Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
Rubicon100

2017 passport 2670bh maintenance

Hi all, first of all I want to thank you all for giving us new people good advice. I'm really wanting to make this tt last as long as possible so I'm trying to keep up with all the info. Is it ok if I use a good silicone caulk around some of the places that look like they missed a little bit. I've been reading about it and I know that the roof is a no no for silicone so I bought some dicor for the roof. I haven't used anything yet just wanted to know if we are okay with silicone around some of the outside lights and door jam. Thanks again for all the time you guys put in. Dan
Rubicon100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM   #2
66joej

Hi a good quality silicone is the sealer of choice by most members on here.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #3
Rubicon100

Than you. I'm just trying to stay ahead of things. So far other than a slide seal we've been real happy with the passport. Would you worry about checking the wheel bearings on a new unit. I've packed many bearings on some of my older cars but I don't want to have to mess with it the first year out. I'm thinking maybe this fall unless we rack up a bunch of miles. Again thank you. Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of new owners have found "undergreased bearings", missing or not attached brake springs, loose bearing retainer nuts and damaged/improperly installed grease seals.

The number of those problems is extremely small, very likely not applicable to you, but, if you're the "one in a thousand" it's one too many.....

So, if you're the type that wants to know things are put together correctly, or if you're the type that goes with the flow and will deal with it if it happens will determine whether you feel the need to grease your bearings and readjust your brakes before the season starts or wait to see if anything happens and depend on the warranty to fix it if it breaks....

There's no "absolute practice" that goes with checking and repacking wheel bearings, so it's pretty much a personal decision. I don't like surprises, so mine were checked and repacked as a part of getting it ready for our first trip.... That's probably "to the extreme" for many people, very much a personal preference and certainly not a requirement....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
MarcS

I would say a full on repack is extreme. You could always put some grease in the EZ hubs to make sure there is grease in there.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
Rubicon100

I'm pretty much fix it before it's too late so I think after this weekends trip I'll probably go ahead and check things out. Its really not a big job for such a piece of mind. Especially towing with a half ton, the brakes are even more of a concern. Should I have to replace the seals too or just check when I have the drums off. Again I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my newbie questions. I just want to be safe. Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

I think most people would say "only reuse a grease seal in an emergency"... That said, you can only inspect the inner bearing if you remove the grease seal, so there's a very good probability that you'll damage the seal and need to replace it. I wouldn't even start the job without having all the parts needed on hand. That said, if you have new grease seals in a bag on the workbench, why even consider using the old ones? At $2.50 each, it's a very small investment.

Years ago, I learned to repack bearings and replace brake shoes on a 1950 Chevy "turtleback coupe". Sitting on a Pepsi crate with an old cardboard box as my workbench, my Dad's words still are as vivid now as back then, "Boy, when you remove the grease seal, throw it away, never reuse one, they are too cheap to reuse and doing so will cost you more in the long run."

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2017, 10:34 AM   #8
Rubicon100

Very good advice. I have a Napa close by so I'll see if they can match up the seals, if not camping world isn't too far away either.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Any "decent" auto parts store will have the seals on hand. Depending on the axles under your trailer, the numbers are readily available at Lippert's site or at the Dexter site. Of course, if your luck is like mine, they won't fit after you get the numbers from the manual because your axle is the "one they started with the new parts".... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
Rubicon100

Dumb question but how do I add my info on the bottom of my posts. It would help out questions knowing what I have. Dan
Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Click on the USER CP tab along the top bar on any forum page, then click on "edit signature" in the SETTINGS AND OPTIONS section (along the left side of the page) and "build your signature"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Mandtra

Did you find any problems ?
Mandtra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, passport