Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
RunnerDuck

Dead Dometic

I have a 2010 Crossroads Cruiser and the Dometic 2852 refrigerator has stopped cooling. It seems to be working in both gas and electric modes as it gets hot and the cooling fan comes on.

I spoke with an RV repairman and he says that the only option is to replace it with a new one to the tune of around $1,500.

Does that sound right to you or are there things that can be done to repair it?

Thanks,

KennyB
RunnerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
Djacobp

We have had issues with our refrigerator as well. But when we spoke to the people who sold us our RV, they said that if the RV isn't level the refrigerator will not work. Not sure if this is the same issue you seem to be experiencing but I hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Djacobp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

RV refers need to be reasonably level when they sit. Going down the road doesn't matter.

If the heating element and flame are working but the refer isn't getting cold, then the cooling unit has most likely failed. There isn't any "repair" other than replacement. Do an Internet search for "cooling unit" and your model number, IIRC there are rebuilt units for a lot less than new. They are not too difficult to replace with some tools and should come with directions.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
jtyphoid

To add on to what chuckster57 said for those who are, like I was, ignorant of the terms, the cooling unit is the tubing on the back of the refrigerator cabinet.

If the cooling unit has indeed failed, it can be replaced either by a professional or by yourself. You can find YouTube videos showing the replacement process so you can make an informed decision about whether you want to do it yourself.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
RunnerDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djacobp View Post
We have had issues with our refrigerator as well. But when we spoke to the people who sold us our RV, they said that if the RV isn't level the refrigerator will not work. Not sure if this is the same issue you seem to be experiencing but I hope it helps.
I'm aware of this problem and I'm always very careful about leveling my trailer.

My repair guy did ask if the refrigerator was mounted in a slid-out. It is and he said that refrigerators in slide-outs are more prone to failure because they can't be vented properly out the top, only out the side.

Thanks,

KennyB
RunnerDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #6
yocsr

This may sound strange, but worth the try since they're telling you to replace it. My dad had that problem with his and he pulled it out and turned it upside down. He left it set for a few days and put it back in and it worked fine. Only cost a little time to try.
yocsr is offline   Reply With Quote