Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
Micah.TX

Newbie - 26RLS?

Hello Everyone - my wife and I are about to make the leap to RVing. Semi retired. 3 kids. Last one finishing college. (Thank you, Jesus!) Went to the RV show in Houston. Mind overload. However, we did see the Keystone Hideout 26RLS. Most of the time, it will be the two of us. Is this good starter RV? If not, what do you recommend? We want quality and good resale. We like the layout and price, but will pay a little extra if recommended. Do wish it had an outdoor grill, but not a deal breaker. TV (just figured out that's travel vehicle) - will have to buy one. Looking at the F150 - V6 or V8? Any thoughts on any of this are greatly appreciated.

Festus - hope I did this. Read your check in. A little unclear.
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

The best starter RV is the one you are comfortable with. With so many brands, floor plans and such finding one that meets all or most of your needs/wants is the key.

Now that you have picked out the trailer you want, take your time and pick out a tow vehicle again that your comfortable with. How big? Look at the specs for the trailer, GVWR and tongue weight. Then use those figures to get enough tow vehicle. Lots of threads on how to determine ratings for any given TV.

Anyways, congrats, you will love the RV lifestyle and retirement IS all its made out to be

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

to the forum! Yes, you will love retirement. It IS as good as they say (after 9 years).

As Chuckster said the RV that is best for you is the one you like; layout, construction, pricing etc. It is a very personal decision based very much on your personal perspectives.

Floorplan/layout is very important. We are retired and no one goes camping with us so we got an RV that is really for two people and love it. We have the couch that makes into a nice bed in the event someone wants to stay with us but that hasn't happened. Quality was #2 for us. Trailers run the gamut on the way they are built and put together. Look the units over; look at the cabinet doors, their construction, what they are attached to, what they're made of. Doors vs curtains? Drawer slides/glides? Look around the slides for gaps/lights. Push the walls; do they sink in or are they firm? Porcelain toiler vs plastic? Glass shower doors vs plastic? Residential fixtures vs plastic? The list is endless. We like the arched ceiling - it feels so much roomier. What you want to, or can, spend is a paramount consideration.

Do lots of looking. Pick what you want. Go over it with a fine tooth comb and use the PDI list from this forum. Then......go enjoy! Good luck.

Oh, I forgot. On the TV I would not recommend a V6 for any trailer of any size with the exception of the Ford EcoBoost. Look at the weights as was mentioned and buy accordingly.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
Micah.TX

Thanks, everyone. All this really helps.
Micah.TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
cospilot

We jumped in with both feet and got our first RV the 32bhpr I already have a capable truck to tow with.
We got the unit for about 1/2 the retail price and it was too good to pass up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cospilot is offline   Reply With Quote