Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #1
grey ghost

change of plans!!! As usual

Has anyone pulled Utah HWY 59 from Colorado City to Hurricane and then On Utah HWY 9 west to Interstate 15? Just wondering if there are any real problems while pulling a 35' 5th wheel that is 13'6" in hight? I've already taken off the front A/C once don't want to do that again!!!! I was used to pulling a 5ver that was a little over 12' and didn't even think about not fitting under a filling station roof that I had been using for years.
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
Canonman

Both 59 and 9 are good 2 lane state highways. There is a steep grade as you come into Hurricane but big rigs run that highway all the time. When we come into that area from the north, We use the 9, Toquerville, exit to get to Zion. You should be just fine pulling your 5er. We're not quite as big but have experienced no issues except for traffic around Hurricane, La Verkin and the Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8216.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	41035  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #3
travelin texans

Pick up a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop, if the road is highlighted for trucks you're good to go with your 5er.
It also high low clearances & other hazards by state listed in the front of the atlas. There are GPS units that provide the same information, the atlas is $20+/-, the GPS isn't.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 03:50 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Literally well over hundred k in truck and trailer and not spending a couple of hundred bucks on an RV GPS is incomprehensible to me. To each their own.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Literally well over hundred k in truck and trailer and not spending a couple of hundred bucks on an RV GPS is incomprehensible to me. To each their own.
Had GPS on my phone & built into the truck, didn't see the need for one that was rv specific if at all glance at the atlas shows its good for trucks we were good.
Also the good Ole atlas would show alternative routes that a GPS wouldn't bring up, we enjoyed the back road travels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:13 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Had GPS on my phone & built into the truck, didn't see the need for one that was rv specific if at all glance at the atlas shows its good for trucks we were good.
Also the good Ole atlas would show alternative routes that a GPS wouldn't bring up, we enjoyed the back road travels.
That hasn't been my experience at all. I wouldn't consider a phone app GPS for many reasons. I'm a " use the tool made for the job" type person. My Garmin RV GPS routs me around tight turns, low bridges, LP restrictions, traffic jams, etc. It does it real time, not months ago when info was gathered for print. I don't want to pull over ( or try to find a place to do so) when I find my route is now a washed out bridge. I don't trust my DW as a navigator either.

Like I said, it's a personal choice but to me relying on a published print book is OK for preliminary planning, sort of like reading an almanac to see what the weather SHOULD BE a month from now. For me, I want the most recent information available. To me, a GPS that doesn't rely on a cell signal, doesn't prioritize a phone call, gets constant updates on traffic, weather, and road conditions and automatically alters my route when something goes ahead goes bad. That's just my personal choice.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #7
grey ghost

Hey Flywhatever, must be really nice to be better than God! Ive always found people on this forum to be very friendly and always helpful, until you! I have a GPS it just doesn't give me in info regarding lower bridges or underpasses. Thanks for all your assistance, but from now on if you cannot be respectful of others just don't say anything at all.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
grey ghost

Hey Flywhatever, I fought to give you the right to free speech, however I must admit where you are concerned I might have been wrong! Really, I went back and read your posts and still cannot believe you have any friends at all including you DW. I'm sure she could find her way without your input. Enough, sorry everyone I just could not help myself. I despise bullies and just cannot sit by and stand for it! I'm really not usually this way, maybe just a bad day!!!!!!!!
Old 08-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
Hey Flywhatever, must be really nice to be better than God! Ive always found people on this forum to be very friendly and always helpful, until you! I have a GPS it just doesn't give me in info regarding lower bridges or underpasses. Thanks for all your assistance, but from now on if you cannot be respectful of others just don't say anything at all.
I have over $12K in my tow vehicle and trailer and have never had the desire to double the value of my set up with an RV GPS. I use the married couple GPS. When I am "lost", I stop somewhere and have the missus get out and ask how to find out where we should be heading. The GPS in this case stands for GENERALLY PO'D SPOUSE. Of course, as a member of the man club I never get lost... really.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:45 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I have over $12K in my tow vehicle and trailer and have never had the desire to double the value of my set up with an RV GPS. I use the married couple GPS. When I am "lost", I stop somewhere and have the missus get out and ask how to find out where we should be heading. The GPS in this case stands for GENERALLY PO'D SPOUSE. Of course, as a member of the man club I never get lost... really.

Now George, I can't believe you never get lost. I'm thinking you had to get lost trying to find Old River Road RV Resort over by Kerrville. I went to check it out after you said something about it and my nav system had me going up the wrong highway and trying to drive through dead end fields.....but I did get there eventually. Now having DW get out and ask those guys in the bulldozers/dump trucks how to get "right over there" (we could see the park) would have probably been a very, very poor decision on that very hot day..
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:48 PM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey ghost View Post
I don't understand how relating my experience and clearly stating that it's a personal preference could elicit such a personal attack. Sorry if I upset your sensetivity to the subject.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:45 PM   #12
Balvar24

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Why buy one when we can get on the forum and ask you guys?
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:30 AM   #13
Sokcap48

I live in Hurricane and travel that road several times a year. Have a Lung clinic in Phoenix I visit at least 4 times a year. Not a bad road,2 lane. As stated the Hill going down into Hurricane is STEEP. You have plenty of warning you are approaching. I just gear down and use mt compression brake. No problem. Caution there is some road work in progress right now bur no big delays.
Hurricane, Utah
Sokcap48 is offline   Reply With Quote