Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Recalls
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2022, 07:54 AM   #1
ChuckS

2022 Keystone Alpine NHTSA Recall for Ladder

PDF uploaded

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 09:09 AM   #2
jasin1

Wonder how many people tried to use and ripped the ladders out of the filon

Some of them probably on the rv dealers lot..I’d think they are gonna have to do more then just new anchor points if damage has already started.

I don’t use my ladder,I use a telescoping ladder next to the existing.

I watched a YouTube video where a well known rv reviewer who probably is close to 250-300 pounds bounded up a ladder like a kid on a playground…I was waiting for the ladder to rip out of the wall…some unlucky person got that rv I guess
Old 03-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

This is just "one more reason" not to hang bicycles, blue tanks or lawn chairs from the ladder !!!!!

And, a "closing thought"... Someone says, "But I've been doing it for 10 years and NEVER had a problem."....

Response, You haven't done it "the next time yet".... Accidents happen because people ignore the warning signs.... Recalls are, IMO, "warning signs"... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 04:43 PM   #4
ChuckS

In over 45 years of RVing I’ve often marveled at the rigs that I pass or more likely the ones that are passing me cause I slow poke at 62 and I see canoes, bikes, ladders, crapper dump tanks, etc strapped onto the ladders…

Our bikes go inside the fifth wheel, the ladder is collapsible and is in the basement , we don’t need a portable dump tank, and the wife don’t like boats..

Every year I see a trail of stuff from Idaho to Montana on the side of the roads that ripped off the back of an RV ladder.. and we see RV ladders on the side of the road with the stuff still attached

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 08:27 AM   #5
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Wonder how many people tried to use and ripped the ladders out of the filon

Some of them probably on the rv dealers lot..I’d think they are gonna have to do more then just new anchor points if damage has already started.

I don’t use my ladder,I use a telescoping ladder next to the existing.

I watched a YouTube video where a well known rv reviewer who probably is close to 250-300 pounds bounded up a ladder like a kid on a playground…I was waiting for the ladder to rip out of the wall…some unlucky person got that rv I guess

any suggestions for a telescoping (easy to store) laddder >>>
Old 03-31-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I have this one;

https://www.amazon.com/Lionladder-Te.../dp/B07WSTF6PD

I bought this ladder after I bought the 5th wheel since my other collapsible ladder was too short and my folding 12' A frame ladder was not feasible to carry with us. Some thoughts on it;

It's fairly heavy so trying to maneuver it around the trailer can be cumbersome on unlevel ground. It telescopes so if you're not careful you can get your fingers caught between the rungs. It has rotating feet which make it more stable and the rubber ends on the top won't mess up the trailer finish. It has been dependable for 2 years but doesn't see a lot of use.

It's overkill to use to clean the windows so I just use a window washing tool with squeegee. I have slide toppers so don't need it to get on top of the slides any longer. I've used it one time, on this trip when the awning gimp started coming out of the slot on the side of the trailer. Other than that it takes up space. I guess bottom line it's not convenient for a lot of things but there are things/times that really require it so, like all the other "what it" stuff, it will sit in the pass through until I need it.

Depending on the situation you might find one of the 7' aluminum collapsible ladders fits. I had one of those with my TT and it was great. IIRC 7' was the longest and it was difficult to use (a little short as am I) for cleaning slide tops.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alpine, keystone, ladder, recall