer period of time, there has to be a serious reason to it...
Old 02-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #23
MaDMaXX

So where are you supposed to raise it up to change wheels? Discount tire just jacked mine up to switch to the spare and just did it under the axles close to the wheels.
MaDMaXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 10:57 PM   #24
fjr vfr

Make sure if Discount tire jacks it under the axle the jack should be very close to the wheel, ideally under the springs. If they go to far inward they can bend the axle.
It's okay as long as you stay close, best where the axle and springs bolt together.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:38 AM   #25
Hugo-H

changing a wheel is a short term action... What I'm talking about, is long term storage, like for winterizing it, and relieving the tires and springs during the time of storage... Then I would place jack stands half way the front (between front axle and front of the trailer) and second half way the back (between rear axle and back of trailer)... When I changed my brake shoes a few months ago, I did put jack stands under the axle, almost near the springs...but that was only for a few days...
Old 02-16-2023, 02:59 AM   #26
jasin1

if i was that worried about the tires i would just take them off during the winter and store them in my garage…get a second set of old wheels and tires to leave on over the winter …or just remove the wheels and jack it up and block it with timbers over the winter so it isn’t so high up in the air..but this way could be a bit precarious to execute.

also if you think about it if you jack the entire trailer up off the ground and have the tires and suspension hanging to relieve stress…..aren’t you just causing opposite stress?… the weight of wheels and axles just hanging on the springs seems like a unnatural condition…i would think just jacking up a little or to take some of the weight off would be a happy middle ground
Old 02-16-2023, 03:59 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo-H View Post
it ain't any problem driving it on highways, or others.
My Q is only, if Dexter advices to put it on jack stands under the frame, when storing for a longer period of time, there has to be a serious reason to it...
I believe you are over thing the term "longer period of time". You may define that as several weeks, others several years. The only time I've seen a camper jacked up and supported by the frame is when it's used as a permanent set up. Otherwise, enjoy the exercise as it won't make a bit of difference to the unit. Don't believe that? Then go visit a salvage yard and look at vehichles that have set on wheels for decades, the springs aren't flattened out.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:27 AM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
Make sure if Discount tire jacks it under the axle the jack should be very close to the wheel, ideally under the springs. If they go to far inward they can bend the axle.
It's okay as long as you stay close, best where the axle and springs bolt together.
In the past when having Discount Tire replace they have placed the jacks correctly. It doesn't hurt to check them, as they need to do trailers in the parking lot.

As shown below this will not hurt a thing.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:40 AM   #29
Max23

Soo, I'm sure they have their reasons, maybe in the way or something I don't know. Maybe these are the only jacks they have, but, why wouldn't they just use 1 jack and put it on the frame between the two axles instead of 2 jacks? I mean, your right, the way its done there is totally fine, just curious as to their reasoning for 2 jack. Also, not stating this as a they don't know what they are doing, not at all. Again, works fine. Just a curiosity question. What's their reasoning?
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:51 AM   #30
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Soo, I'm sure they have their reasons, maybe in the way or something I don't know. Maybe these are the only jacks they have, but, why wouldn't they just use 1 jack and put it on the frame between the two axles instead of 2 jacks? I mean, your right, the way its done there is totally fine, just curious as to their reasoning for 2 jack. Also, not stating this as a they don't know what they are doing, not at all. Again, works fine. Just a curiosity question. What's their reasoning?
If you put one jack under the frame all the weight is supported at that single point. Jacking up under each axel distributes the weight along 3 points where the axel assembly mounts to the frame.
Old 02-16-2023, 05:56 AM   #31
Max23

Ok, ya, see that. I wasn't thinking about the fact that there isn't enough space in there to spread the weight out. So, stupid question, but hey, it's early in the morning here, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. LOL. And ya, this way is much faster than one at a time with a jack stand or something. Got it, thanks for waking me up!!!! LOL
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 06:34 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, ya, see that. I wasn't thinking about the fact that there isn't enough space in there to spread the weight out. So, stupid question, but hey, it's early in the morning here, coffee hasn't kicked in yet. LOL. And ya, this way is much faster than one at a time with a jack stand or something. Got it, thanks for waking me up!!!! LOL
The only "stupid questions" are the ones NOT ASKED. When I was teaching electrical courses in college I repeated that often, adding "if anyone admonishes anyone for asking a question they will be asked to leave. ALLWAYS ask if you have a question, that's how we learn.
Old 02-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #33
chuckster57
Site Team

Previous employer used single jack between the tires and a section of steel square tubing across both spring perches.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #34
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
if i was that worried about the tires i would just take them off during the winter and store them in my garage…get a second set of old wheels and tires to leave on over the winter …or just remove the wheels and jack it up and block it with timbers over the winter so it isn’t so high up in the air..but this way could be a bit precarious to execute.

also if you think about it if you jack the entire trailer up off the ground and have the tires and suspension hanging to relieve stress…..aren’t you just causing opposite stress?… the weight of wheels and axles just hanging on the springs seems like a unnatural condition…i would think just jacking up a little or to take some of the weight off would be a happy middle ground

I can understand your way of thinking... but then, for what reason would a company like Dexter recommend for long term storage, to put the frame on jack stands, in order to release any pressure from wheels and springs?
Old 02-16-2023, 08:45 AM   #35
MaDMaXX

Quote:
I can understand your way of thinking... but then, for what reason would a company like Dexter recommend for long term storage, to put the frame on jack stands, in order to release any pressure from wheels and springs?
Missing definition - what is "long term" ?
Old 02-16-2023, 09:00 AM   #36
Hugo-H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDMaXX View Post
Missing definition - what is "long term" ?

...as I've mentioned before...long term is several months, for example time during winter...when TT is not in use..
Old 02-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #37
MaDMaXX

I meant what does Dexter class long-term as? Not what do you want it to be.
Old 02-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #38
Hugo-H

for them, Dexter, they refer to long term the same as i did...for example for winter season...so several months...
Old 02-16-2023, 10:36 AM   #39
fjr vfr

Quote:
for them, Dexter, they refer to long term the same as i did...for example for winter season...so several months...
It's obvious you're going to do it regardless any other opinions, so just do it.
It seems you're trying to convince yourself before going forward. No one is going to change your mind about it, so good luck have fun and don't hurt yourself.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 11:09 AM   #40
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
It's obvious you're going to do it regardless any other opinions, so just do it.
It seems you're trying to convince yourself before going forward. No one is going to change your mind about it, so good luck have fun and don't hurt yourself.
Yep, I think this is where we’re headed with this thread. Never mind that tens of thousands of RV dealers all around the world NEVER do this.The mind is made up.
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote