Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #1
wegone

Bunch old dawgs here....

The Bridge

I sit on the doorstep of tomorrow, I'll be 70 years old, never believing I would ever see this day in the flesh.

My body just won't do what it did, and that can be hard to accept.

Harder yet is to see the look in my childrens eyes knowing our time is coming to an end, everyday closer.

My wife too, she talks more of what she can't do without me being present in her life.

I see that bridge in front of me, from here, this day, to the promise of evermore....

It's beautiful.

It's like walking for years in the wilderness, and now I look across the Jordan River, to milk and honey, love and joy....

Free of the ills of sin that tether me to the flesh of this life, peace.

I must share this witness more, with them, and with you, as I draw closer to God everyday left here in the flesh, amen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bridge-studio-2.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	1,010.5 KB
ID:	42694  
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:43 PM   #2
Max23

Amen!!! I have already outlived my father. He dies at the ripe old age of 58 from cancer. I have already hit 60. I think about how much life [and grandchildren's lives] he missed out on. My wife is a cancer survivor of 11 years now. We thank God every day for the blessing in time and family he has given us and look forward to tomorrow each and every day with the knowing uncertainty every day brings!!
Thanks for the reminder!.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Ed the post is on target. Funny growing up you can't wait to get older. If like me I didn't care much when I hit 30, 40, 50, 60; as I've always told folks your numbered age is just that...a number. It's all about you. I've seen decrepit 50 year olds and lively 80 year olds...you never know, but;

About 60, 60+ it starts creeping into your mind. DW was diagnosed with cancer at 61 (I was 62). Mortality, "this might be our last day", hit home. I was frantic but she survived these years (12) and to say I'm thankful would be an extreme understatement. I've outlived my mom and my FIL. Got plenty of "hmmms" medically. I'm a thinker and worrier - I see that bridge a lot - maybe "feel" it, "sense" it. I've said it, and I think here as well, I can see that stop sign at the end of the road. Used to didn't know it was there. Then it was sort of a blurry thing "way out there". Now that sign has flashing red lights around it - not glaringly bright, but they're there. I have spent a lot of time fashioning an "exit" plan that takes care of my family as best I can; I would encourage everyone to do that because it does take some worry out of the equation - just buying burial plots and picking a headstone made us feel better. Don't mean to be morbid, it's just a fact of life.....and this is "campfire chatter" right?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:21 PM   #4
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Ed the post is on target. Funny growing up you can't wait to get older. If like me I didn't care much when I hit 30, 40, 50, 60; as I've always told folks your numbered age is just that...a number. It's all about you. I've seen decrepit 50 year olds and lively 80 year olds...you never know, but;

About 60, 60+ it starts creeping into your mind. DW was diagnosed with cancer at 61 (I was 62). Mortality, "this might be our last day", hit home. I was frantic but she survived these years (12) and to say I'm thankful would be an extreme understatement. I've outlived my mom and my FIL. Got plenty of "hmmms" medically. I'm a thinker and worrier - I see that bridge a lot - maybe "feel" it, "sense" it. I've said it, and I think here as well, I can see that stop sign at the end of the road. Used to didn't know it was there. Then it was sort of a blurry thing "way out there". Now that sign has flashing red lights around it - not glaringly bright, but they're there. I have spent a lot of time fashioning an "exit" plan that takes care of my family as best I can; I would encourage everyone to do that because it does take some worry out of the equation - just buying burial plots and picking a headstone made us feel better. Don't mean to be morbid, it's just a fact of life.....and this is "campfire chatter" right?
Thanks Danny.....

I don't fret much about the "future" as I have many decades of being selfish.
Wife and I have had talks about what to do when it happens.
Both agree we won't go the spending tons on the ending, more like the country western song "Prop me up beside the jukebox"
Old 01-15-2023, 06:16 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Tim Smith moonshine, bbq and a pre determined list of rock and roll songs. No funeral!!

At 18 I said I couldn’t fathom being 30. At 65 I’m retired from one career and looking to retire in October/November. DW has some heart issues so we just enjoy every day that is granted to us. I joke with people at work “you can only hope to get to my age”, and I have been told I’m “older than dirt”.

Thank you for the reminder that we are all mortal and need to cherish the days we have.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:53 PM   #6
markdol1

I am 65 and retired at 58 because i wanted to make up for time lost making a living and making sure my wife and children received the monetary AND intangible things to carry on after i am gone ,i had my ducks in a row at 30 years old. Being a former paramedic saw how fragile life and illusions could be. I always tell my 3 grown kids Life is short and nobody owes you anything! Camping has been 1 of the best ways to enjoy my family and to this day they say it was better than disney or any fly away vacations. My mother turns 90 in feb and is sharp as a tack and takes no medicines I hope i can make it to 100 in any kind of shape or form. Keep moving find something small to enjoy every day and BE HUMBLE .God bless you all!
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:17 PM   #7
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
Amen!!! I have already outlived my father. He dies at the ripe old age of 58 from cancer. I have already hit 60. I think about how much life [and grandchildren's lives] he missed out on. My wife is a cancer survivor of 11 years now. We thank God every day for the blessing in time and family he has given us and look forward to tomorrow each and every day with the knowing uncertainty every day brings!!
Thanks for the reminder!.
My pleasure Sir.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:21 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Interesting topic. I'm 67, will be 68 in April. My mother lived to be 94, may father 58. My grandfather 78, I had a great grandmother live to be 102. So, the length of my life can be anything from right now to .... who knows when?

Meanwhile.... well .... how about a very, very long story I wrote 3 years ago .... It's long. If you don't want to read it, stop right here. If not, read on....

"Mommie, when?"

He was so full of life and energy, restless and couldn’t sleep that night when he found himself sitting at the edge of his mothers bed and started a conversation about all the mysteries of life that only a 7 year old boy could ask about.

“When will I grow up, Mommie?” was the question he inevitably asked. Envious of those older, wishing for independence, and longing for that day he would no longer have to follow Mommie’s direction any more. She replied, “It will happen, only far too soon. And then you’ll wish you could be a little boy again. Don’t be so eager to grow up so fast.”

This is not the answer he wanted to hear, but had to accept her word. And as days turned into years and years into decades the little boy grew into a young man himself. He assumed responsibility for many things in life. He became successful, and a productive member of society. When finishing his formal education, he thought, “Is today the day I finally grow up?” When taking responsibility in the work force and receiving that first real paycheck he thought, “Is today the day I finally grow up?” The day he walked the aisle and took his life-long companion to forever be at his side, he thought, “Surely, today is the day I finally grow up?

But, all it would take is one visit back to his mother and he was quickly whisked into the past, that deep inside feeling, no matter how old, no matter how mature, no matter what adventures in life he may have experienced, in mother’s presence, his mind and heart was still that of a little boy. “When WILL I grow up Mommie?”

Then one day he became a father himself. In an instant of time, he felt the responsibility for the life of another soul when he held that new born baby in his arm. “Surely, this is the day he would grow up!” But when Mommie came to visit her grandchild, the new father still became the little 7 year old boy in his heart. “I suppose there is no such thing as actually growing-up?” They body may feel the age, but the mind and heart somehow remain locked into that of a 7 year old boy when his mother steps into the room.

Now, there are children, and the children have children. Still the nagging question, “When will I grow up, Mommie?” I don’t feel this old. I’m still that little boy from so many years ago. “When Mommie, when?”

The day came when “Mommie” became too old herself; too old to tend to her own personal affairs. The now grown man had to make some hard decisions regarding the welfare of his mother. He had to make the tough decision to place her in a nursing home. Her assets were dissolved. The childhood home was sold. And, the visitations at the nursing home became harder and harder as she was slowly slipping away from this life, in mind and body.

But every time the grown man entered her presence, now old, aged, and wrinkled, with her mind slipping more and more at every visit, all the tough decision were made by him, the life long question raged through his spirit, “Is this what it means to finally grow up?” If this is what it’s like to finally grow up, he didn’t want it at all. But somehow, the answer of course never resounded with a “Yes.” In her presence, even with her life and welfare in his hands, he tended to her as if he were the adult and she now the child. But in his heart, he’s still the 7 year old little body hoping and praying that his Mommie will get better.

The day finally came when the mother would soon take her last breath. Holding her hand as dearly and compassionately and loving as possible, he knew the last was just seconds away. With all his strength behind shedding tears, he called out, “Mommie, I love you.” She opened her eyes, look sparingly at him, a tear formed. He resounded again, “Mommie, I love you.” And with that, the final breath happened. Her eyes closed, the breath escaped, and she was gone.

And it was in that moment, I finally realized, “Mommie, today I grew up!”

- True story.... I was that little boy.
Old 01-16-2023, 08:37 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Thank you, David for sharing that with us. I think we all have (or will) find ourselves in "that little 7 year old boy"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:38 AM   #10
wegone

Great story, loved it, thanks for sharing it.

I have shared a little bit about my troubles in life, drinking.

I am so grateful the love others had for me, that I did not have for myself, cared enough to not abandon me, when I deserved it.

I came to find at 50 years of age what scared me most was to be abandoned, or not accepted.

Much like your story and your mother who held the answer to your riddle, I found mine too.

In that moment, only two choices in my life remaining, life, or death, I broke.

I literally crawled back up into my mother's arms, she cradled and soothed me, I felt safe and loved, decades after having last seen her...she was with me.

I grew into that man that day that took responsibility and have never looked back.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:33 AM   #11
Pull Toy

You’ve never been this old before, and you’ll never be this young again! Enjoy every day!

First it was Covid lockdown, then a hip replacement in May, then emergency GallBladder surgery in October. I lost too much time for my liking!

I’ll be 74 in June, and I’m chomping at the bit to get going camping and exploring this spring.

Good luck,
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:15 PM   #12
vampress_me

This whole post is the best advice on here. It has been posted before, in some form or another over the years. And I have to say, last summer we finally took it, even if one of us was more hesitant about it than the other (I didn’t give a darn about the cost, we were going no matter what - hubby came around eventually to seeing it my way ) DH needed to go fly fishing at least one more time out on the Missouri in MT before he can’t. So, we left the kids at home to hold down the fort (they are late teens/ early 20’s so no worries on that end) and headed west. The trip west was fun, they always are, but the absolute best was the big smiles and fun fishing with a guy who wasn’t sure he could anymore, with friends we hadn’t seen for about 7 years. I’m trying for another trip this summer, fly fishing in Yellowstone this time, we will see if that one can be pulled off.

Long story short, even for the younger crowd on here, don’t wait to do fun things by saying “when I/we retire we can do xxxx”. Crap happens no matter your age and it may not be possible. That is one thing I have learned from having a DH with Parkinson’s which was diagnosed in his late 30’s.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #13
lindy46

My advice is "keep on keeping on" as long as you can. I'll be 77 soon and my wife is 72, and we're leaving for Florida next week for a month. Looking forward to some salt water fishing and eating some great seafood. Of course, we'll be towing our travel trailer. I don't know how long we can keep doing this but we will as long as we can. Ain't ready to just sit in a chair and vegetate. Gotta keep active.
lindy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 08:19 PM   #14
HDroadglide

My Families blood line is good up to the age of 92 so I hope and pray that I will make it there also. I will be 71 in a few months, just upgraded my ride from a 2011 Roadglide Ultra to a 2020 Roadglide Limited. I have learned to love life and treat it like it is the last day. as we all know one day we want be able to do the things we did when we were younger, So when that day comes I will sit on my front porch with a cold Shiner in my hand and tell all the Kids this Grandpa had a good life and rejoice for me and say ( He had a DAM GOOD LIFE ).
HDroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:28 AM   #15
ajp

Not what I expected.

Hello fellow campers
I am 71 years old and I just noticed that bridge last year.
I retired at 70 with all the anticipation of camping around this great country.
But open heart surgery opened my eyes to the bridge.
And now after almost a year of recovering I am hoping to continue my adventures with my dear wife of almost 50 years.

Heart surgery has opened my eyes to many things....mostly how important family and living life like it was your last day on this earth.

My little brother got me in to camping ..
He told me It would change my life...and he was right.

I was starting to think I was the only one seeing that bridge, but thanks to all of y'all I realize I am not alone.

So thankful to all of you for posting these deeply moving and private thoughts.
Happy camping and God bless.
Ajp
ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 06:58 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
Hello fellow campers
I am 71 years old and I just noticed that bridge last year.
I retired at 70 with all the anticipation of camping around this great country.
But open heart surgery opened my eyes to the bridge.
And now after almost a year of recovering I am hoping to continue my adventures with my dear wife of almost 50 years.

Heart surgery has opened my eyes to many things....mostly how important family and living life like it was your last day on this earth.

My little brother got me in to camping ..
He told me It would change my life...and he was right.

I was starting to think I was the only one seeing that bridge, but thanks to all of y'all I realize I am not alone.

So thankful to all of you for posting these deeply moving and private thoughts.
Happy camping and God bless.
Ajp

Welcome to the forum ajp! Lots of good folks and tons of knowledge here so if questions arise don't be shy about asking. We have folks of all ages that are on the site but we have our share (maybe more) of "old dawgs" that have seen most of life's ups and downs and many of us see that bridge. It's not a show stopper, just a mind opener that tends to lead to some sober assessments. Have fun and enjoy.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:10 AM   #17
wegone

Welcome to the forum ajp! Lots of good folks and tons of knowledge here so if questions arise don't be shy about asking. We have folks of all ages that are on the site but we have our share (maybe more) of "old dawgs" that have seen most of life's ups and downs and many of us see that bridge. It's not a show stopper, just a mind opener that tends to lead to some sober assessments. Have fun and enjoy.

So true....

I dare call it wisdom, more in my case I ran out of options, and this observation was the last one standing

Whatever we call it, it's useless unless those who have pulled their rigs down those many roads of life, the good, the bad, the ugly, and most of all, the joy.... if not shared with others.

Slow down, enjoy the ride, observe the scenery, everyone arrives at the bridge eventually anyways
Old 01-24-2023, 10:53 AM   #18
christiaanvandenberg

Thank you Ed.

Bleesing to you and your family.
Bullet 248 RKS
christiaanvandenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

To the "recent retirees", I'll be 69 in a couple of months but had to take an early retirement after my 7 th cervical spine surgery. I have to say that despite the DW and I being disabled we enjoy camping more now than ever. The difference is time and a quiet phone.

We no longer arrive on a Friday night and leave Sunday morning. We only do weekends if we arrive on Thursday and leave on Monday or stay longer. This reduces the stress of making the destination "in time" and dealing with the inherent increased traffic. Pre Covid we enjoyed meandering our way to a destination and taking side trips exploring along the way. That's difficult nowadays with the increased RV ownership so it just requires a little more planning. So my advice is to take advantage of the available "slow times" that your destination may have and a RELAX & ENJOY!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote