Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2022, 06:59 AM   #1
RJS3791RD

SolarFlex 200 and 4x 12v deep cycle batteries

Will the Solar Flex 200 with factory charge controller support 4 12v deep cycle marine batteries? My 5’er came with 2x 12v deep cycle marine batteries. I have 2 additional (brand new /same size) batteries. I am considering installing the two additional batteries in the generator prep package compartment as I have no intention of installing a permanent generator. I would use a vented battery box with a cutoff switch, wiring over to the top of the existing battery box. I searched the postings and didn’t find any information, but I would think I am not the only one to consider this. Any input is greatly appreciated
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:17 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I suspect your solar will charge as many batteries as you want to install. In order to achieve the best performance, your solar leads and trailer leads need to be at the “ends” of the total bank.

If it were me, I would put the trailer leads on the ends and then the solar leads on the other posts of the ends:

Trailer positive lead to positive of battery 1
Trailer negative lead to negative of battery 4

Solar positive to positive of battery 4
Solar negative to negative of battery 1

It will take longer to charge but will last longer once charged.

I hope your old batteries aren’t older than about 4 months.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:47 AM   #3
RJS3791RD

Understood! This will creat one “string” where I was creating two. Not being an “electrical” guy, I suspect one string will flow better among all of the batteries.

Thankfully the two I have are brand new (never installed in anything) to go along with the two new ones that came with the RV.
RJS3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 08:40 PM   #4
coop341

Your 200 watts of solar panels will generate the same amount of current no matter how much battery storage you put in your trailer.

If you leave home with the batteries full, and use less power than your panels create, your batteries won't go dead. If you are using more power each day (mostly night) than your solar can generate, your batteries will run down eventually, no matter how many batteries you have, it's just a matter of time.With only 200 watts of panels, your best bet is to add more batteries, top them off whenever you can plug in.

Just remember, don't run your lead/acid batteries below 50%, this will permanently damage them.
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar