Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2022, 11:28 AM   #21
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
I can tell you from personal experience…. I paid $3.00 a mile from Martinsville Va to Harrisburg PA. Mileage is based on miles the unit is pulled (you don’t pay for the miles they dead head home).

Based on these numbers, she would be looking at 9k per year to have someone haul the trailer back and forth. (4.5k each way @1500 Miles)
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:53 PM   #22
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS3791RD View Post
I can tell you from personal experience…. I paid $3.00 a mile from Martinsville Va to Harrisburg PA. Mileage is based on miles the unit is pulled (you don’t pay for the miles they dead head home).
The price you noted ($3 @ mile)... when was this? Was it after the price of diesel went bonkers?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 05:01 PM   #23
Camp CA

I would obtain competitive quotes from several transporters to compare to competitive cost for a DWR diesel tow vehicle.
Old 12-27-2022, 05:27 PM   #24
RJS3791RD

12/8/2022. I bought my 5’er down in Virginia via internet and paid to have in brought to Harrisburg. I “negotiated”a bit with the guy who delivered it and we settled at $3.00 a mile. When I was looking around they were pricing as high as $4.50
Old 12-27-2022, 05:47 PM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
I would obtain competitive quotes from several transporters to compare to competitive cost for a DWR diesel tow vehicle.

I would never buy an RV and then be unable to move it no matter the reason, dependent on someone else to move it....if they felt like it.

Some like a DRW, and they do have a place, but some don't want the bulk. In the parking lots I go to, and that is a LOT, there aren't DRWs in the regular lots; they will be out on the fringes because they will not fit in a normal space - and they take up lots of space. My SRW is hard enough to maneuver into those spaces and takes a bit of "negotiating" to get in square.

As far as having an RV and no tow vehicle, I've seen the results of that here in FL after hurricanes. You are totally dependent on someone else, if they will even do it, or aren't completely booked up, and you don't fit. You get to come back and wait for someone, again, to try to pull the ruined trailer out of the lot, trees etc.

At 9k+ a year I wouldn't even think about throwing that money away and buy an appropriate truck. Then the conversation shifts back to my earlier mention of a lighter trailer hence smaller (SRW) truck. Lots of considerations for the OP.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 05:27 AM   #26
wiredgeorge

My long wheel base SRW F350 will not fit into a parking space in a parking lot without sticking out nose first or the tail end. I park it out and away for that reason.

Before retiring, my sis was a traveling nurse and she and her hubby (since passed) drove a diesel pusher and pulled a box trailer where they stashed a mini-cooper and two harleys. That may not be the most cost effective solution but it worked for them and I guess she could afford it on a traveling nurse's income. Hubby worked odd jobs at campgrounds when they long termed for her work.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 06:17 AM   #27
ChuckS

For our needs ( just the two of us ) and we did have two beautiful chow chows that traveled with is till we lost both this year our 34 foot fifth wheel is all we need.

I have no concerns with getting in and out of gas stations and such.

But your needs are different from ours since you are full time in your setup.

Now way would I consider a fifth wheel larger than what I have now with our SRW truck.

You will need a Dually or 1 ton SRW with that larger fifth wheel. Period.

And if I could not afford a new or newer truck of the needed tow capacity for the larger fifth wheel then I would simply have to stay with what I had.

For us being retired and at now age 69 I am not investing money in a new RV or new truck. The cost for either is insane and the build quality is worse now then it was 10 years ago.

If I did not have or could not afford the proper truck I would never depend on having to have my RV towed by someone else..

But we all have to make life decisions daily and I hope that whatever choices you make work out for the best

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 09:51 PM   #28
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
My long wheel base SRW F350 will not fit into a parking space in a parking lot without sticking out nose first or the tail end. I park it out and away for that reason.

Well that is personal choice. We daily drive our 2016 Ram 3500, crew cab, DRW, and pretty much park where we want. I back in to spaces perpendicular to the road way, as it is easier, and places the hips out of the way for the cars next to me.
It is mainly getting use to the size, no it isn't a smart car, but I go in parking garages also.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 08:40 AM   #29
jimmyg

Upgrading

We are doing same. We have 36ft and are going to 41ft minimum. Main reason storage. Many have the rear huge storage sometimes with sliding tray. Unless u go with loft or toy hauler. If u plan on off grid camping u can order upgrade insulation and double pane windows. If hooking up, look to add 3rd air and heat straps in 2 airs. We are leaning to the River Ranch model. Good luck follow up with ur choice.
jimmyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:31 AM   #30
Kzneft

I went from a TT to a 5th wheel a few years back and was concerned about the length. If you figure there is probably 4' from the end of the TT to the hitch, but a 5th wheel is inside the bed of the truck, so you gain the 4' plus the length from the old hitch to the 5th wheel hitch. My old TT was 27', new 5th was 36', but overall length of the truck and 5th wheel I only gained 2'. I think you will find the same things, plus 5th wheelers tow so much nicer. As other posts said look at your weight.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote