Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
Eddie A.

Service outside local area?

This question may have been posted before, but is it the norm to only be able to get your TT serviced at the dealer where you bought it?

I just had a conversation with the only local Cougar dealer about having to have a specific model shipped from out of state because they don't stock the specific model that we're looking for and are talking a significantly higher price if they order it. He basically said it's great if I could get if from elsewhere but that they only service their own customers.

So is this the norm? How would that work if you're on the road and need any service work done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Eddie A.

I also just realized I was still in the new member sub forum. Sorry about that [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #3
Javi

Yes, pretty much the way it is.
Buy it where you can find a good dealer with a good price. Then go over it with a fine toothed comb. Once home find an independent repair shop that others in your area trust and get to know them.
Almost every thing in or on your trailer is actually under warranty buy the manufacturer of the item and not Keystone.

Javi
Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

It is normal for a dealer to only do warranty work on customers units. In reality, there isn't any money to be made. Customer pay is a different story, but as Javi pointed out the appliances in your unit are warrantied by the maker of that component. Keystone is as other makers are, the middleman for warranty claims during the factory warranty period. Nothing says you have to go a Cougar/Keystone dealer for warranty repairs, but the facility you choose has to be authorized by the maker of the appliance being serviced.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Many think that Just because its a Keystone product under warranty that they can take it to any Keystone authorized dealer and they have to service it, Not So, Keystone can not and will not force a dealer to work on a certain customer's rig. I am sure they will be more than happy to give you names of other dealers in the area that you can try. Based on my experience the
majority of dealers favor servicing their own customers.

I agree that if you decide not to buy local, you should factor in the additional headaches and costs associated with warranty issues. I prefer to shop locally and get the best price and build a good relationship with that dealer. When I am away and have an issue I know I can call and they will do whatever they can to help, Good Luck
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

"On the road" repairs are IMO something any worthwhile dealership should do. We do and when I needed a brake spring,a dealership in Missouri that was in the process of moving, allowed me to rummage through boxes and use their lot to get back on the road.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

I agree that you need to use a local dealer. That said, I've used a local, independent, one owner shop to buy a trailer. I got super service from him in my town. When traveling I found it next to impossible to get someone to take care of us. Fast forward to 2014 and I decided to buy our current RV from CW. I've had superior luck on the road with those dealerships taking us in when in need. A local one man shop is cool for the close relationship but in my experience, if you travel, it doesn't go far. Just my thoughts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
dcg9381

I believe that Keystone "agrees" to do warranty work (not just on sold units) as part of the deal to carry the brand. The reality is different. I've never had warranty work declined, but I have had out-of-network dealers indicate a 6-month wait time after finding out I didn't buy it there. There is no real nationwide warranty coverage, not practically speaking...

Not all manufacturers are like this. Keystone is. Chuckster can probably tell you what other manufacturers are the same way if it makes a difference to you.

As long as you're willing to pay for the work, you can get service anywhere. Warranty is 12 months - it goes by quickly.

Pay attention to the service reputation of where you buy from. IMHO, MOST units (not just Keystone) will need some warranty repairs within the first 6 months. I find that the sales reputations and the service reputations can vary wildly at the same business.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote