Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
rbev2308

New GPS RV device feedback sought

First off, I have searched the tons of threads on here about the various GPS's being used. The vast majority of specific items are from 2013 with a few 2014. Looking for any current data to support my decision. After recently getting surprised with a bridge issue, I decided to do some research and potentially purchase an RV specific GPS. Almost went with the RV GPS by Rand Mcnally for the Apple Ipad but seen way too many horror stories. Looking for some advice on the following (Good and Bad)

Rand McNally 7730
Rand Mcnally 7735 Made for Camping World
Garmin RV 760LMT

The Garmin is my preferred one since I have all Garmin mounts made by ProClips which are in my opinion, the best mounts out there. However, I believe Rand McNally and Camping World GPS may have more POI loaded that are more user friendly . The biggest selling point on the Rand McNally seems to be the ability to preload a trip on your PC and incorporate whatever route or stops you want and then send to your device. You can somewhat do this with a Garmin just a little harder and more time consuming.

As stated, really want some current advice since these things are always changing and to be honest, I seen all good inputs from the older threads but they were all for older models. Thanks in advance

Ross
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
x96mnn

Have the Garmin, works well and really like the sharp turn notifications. Going on a long trip on a couple weeks and will have a better idea on its function.

Only thing I have found it does seem to route a person down side roads when from my perception is easier to stay on the main road. As well I have caught it doing the opposite, route through a city instead of bypassing it which is faster and easier.

Will note, I live where most GPS have issues knowing all streets.
2012 Sprinter 266
2014 RAM 6.7 Cummins Diesel
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK

All I care about is camping, maybe three people and beer!
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #3
old timer

GPS systems are a little crazy first you set them to shortest to save miles which in turn is supposed to save fuel then through town you go. So you set it for fastest and 40 miles out of the way and at last you arrive. It would be cool if you could punch in the size of your RV and have it route you the BEST way.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
grampscamper

I have the Garmin 760. It seems to work well but it will send you on needless longer routes in RV mode. I plan my route in advance on BaseCamp to see where the GPS will direct me. I sometimes add waypoints along the route to insure the GPS directs me correctly.
An advantage to the Garmin is the backup camera option. I installed it on our 5th wheel to aid backing up.

2017 Passport Elite 19RB
2019 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
2017 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC 6.7
grampscamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
racin500

My DW came home with a bag from Camping World and a present for me. She picked up the new Rand McNally RV GPS (Good Sam Model 7735 same as RM7730 model). I have always used a Garmin Nuvi (not the RV model) before this with the bridge/overpass POI's loaded.

Lots of options. I'm still learning all the things it can do. If you have used a GPS in the past, you probably won't need the instructions on setting it up but there is a lot to figure out.

I have both my Garmin and RM in the TV so I can compare them both. So far, the RM has been a little more accurate with routing than Garmin traveling back roads in TN and KY. No differences on interstate routes, TN to MI via I-65/I-69. Garmin maps are more up-to-date with new highways.

What I can say so far;

RM LIKES
1. overpass, clearance and toll data.
2. lifetime maps.
3. trips planned online at Good Sam website can be downloaded to the unit.
4. grade and winding road alerts
5. 3 routing options: auto, auto/truck, truck routes.
6. RV data: setup the height, weight, length of your rig for alerts.
7. the couple of back road trips I've take have been accurate for time, routes and distance. I'm using the truck route option.
8. lane changes, exits notices, next turn, alert you about 1 mile away giving you time to MOVE OVER safely, most of the time :shock: .
9. If you have an iPad, you can get the app instead of buying the GPS but you still need cellular to use the weather/traffic.

RM DISLIKES
1. weather and traffic only works with WiFi. To use it on the road, you need to link it to your cellphone hot spot.
*** I have Verizon cell and it used .09GB of data over 3+hours of driving.
2. traffic option has an annual fee of $19.99/yr
2007 Chevy 3500 6.6L Allison, Crew Cab, Dually, Long-bed, 4x4
2007 Everest 295TS
https://www.keystonerv.org/forums/pic...116708&thumb=1
racin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
bsmith0404

I'll be honest, I have started to get away from using the GPS when transporting RVs. The problem with GPS, as already noted, is that it depends on what settings you load as to what route you get. If you set it for shortest route you end up going through every small town down old highways. If you set it to fastest, you get routed mainly down interstates because the speed limits are 75, which most of us don't do while towing our RVs. I have started using a truckers road atlas to decide on my routes. I will switch to the GPS when I start to get close to my destination or when going through major cities. It is nice when you get lane assist prior to getting to your exit.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Harleyhop

I have the Magellan RV9365T and like it a lot.picked it up from CW. Going on a 685 mile trip tomorrow and am going to really put it to the test. It does have the rv mode where you have to put in all the measurements. After I get back from my trip next week I will comment more.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
JimDogs

Magellan RV9365T

So how did that Magellan unit work for your recent trip? I have one on the way from Amazon and I have used all Maggie products in the past with great success. Thanks for the input!
JimDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Pull Toy

Nothing but "Magellan" for me !!!

10 + years, several different units, good refurbished pricing on web sight. Good customer support, good product, Five Stars!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #10
rbev2308

Appreciate all the feedback. I have had Garmin's for years. Hiking, Boating, auto, so I went with the 760LMT. Have not put the BC20 camera on just yet. I did connect my Ford Sync system with my integrated Sirius as my weather screen so I can have constant radar while traveling and use my Garmin 7 in for navigating and traffic...Works good for now but sure it will route me some wrong way one of these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garmin.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	8814  
US Navy Retired Master Chief Petty Officer
Gryphon the 240lb American Mastiff
rbev2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:23 AM   #11
Larry1013

I just listed the Good Sam - Rand McNally RVND 7735 LM for sale. The unit worked wonderfully but has more bells and whistles than I need. On the recent trip out west, 7800 miles covered form Alabama to Seattle, Washington and back, it performed wonderfully as did the stock truck NAV/GPS. They both were accurate with each giving same or similar turn points, distance, etc. It has many options that I do not need with my rig.

You can program length, height, flammable and other parameters into the unit. I do not need these as i not near any height or length restrictions, etc. If I had a bigger/longer 5th wheel or towing a car behind a class A then I would enjoy these features.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
Road-King

"Co-Pilot" app for Apple or Android. You can set up profiles for a car, motorcycle, RV or walking. In the profile you can set speed, road type preference and height.

I also added traffic advisories. Last time through Atlanta it saved us 2 hrs dew to a wreck on I85.

Much cheaper that a stand-alone gps. Always up to date.
2008 FLHRC 105th
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #13
Barbell

Have tried several Garmin RV models and have gone back to our old Nuvi and paper/Google maps. Problem seemed to be with Garmin's maps rather than the devices themselves. In RV mode, they went crazy in certain places but worked OK in auto mode, which is the same as the old Nuvis. Couldn't see spending $3-400 for something that doesn't work any better than what we already had.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Hans Jr

dont know if it was brought up or I over looked it but ill ask in here anyways? We take out 5er from race track to race track and never stay at rv parks. mainly highway driving. anyone ever used the Garmin Trucker GPS? We had one in our race teams toter/stacker I used to drive and loved it. Just didnt know if anyone in the RV world used the trucker vs the RV Garmins?
2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54 PM   #15
tgpilot

I've had Garmin since they came out. I had tried a couple of the other brands, I.E Magellan, etc. but sent them back and got the Garmin. I own about seven or eight of them now. Would NOT use any other and I used to be a coast to coast and Canada RV transporter among other things.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
slow

We recently purchased a Garmin 760 LMT and used it on a 7,000 mile trip to the Atlantic and US east coast.

Overall we were happy with the 760, but found a few issues that hopefully will be addressed in future updates:

* voice turn directions were occasionally late, I was already in the turn when prompted

* speed limit change notifications were not always reflecting the posted speed limits. Also, I found no value and it was distracting to be notified in advance of the change when the speed limit was increasing.

A couple of features that would be of value:

* being able to view gas stations on your route 30 or 60 miles ahead

* campground ratings in the descriptions sure would be a great feature when arriving late and trying to make a decision which campground to try

The unknow height restriction notice came on often, I thereby doubt if the data base is large enough at this point to make the feature of any value.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote