Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
Mandolin

New owner Southern Oregon

Just bought (but haven't taken delivery of) a 2017 Keystone Hideaway 21FQWB (from River City RV in Grants Pass, very easy to work with). It had some features I wanted - a walk-around queen and a large u-shaped dinette across the back.

I had been looking at some other units with a u-shaped dinette in a slide (and I did like the way the slide gave the center of the trailer more room), but the dinette and big windows at the back of the Keystone mean I can look out the windows rather than sit at the dinette and look at the inside of the trailer.

The spouse was able to accept a couple feet more in length than he wanted for a lighter trailer (no slide).

We are trading up from a 2010 Forest River Cherokee Wolf Pup, and it is amazing the "feature creep" between a 2010 and a 2017. The Wolf Pup had 3 features I wanted gone - an RV queen mattress oriented so that one person had to crawl out over the other and a single axle that, to me, seemed like a safety issue and a "tent" awning that took 2 people with 2 ladders to put up.

Over time we'd had to change the rear axle (twice), put larger wheels and tires, build a ton of shelving, add exterior lockers, change lighting to LED. The new trailer has everything we added to the old trailer and more.

Prior to that we had a Starcraft tent trailer for oh, maybe 10 years and prior to that we camped in tents. Both my husband and I come from "camping families" and have been camping as far back as we can remember.

I am sure we will make some modifications to the new trailer, but we're starting off from a better, safer point. I can see it needs the single light over the headboard area swapped for two small individual reading lights and probably a bit more storage in the bathroom.

The "lol" features were the built-in vac and the LED "mood" lighting.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:24 PM   #2
14george

to the fourm congrats from W Va
Old 09-21-2016, 05:10 AM   #3
DAN d

welcome from ma enjoy your new toy
DAN d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Tbos

Welcome to the forum from Southern Md. Post some pictures when you pick up the rig. Have fun making many more memories.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
cpaulsen

We bought a Wildcat at River City about 5 years ago.....very easy to work with.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
kimanderson98642

Welcome and Safe Travels
Home Base Ridgefield, Washington
2011 Keystone Cougar 292rks
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins
kimanderson98642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:01 AM   #7
Mandolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaulsen View Post
We bought a Wildcat at River City about 5 years ago.....very easy to work with.
We love the campground at Bandon - Bullard's Beach - and spend 3-4 weeks there over the course of the summer. I usually book the last week in July to the first week in August to get out of the Rogue Valley's hottest weather. This was a very windy summer in Bandon, though.

Last week we were up in the upper Rogue River/Union Creek area - so nice to have good campgrounds less than 60 miles from home. First week in October we are headed out to a music camp in the Bodega Bay, California area. Might head out to Brookings in late October, depending on weather. Since it is a new trailer, it might be good to camp out in the rain to check the shell integrity and the heating system.

Which reminds me, the Reserveamerica dates must be opening up for July about now....
Old 09-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #8
cpaulsen

Hosted at Bullards Beach and it is a nice state park. Will be hosting at Valley of the Rogue starting in Nov.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:01 AM   #9
Nitka

Welcome from the Willamette Valley! Congrats on the new "Home away from home!"
Nitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #10
Murphsmom

Welcome from Idaho.

We just got back from a trip in your area. Spent a few nights at Sunset Bay and then worked our way up the coast. Weather was, for the most part, perfect. Fishing was good (great tuna trip from Newport) and the once unruly dog had the vacation we had promised him when he was ready for it. Turns out that he's a great traveler now that he's had his "schoolin'."

When you finish the one light to two in the bedroom, please post and let us see how it turned out. I really miss that feature and would like to see how you accomplish the change.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #11
Mandolin

Thanks! I love the Oregon coast - in summer. This year was an unusually windy year on the beach - not so much just a quarter mile or so inland. We were in Bandon late July and the average wind was 15 mph with gusts to 40, which cut down on our beach walk time quite a bit.

When we lived in the Portland area, a lot of our camping trips were up through to Idaho City and then out toward the Sawtooths. Loved the area along the Clearwater, too.

In general the mods I have planned (have to actually get the trailer, camp with it once to see how things work before I start taking cutting tools to it):
- change out the sink to a flatter lip stainless steel sink. I'd really like to change that entire counter and add an undermount sink, but I suspect it isn't worth the cost.
- add backsplash material at the stove (probably those peel-and-stick tiles)
- convert some of the pantry to roll-out shelves
- change the light above the bed to two lights
- add wall hooks for coats
- add undersink pullouts

longer term:
- see how much "bounce" the trailer has and maybe add stabilizer bars
- organize the pass-through storage area.
- add a bit more cabinetry. Even with the built-in vac, I suspect I need a broom/mop closet.
- change the top of the dinette table to something I like better. Maybe butcherblock.
- buy light-blocking (and reflecting) instead of light-filtering blinds and add thermal curtains in the bedroom.

We did discover one reason NOT to buy a trailer in the fall - we have no space to keep it here at the house and all the storage yards are full. I called 28 places, from Merlin to Ashland, and not a single one had a space.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:10 PM   #12
Alpine

indeed from another Oregonian! Maybe we will cross paths somewhere along the way!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Murphsmom

Mandolin, you really have been through our parts of Idaho. We have had a cabin in Stanley for over 20 years and used to live in Pierce (in the mountains above Orofino).

Hope you have a great time with your new toy.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:17 PM   #14
Mandolin

Well, we picked up the trailer today, but the heater was broken. I need the trailer next Tues-Sun and the replacement heater (the exhaust gas pipe and fitting was cracked) won't be available until next Friday. So we have it a week without a heater, which shouldn't be a problem this time of year. Then we take it back in and leave it with them.

I was impressed by the length of the PDI he did before we got there and then the walk-through.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolin View Post

We did discover one reason NOT to buy a trailer in the fall - we have no space to keep it here at the house and all the storage yards are full. I called 28 places, from Merlin to Ashland, and not a single one had a space.
A friend in VA just said he had the same problem. He called many storage facilities and received the same answer you did. I asked if he had called any campgrounds as many have storage areas. There is a CG near me that allows you to park in the storage area for $25 monthly.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one storage facility in Grant's Pass (30 miles from Medford) that lists available storage for $40 a month: http://medford.craigslist.org/rvd/5770237750.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #17
Mandolin

They were on the list I called (had to pull it up and check) and the largest trailer space they had was 17' - but thanks for looking!

Fortunately, our old storage yard has a space coming available on Oct 14, which we have reserved. It means the trailer is sitting on the street in front of our house from now until we leave on Tuesday (4 days) and then when we get back it will sit for 4 days. We live in the older part of town with very narrow streets (our garage is on an alley and there is no way the trailer will go back there).

When we get back the new furnace part will be available, so in reality the trailer will probably just sit in front of our house overnight when we get back and then go to the RV repair place the next morning and it can sit there for a couple days until the new space is ready. If it can't just sit there, I will probably rent a space at the Jackson County Fairgrounds for a couple days.