Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Whitewolf

Camping Hacks

Don't know why they're called 'hacks', but as we were packing up for the trip home this morning, I thought of starting a thread asking some things you do to make your life easier. Here's on of mine.

I use an extendable painters handle with a broom head screwed on to sweep off the slideouts while standing on the roof.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #2
therink

I always throw the gas blower in the truck when heading out. You never know. And it does good job of blowing debris off the slides.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
therink

#2- after dumping and/or flushing black tank, I always put a cup of this: http://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-home...r-washing-soda, along with 3 or 4 gals water and about 1/2 cup of dawn.
Tank is ready for next trip, the chemical balance of the solution eliminates odors and is cheap. No extra expensive perfume Laden potty chemicals needed.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
GaryWT

Not sure where you got the term camping hack but for me, I don't or can't get on the roof of the camper. I probably should clean off the tops of the slides but I general don't. I have done it once at a campground as I was able to back the truck up to reach and have done it at home in the yard from time to time.

We gave a basic routine and just stick to it, everyone "does their job" to steal a thought from the coach.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #5
gearhead

I bought that $250 extendable aluminum ladder that John goaded me into buying. I use that to sweep the top of the slides with that soft bristle brush used for washing the rv in camp as soon as the sun sets.
I also have a battery powered Black and Decker leaf blower that is fairly quiet.
All this said I'm considering slide awnings.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Sure, go ahead, blame me LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:06 AM   #7
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I bought that $250 extendable aluminum ladder that John goaded me into buying. I use that to sweep the top of the slides with that soft bristle brush used for washing the rv in camp as soon as the sun sets.
I also have a battery powered Black and Decker leaf blower that is fairly quiet.
All this said I'm considering slide awnings.

I use the same as my current unit doesn't have a ladder to get on the roof but I bought an extendable one off eBay for approximately $80. So far it has worked great and collapses to less than 2' tall.

Another is using totes like most people do so this is a given. But one tote has my trailer umbilical cord extension cords electrical adapters and miscellaneous stuff. The other tote is all my fresh water stuff hoses filters. The last is my black water tote and has all my sewer connectors flush hose and the likes.

I think the biggest "hack" I plan on doing is just for pre departure. I hate how long it takes to pack our trailer for a trip. We started by buying duplicates of kitchen supplies like another griddle, utensils, toaster, and such. Next is to have clothes just for the trailer that will be cleaned before hand and stored in airtight containers and then when we return just empty what we used and wash them and then I will return them to the trailer another day. Also bathroom supplies which we have most of already. This way all we have to pack is food and drinks and hopefully cut down on pack time from about 3-4 hours to maybe an hour tops. With being far from retirement and having to store our trailer in storage I hate taking an extra day off or stay up late to finish packing.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:34 AM   #8
sptddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandE View Post
I think the biggest "hack" I plan on doing is just for pre departure. I hate how long it takes to pack our trailer for a trip. We started by buying duplicates of kitchen supplies like another griddle, utensils, toaster, and such. Next is to have clothes just for the trailer that will be cleaned before hand and stored in airtight containers and then when we return just empty what we used and wash them and then I will return them to the trailer another day. Also bathroom supplies which we have most of already. This way all we have to pack is food and drinks and hopefully cut down on pack time from about 3-4 hours to maybe an hour tops. With being far from retirement and having to store our trailer in storage I hate taking an extra day off or stay up late to finish packing.

Travis
We started this - kids clothes and all, and it's made the 'weekend' jaunts so much easier. We do the same with food - ketchup and all those type supplies get a rack in our home refridge, and we just grab them when it's time to go. No forgetting or wondering what we need - it goes in that section and then right on the cooler bag.

We also have a duplicate set of kitchen things - yard sales and hand me downs have helped immensely there. We've gone so far as to acquire extra phone/ipad chargers and leave them in the camper too. Bathroom supplies - saline, shampoos, makeup sunscreen, etc., all stay in. We stock in the beginning of the season and it stays all summer. We're fortunate enough to park in a somewhat shady spot so most of that stuff is fine in there. We don't leave cans of soda though (don't ask how we know that is a bad idea).

We're in the market now to find yard sale bikes for the two kids that can live in the camper - I keep going more and more to just being able to pack food and go.

As for hacks, I think some of our biggest have been things we've seen online - adding shelving, using 3M hooks to hang things (be careful removing - they DO pull wallpaper off lol), using 'Thirty-One Bags' for anything and everything, from the tote for the awning mats to the large utility totes for our clothes (they slide under the bunks for laundry and shoes), carrying food/coolers, little totes for hanging next to the bed for glasses/phones, holder for the plates and utensils, etc.

Our next hack will be to use our 1x6' leveling boards with scissor jacks and carpet glued to them for making a patio out of our ramp door. Not that we'll use it a ton, but it's a nice option to have with the screen down. I figure it will be good for the kids to play trucks on and the dog to sun himself lol.
sptddog is offline   Reply With Quote