Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM   #1
Justvisiting2day

Bent axles

This is my second Passport, the first was a 11' and I traded it in on a 13' ..ran it so far @ 6,000 miles, now the same problem the back axle is wearing tires on the inside.?????
NOw ?
what. I do not jump curbs, fly off construction sites nor run over too many rabbits..
Any one.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #2
CWtheMan

1st, is the trailer being hauled nose high?

2nd, have you taken it to the scales to see what weight each axle is carrying?
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
BOWWOW

I had this issue with my Fuzion. Took it to the shop where they put new axles on it (still under warranty at that point) which was in the fall. Got new tires and thought I would be good to go in the spring. WRONG! Still wearing tires insides on the back axle 3 trips into the spring. I called the shop and they explained that there warranty was only good for 90 days. So now the extended warranty went into effect and they paid to put 2 more new axles on it. 3-4 trips later still wearing inside of tires on the rear axle. By now I'm getting P'd off. So I loaded up the atv's in the garage filled it up with water and I placed a 20 ton bottle jack under the center of the rear axle that for some reason did not have an arc to it and I raised it about 7-8 inches above the front axle and went to bed. The next morning I came out and let the jack down , inspected all surrounding gear and went for a test drive. The axle definitely has an arc in it and 3 years later my second set of new tires are wearing evenly. Extreme maybe? But, sometimes you have to be your own advocate.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
X-Treme

Or, you could just go to a shop that does trailer wheel alignments,and have it done properly, like I did.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
rkeiser

Bent Axle - Warranty on Passport

I would suggest getting the #' off of the axle tag. If they are Dexter axles, they maybe covered under warranty. If you have a wide track axle set up, you should have 3" heavy wall axles. If you have 2 3/8 axles then they will most likely provide the parts, you will just need to pay labor to have them changed.
rkeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
audio1der

Many Passports use Al-Ko 2 3/8" axles; ours did, and also had a bent rear axle (from the factory, I believe). Al-Ko would have warrantied the parts but then the shop would have charged us for labor so it was cheaper to buy higher rated 3" Dexter axles, reusing the spindles and brakes which provided a HUGE amount of headroom for capacity. We ended up replacing the springs (our were flat; no arc) tires as well as bushings which brought the cost just above the warranty labor cost.
Now it tows night/day better than it did before, I KNOW it won't happen again and I feel better knowing the poor thing isn't being dragged around nearly at capacity ALL the time.
I'm really shocked knowing they sell a trailer with 7500lb GVW which easily hit 7100lbs loaded, with 3500 axles and 'C' rated tires that can support 7480lbs.
I hope this provides some perspective from someone who just went through this.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:19 AM   #7
davidallenkent

Keystone buyer beware even new

Hi guys. I have a passport 3220 bh that I bought at the end of the season as a brand new trailer. Took it on two trips with no real issues. On the third trip I have my rear tire completely shred off. Took the trailer to dealer that I bought it from to investigate. Dealer informed me that the axles ( both) were bent and would send into warranty. Keystone took a week to finally get back to dealer claiming that trailer was over loaded. I took the trailer to weight scale and found that with all my camping gear in unit that I was 900lbs under capacity. Keystone ignored scale read out and continued to claim that I had over loaded trailer. Now guys I bought an ultra light trailer to tow an ultra light trailer. I do not carry water ( fill up at camp ground) and empty tank on my way out. So phone call after phone call I finally got frustrated and had a company that deals with bent axles, bend the axles back to where they belonged. It worked well until my latest trip I noticed that rear axle had given way again causing wear to inside of tires again. I called the owner of the dealer who stated the last time we talked (first time axles went) that he would speak with keystone and see what he could do to help. I have now left message after message with no call back. Now I live in Canada and camping season is short. I don't have time to wait, so I took the trailer to custom axle. He had a look and found the whole drive system under that trailer not even close to except able. Springs flat, axles not heavy enough, space between hub and hangers too far apart as well as spring hanger twisting with trailer turn. So I had him build 3" beams, bought heavie springs, went home and installed basically a whole new drive system. I am now in the hole $1000 for all this and two new tires. End story BUYER BEWARE of keystone products. I am very unhappy that on a brand new unit that I have had to deal with these issues. I would have loved to pay the extra grand originally on the unit not to have to deal with these issues to begin with. KEYSTONE I AM NOT HAPPY.
davidallenkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #8
dcg9381

David, did you see what your dealer actually submitted to Keystone? I'm having a hard time with bringing them actual weight and still claiming overloaded. Sometimes what they submit explains warranty issues (or so I'm told).

Note, the axles on my Carbon are bent. They're done this way from the factory. This bend creates camber which I assume is there to counter-act the "bow" effect of riding on a loaded trailer. The factory bend is opposite how they'd bend if loaded.

If Keystone won't warranty it, I'd move up to a +1k axle rating... Probably would use a shop that understands trailer alignment.

Suspension components are odd on these.. I contacted Lippert as we've got limited clearance and we're no where near gross weight (I suspect weak springs) - turns out that part of the components are Lippert and part are Dexter.. So there is no one point of contact (at least for the Carbon) to ask about suspension issues - Keystone puts them together.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
SUnderwood

I picked my TT up less than 100 miles from the manufacturing plant, all of my tires are wearing normally, the ones I saw at the local dealer had a tire that looked like it was ran low on pressure, nail in another , and another that was severely worn,makes you wonder what the transport company subjects them to, I know on my trip back home the road was full of pot holes , rough sections, and a bunch of debris along the shoulder
SUnderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #10
davidallenkent

I did see what dealer submitted and keystone still claimed overload. I ended up installing 2250 springs and 3500 HD beams under unit. I am just very unhappy with keystone for not standing behind the product they make and the dealer for not standing behind the product they sell.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:19 PM   #11
greengiant

Justvisiting, have you gotten anywhere? I have the exact same problem with my 29bhs hideout. rear axle, inside of both tires is worn to steel after 6k miles. Anyone know a reputable trailer guy in the Binghamton, NY area?
greengiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 AM   #12
davidallenkent

Look in to anyone that does custom axles. I had mine built in 2 days. Really easy to install if you are slightly mechanically inclined.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2015, 02:27 PM   #13
Justvisiting2day

bent axles

I wonder what would happen,,, if we could get enough to start a class action suit It seems that the "overloading" is a standard gottcha from all the dealers and the Keystone company?

Chuck
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #14
dcg9381

It doesn't seem that it's overloading in this case. The weight on the trailer is fine. It's that the "rated" axle is fatiguing at that load level.

I don't see how Keystone claims overloaded when they ask for weight, you provide them weight, it's under, and that conversation gets circular.

My only other advise would be to contact the manufacturer of the axle directly. Both Dexter and Lippert have taken my emails (and responded). I'm sure that having a shop diagnosis helps as does having documented weight from a scale...
Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM   #15
davidallenkent

Hard to do and expensive as I live in Canada. Al-Ko is the manufacturing company and their response was ship axles to them (some southern state) so that they could be tested. I wouldn't have a problem with that but I have to foot the costs and go upwards of two months without a trailer. Again not something that I should be responsible for. I am a contractor and if I install a product that has a manufacturer defect, then you keep the customer happy, fix the issue and go after the manufacturing company later. Customer should be #1. Really what is $1000 to these big manufacturers or even the dealers for that matter. Spend the grand now and keep further business.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:46 AM   #16
dcg9381

I did some reading on Al-KO. Did they offer to pay for the freight to have the axles sent in? Is there an "authorized" service center in Canada?

It sounds like your axles are going to need to be replaced anyway.. If I was in that circumstance, I'd have them done (probably with axles that are rated a bit higher) and send the Al-KO axles back if Al-ko is covering the shiping.. If they validate the warranty claim, I'd ask for $$$ and not a replacement axle.

If they're not offering to cover the shipping from Canada, then yea, I'd probably just chalk it up to well.. you know...
Old 08-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #17
CarKath

Would Dexter not be on the hook now as they now own Al-Ko? Lot's of choices out that way for warranty.

Quote:
Dexter Axle Acquires the North American Assets of AL-KO Axis, Inc.

Dexter Axle, a leading manufacturer of trailer axles, brakes, and hubs & drums for over 50 years, announced that it has acquired the North American assets of AL-KO Axis, Inc. AL-KO Axis is a manufacturer of axles and other components for trailers and towable equipment in the utility, recreational vehicle, heavy duty, manufactured housing, agricultural, marine, and specialty mark
Standen's Ltd.
1222 58th Avenue SE, Calgary, Alberta T2H 2G7
Phone: 403-258-7800 Toll Free: 800-663-7800 Fax: 403-258-7897
[url]www.standens/com
Sells Retail, Stocks Axle Beams, Does Service Work

Fort Gary Industries
10610 82nd Avenue, Clairmont, Alberta T0H 0W0
Phone: 780-402-9864
[url]www.fgiltd/com

City Spring
3260 Parsons Road, Edmonton, Alberta T6N 1B3
Phone: 780-463-4291 Toll Free: 800-661-3843 Fax: 780-461-3460
[url]www.cityspring/com
Sells Retail & Dealer, Stocks Axle Beams, Does Service Work

Fort Gary Industries
16230 118th Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5V 1C6
Phone: 780-447-4422
[url]www.fgiltd/com

Standen's Ltd.18922, 111 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 0B6
Phone: 780-430-7130 Toll Free: 800-430-7130 Fax: 780-430-7037
[url]www.standens/com
Sells Retail, Stocks Axle Beams

T.W. Distributing
Division of U.A.P.
18120 109 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5S 2K2
Phone: 708-489-3300 Fax: 780-481-0148
Stocks Axle Beams

The Hitch Company
15353 114th Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5M 3S9
Toll Free: 888-448-2426 Fax: 800-565-3220
[url]www.hitchcompany/ca

Fort Garry Industries
7947 Edgar Industrial Drive, Red Deer, Alberta T4P 3R2
Phone: 403-343-1383 Toll Free: 866-297-0022 Fax: 403-347-8275
[url]www.fgiltd/com

T.W. Distributing
Division of U.A.P.
236-36 Street North, Lethbridge, Alberta T1H 3Z7
Phone: 403-327-1571 Fax: 403-320-7085
Stocks Axle Beams
Dog : Tucker
Cats: Beaudie and Jangles
CarKath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:52 PM   #18
davidallenkent

Thanks for the info when did this merger take place. I know last year around this time al-Ko told me that the axels had to be shipped to the us

Old 08-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidallenkent View Post
Thanks for the info when did this merger take place. I know last year around this time al-Ko told me that the axels had to be shipped to the us

The press release is dated October 31, 2014. http://www.al-ko.us/download/Dexter_...elease_(2).pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #20
audio1der

David; if the work is done and your 3220 now has upgraded beams under her, just go out and enjoy it. Life is short and the trailer is supposed to get out out for relaxation

I also know for a face we never overloaded our unit to bent our axle; the customer service folks at Dexter were helpful in explaining a unit as long as ours exerts a TON of pressure on the axles when turning and a 2 3/8" ale wouldn't be able to handle that.

Who did you have do your work? We had Standen's and are VERY pleased.
*BTW, we also paid out of paocket.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote