Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
Grammy Cat

Hello, my husband Mike and I have just purchased a Passport 2670BH, but haven't picked it up yet. We are brand-spankin' new to the RV world...any basic advice you all want to send our way is appreciated. We tent-camped many years ago, with our kids. This is a step up and we look forward to spending good time relaxing and making memories with our grandkids. We also have 2 dogs, border collies.
We have a '16 Silverado that we will be towing the new baby with.
We will get some training from the dealership that we purchased from, along with 2 free nights at their campground to get more familiar with the trailer.
I would love suggestions about:
*basic items that you find helpful in your travel trailer. Though there is great storage, I know from being a camper kid when I was very young, that it fills up pretty quick.
*campground discount clubs. I have read online about some of them, but don't know if they are worth joining. Also, it appears there are weekly black-out days, usually being weekends. Do members get priority in reserving?
*additional accessories for your travel trailer that you may or may not find helpful. We have wondered specifically about generators, and if they are a good idea, just in case. If so, what type?
Thank you all, for any helps. Sorry if this is too much for the intro page...move post if needed.
Blessings and happy trails!
Cathy & Mike
Grammy Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:16 AM   #2
14george

Welcome to the fourm congrats. Good Sam, K O A, AARP, and veterans triple A discounts
Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #3
66joej

Welcome to the forum from Radium Hot Springs BC.
Electric tongue jack and X-chocks help.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy that new rig. Ditto on the items mentioned so far. I suggest getting a clear adapter for your sewer hose. It will let you see when the flush is finished. Get a water pressure regulator for both your fresh water hose and your black tank flush. Make sure you have separate hoses for fresh water and black tank flush. Leveling blocks are a must. Blocks or pads for under the jacks are good too. 1st time you go camp close to home or at least a Walmart or similar so you can pick up stuff you may have forgotten. Never hurts to do a dry run at the house if possible too. Most of all, have fun!

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #5
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Welcome to the forum from Kansas City, MO! You can always have too much! I'm learning that the hard way and trimming back this Spring.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
Tbos

Grammy Cat add a surge protector to your list of must haves. Mine is just an in line one but it identified a problem with 2 different power posts last season.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You might do a search of the site for an items list. There have been several queries related to that and some very comprehensive lists have been submitted. If you have a problem finding them post and I'm sure one of us can help. I think it would save you some time.

Discount clubs; I belong to Good Sam and Passport America. Passport America has blackout dates and limitations but if you do your due diligence you can really make their low rates pay off. I'm not good at it but I know others that are. Good Sam is only a 10% discount which isn't much but you also get discounts at Camping World and other little perks. Only you will be able to decide if what you get is worth it and fits your style of camping.

Generator; it depends on the type of camping you will do. We used to spend 90% of our time boondocking and a gen was essential. Now, we spend 95% of our time in established campgrounds with hookups so we don't have one. As far as brands I think Honda is probably the best going but pricey. I've read good things about Champion and will probably buy one for us just in case. As far as types I think an inverter generator is the way to go with todays electronics.

Other critical stuff; in line electronic surge protector - a good one. It can save your bacon/trailer and mine has multiple times. A good weight distribution hitch/sway control. I'm assuming you are using a 1/2 ton truck so you want to get a handle on that trailer as it can be a load for the truck.

Just a quick note on some other items (not detailed); tools, compressor, leveling blocks, tire chocks, fresh water hose, L for the water hose, water filter, water pressure regulator, sewer hose and extension, TV coax, plastic boxes (Walmart) to store your "paraphernalia" in.....and more, and more

Let us know........

Oh! I forgot....WELCOME to the forum!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
busterbrown

Welcome to the official world of RV'ing. This is a great forum with oodles and oodles of experience and real world RV advice. Since you haven't taken delivery of your unit yet, you may find something like this helpful when you do your walkthrough. Some may call it a PDI; but it's more of an owner's inspection and informational session on your rig's systems and features.

Another document that may help you on your first few times out is an arrival and departure checklist. This one I compiled last year prior to help with us with our RV's maiden voyage. After about a half dozen or so times out, the process became second hand and we didn't refer to it as much. It was nice, though, to have it laminated and push pinned on a corkboard in the trailer.

The best of luck with your delivery day and shake down cruise. Don't forget to use the search function on the forum as many of the newbie questions you have will have been answered many times over.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
cardinal96ss

Welcome to the forum from NE. I like Busterbrown's checklist and use a similar one. I suggest using one as you never know when you might miss something because you're trying to get on the road in a hurry or when inclement weather hits and leads to rushing a job.
Enjoy the forum. Lots of good information.
cardinal96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
geobet

Welcome from Florida. Great forum with many knowledgeable RVers.

Love the smell of fresh coffee & diesel in the morning!
geobet is offline   Reply With Quote