Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2023, 04:40 PM   #1
JOglesby

Yet another tire pressure question.

I've read so many posts about tire pressure but can't seem to find the answer.

SO here it goes. I currently have ST205 75R14 load rating D tires on my Keystone Bullet. The sticker on the camper and the markings on the tires say 65 PSI, max 65PSI cold. This is where I start. I am religious about checking the pressure before I tow. We also have a TPMS. My question is, assuming the trailer is fully loaded (7,600 pounds) and I have inflated to 65 psi when cold, what pressure should I be worried about while towing and they have heated up?

I see a pretty rapid rise to 69 PSI within the first 10 miles or so. I have my TPMS set to warn me at 77 PSI, is this to high?
Old 01-03-2023, 07:47 PM   #2
travelin texans

Inflate to 65, or whatever sidewall states, cold & go. The tire manufacturers have calculated that the pressure will increase with rise in temps & have allowances built into the tires. Otherwise there would be warnings about inflating to max cold if temps exceeded XXX temperature.
I'd recommend using a good quality TPMS that have temp & pressure readings & watch for the tire that seems to be excessively hot or high in pressure from the others, not that there's a definite temp or pressure to watchful of.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOglesby View Post
I've read so many posts about tire pressure but can't seem to find the answer.

SO here it goes. I currently have ST205 75R14 load rating D tires on my Keystone Bullet. The sticker on the camper and the markings on the tires say 65 PSI, max 65PSI cold. This is where I start. I am religious about checking the pressure before I tow. We also have a TPMS. My question is, assuming the trailer is fully loaded (7,600 pounds) and I have inflated to 65 psi when cold, what pressure should I be worried about while towing and they have heated up?

I see a pretty rapid rise to 69 PSI within the first 10 miles or so. I have my TPMS set to warn me at 77 PSI, is this to high?
Our TST 507 system said it was pre-set at 158 degrees for the high temp alarm, so that is where I left it. I set the high pressure alarm at least 30 psi higher than the cold pressure setting, because you will get at least a 20 or more psi rise when on dark pavement and the tires are on the sunny side while traveling. I set the low pressure alarm at 10 psi below the cold pressure setting, because any lower with continued use and the tires are essentially trash.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I've never changed the high temp setting on my TST 507 from factory which is like the previous post. A trailer tire inflated properly to 65psi as the sidewall indicates will die from a lot of things but getting too hot and failing would be close to the bottom of the list.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote