Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2022, 09:13 AM   #1
wired1236

InCommand showing a Zero Temp

All-

I have a 2023 Keystone Cougar with the inCommand and have a problem. The rear AC unit controls show a current temp of "0" degrees (it's not zero degrees in the trailer). So, the furnace won't turn on. There are other posts here that say they show a "-" degrees but I show a "0".

I googled the issue and have found others have had something like this happen. I have done all the power resets suggested but it's not helping. I do have an appt to take it in today for warranty repair but any other suggestions? The trailer is only a few months old so I find it hard to believe the temp sensor or BUS system just went bad. I did find a bulletin from Keystone saying the gateway located in the AC unit may have to be replaced.
wired1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1236 View Post
All-

I have a 2023 Keystone Cougar with the inCommand and have a problem. The rear AC unit controls show a current temp of "0" degrees (it's not zero degrees in the trailer). So, the furnace won't turn on. There are other posts here that say they show a "-" degrees but I show a "0".

I googled the issue and have found others have had something like this happen. I have done all the power resets suggested but it's not helping. I do have an appt to take it in today for warranty repair but any other suggestions? The trailer is only a few months old so I find it hard to believe the temp sensor or BUS system just went bad. I did find a bulletin from Keystone saying the gateway located in the AC unit may have to be replaced.
I don't know if your new 2023 is using Coleman or Dometic Roof AC units. The furnace gets its signal to turn on from the Zone 1 control board up on the roof.

Since you have a temp reading of (0 degrees) which you state is not the actual temp then the first thing I would do is remove the two wires that plug into that Roof AC gateway and measure the resistance at those two wire ends.

Doing so will tell you what that remote temp sensor inside located in the Zone 1 living area is actually reading.

Once you have verified the remote temp sensor is or isn't reading correctly by its resistance reading then you can TS further.

In your case since this is a brand new unit it might just be a poorly installed connection for either the temp sensor or the two furnace signal wires that run from the roof down to the Furnace control board.

Lastly if you verified the furnace fuse located inside your power center panel is good then located on the outside of your Dometic Atwood DFM35 series furnace is a small black toggle switch.

If the toggle switch tripped off the furnace has No 12 volts power to it..

** Note - the furnace fuse typcally used for the Dometic Atwood units in your power center panel is usually a Black resettable fuse that gives folks a lot of trouble.. Be sure to ohm that fuse with your multimeter and verify that resettable fuse is good

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #3
wired1236

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I don't know if your new 2023 is using Coleman or Dometic Roof AC units. The furnace gets its signal to turn on from the Zone 1 control board up on the roof.

Since you have a temp reading of (0 degrees) which you state is not the actual temp then the first thing I would do is remove the two wires that plug into that Roof AC gateway and measure the resistance at those two wire ends.

Doing so will tell you what that remote temp sensor inside located in the Zone 1 living area is actually reading.

Once you have verified the remote temp sensor is or isn't reading correctly by its resistance reading then you can TS further.

In your case since this is a brand new unit it might just be a poorly installed connection for either the temp sensor or the two furnace signal wires that run from the roof down to the Furnace control board.

Lastly if you verified the furnace fuse located inside your power center panel is good then located on the outside of your Dometic Atwood DFM35 series furnace is a small black toggle switch.

If the toggle switch tripped off the furnace has No 12 volts power to it..

** Note - the furnace fuse typcally used for the Dometic Atwood units in your power center panel is usually a Black resettable fuse that gives folks a lot of trouble.. Be sure to ohm that fuse with your multimeter and verify that resettable fuse is good
Thank you! Great info! I'll report back....
wired1236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 01:18 PM   #4
ChuckS

This is an image showing you the typical resistances at given temps that you will see on a remote temp sensor that is reading right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	290A353E-E79C-40C2-9391-C34233DC866B.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	42494  

Old 12-19-2022, 06:04 PM   #5
Camping family

Don’t know if yours is like mine. But I have two ac one front one back. But only one of them is used for heat. So if I look at the one that doesn’t give heat it show 0. The one that gives heat shows the temp
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #6
RJS3791RD

Good evening. I have been following along with this posting. I have a 2022 3791RD and Legacy which has the iN·command system. I also have the heat pump on rear unit. It’s cold right now in Pennsylvania. Unlike the previous post, both of my temp sensors are showing 41 degrees.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #7
ChuckS

[QUOTE=RJS3791RD;524635]Good evening. I have been following along with this posting. I have a 2022 3791RD and Legacy which has the iN·command system. I also have the heat pump on rear unit. It’s cold right now in Pennsylvania. Unlike the previous post, both of my temp sensors are showing 41 degrees.[/QUOTE]

In your case with both remote temp sensors reading exactly the same temps.. and they are located in two different areas of the RV you have a somewhat unique issue.

** That is assuming the actual inside temps are not at 41 degrees.

Zone 1 and Zone 2 roof AC units each have their OWN separate remote temps sensors, the gateways are separate, etc.

The common denominator for your system is the In Command BCM, Display, CANBUS lines connecting Zone 1 and Zone 2 from the gateways down to the BCM..

If your version of In Command is the Global Connect.. vers: NCSP3, NCSP35 then I would be looking at the BCM and make sure the (EOL) End of Line terminating resistor is in place.

It will be found on the BCM.

This OR a loose connection on the CANBUS lines could cause what you are seeing.

OR.. have you checked you version of Firmware loaded for your system to see if you have the latest firmware?

This link is for the Global Connect versions ONLY: identify your system and then take a look see for your specific version and you will also see where the EOL terminating resistor is installed.

https://in-command.net/in-command-w-global-connect/

Old 12-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
RJS3791RD

Thank you. I added that content simply to illustrate that my one unit wasn’t measuring 0 unlike the two previous posts.
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:55 AM   #9
ChuckS

When the I Command HVAC has issues you might see for the temp display things like:

----

And so so.. the source signal is an analog signal from the remote sensor that is then converted to a digital display.

I much prefer the tried to tested on the wall thermostats such as the CCC2 multizone or the newer MircoAir digital multizone thermostat. Much easier to work with

Old 01-11-2023, 03:53 PM   #10
Tbarger

I had same problem 0 reading. Found solar power wired hot all the time even when you disconnect all other power sources. Once I removed solar power it reset and now works.
Tbarger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incommand