Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
cheatham09

Portable satellite dish

Looking for a portable satellite dish to use with directv for my Rv. What brand would anyone recommend?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
DMK

You won't be disjointed with a Wine gard carryout. One of those and a tripod stand and even if your in the trees you can usually find a signal if you have enough RG6!

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 03:07 PM   #3
rwmurphy15

I have the winegard x2 all automatic, gets both east and west satelites, easy to set up. Portable so you can move it to get the best reception love it.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Another vote for the winegard carryout. I also have the "dish finder pro" app. I park my RV and then just look through my phone. It shows the satellites and any obstructions so I know where to set the dish. Plug it into 12VDC and it finds the satellites while I run the RG6 to the "Sat in".

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
rogerbixby

A close friend of mine has 'DISH Network' and is attempting to setup while camping. Unfortunately 'DISH' seems to require the user to communicate with 'DISH' during the setup since it's a little more complicated setting up 'DISH' than 'DIRECTV'. I had my 'DIRECTV' setup and running in very little time. After several days of my friend working with 'DISH', he never did get setup and finally gave up. I attempted to assist but found out that apparently the information regarding setups for 'DISH' are 'TOP SECRET' and I did not have a 'TOP SECRET' clearance to find out how to assist my friend and apparently the person he was talking to at 'DISH' also did not have a 'TOP SECRET' clearance either. Bottom line: If you insist on using 'DISH', "Good Luck". In regards to 'DIRECTV', there is plenty of information on the internet to assist you in setting up you connection. Just 'Google' it..............

And Winegard is highly recommended; with the auto-find satellite option.
rogerbixby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Sherwood

I also have the Winegard Carryout and use it with DirecTV and love it. If there is anything bad to say about it, it would be that you cant get HD channels with DirecTV through it. But then again, we are camping right? Setting up and plugging it in to watching tv in under 5 minutes. If you got the cash, you could always get the Wingard Trav'ler for the rooftop. Really neat too! To the tune of about $1,600 at Camping World! But you get the HD channels.

Eric & Kim Sherwood
2011 Cougar 31SQB Travel Trailer, EZ-Flex
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L
Reese Straight Line Trunnion Bar w/Dual Cam Anti-Sway
Sherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #7
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Another vote for the winegard carryout. I also have the "dish finder pro" app. I park my RV and then just look through my phone. It shows the satellites and any obstructions so I know where to set the dish. Plug it into 12VDC and it finds the satellites while I run the RG6 to the "Sat in".
Does the app work well? I have the Winegard also but last time I camped it took me forever to get a signal. I was in a different area than I normally stay at at had a hard time getting a signal but lots of trees around also. I've actually had trouble at several spots but not like the last time we camped. I'll try the app, would love something to make it easier.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

I love the app. Just hold it up using camera view and it has a line with all the satellites and anything that might be in that view.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #9
C130

Quote:
I love the app. Just hold it up using camera view and it has a line with all the satellites and anything that might be in that view.
Thanks, just want to confirm it's the "dish pointer pro" that's $19.99? Looks like there's several but this ones looks like ine if the better ones, just want to confirm before I spend $20. Thanks.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Yes that's the one.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:18 PM   #11
C130

Great, thanks.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:33 AM   #12
Larry1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbixby View Post
A close friend of mine has 'DISH Network' and is attempting to setup while camping. Unfortunately 'DISH' seems to require the user to communicate with 'DISH' during the setup since it's a little more complicated setting up 'DISH' than 'DIRECTV'. I had my 'DIRECTV' setup and running in very little time. After several days of my friend working with 'DISH', he never did get setup and finally gave up. I attempted to assist but found out that apparently the information regarding setups for 'DISH' are 'TOP SECRET' and I did not have a 'TOP SECRET' clearance to find out how to assist my friend and apparently the person he was talking to at 'DISH' also did not have a 'TOP SECRET' clearance either. Bottom line: If you insist on using 'DISH', "Good Luck". In regards to 'DIRECTV', there is plenty of information on the internet to assist you in setting up you connection. Just 'Google' it..............

And Winegard is highly recommended; with the auto-find satellite option.
I have one of the older Winegard dishes similar to the earlier carry outs but no handle or pegs for tripod. Is the roof mounted model. I have Dish and the 211K HD receiver for my travel trailer. I have no problems connecting to the satellites and watching the programming. The catch is having to do the Dish "Check Switch" setup.

The "carryout" finds the Dish satellites once you attach the 12vdc power and RG-6 with the receiver turned on, but you have to do the Switch setup for the receiver within the installation/pointing menus.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #13
66 Vettster

Smile Portable Satellite

I also have a Winegard Carry Out Satellite and it works great. I usually set it up on my Slide that has the best access to the satellite. I usually look around the RV Park to see where the Direct TV dishes are pointing and make sure there are no obstructions. Easy to set up. I purchased mine through PPL RV Supplies and it was on sale for around $500. Good Luck
66 Vettster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #14
flubyu

Maybe a dumb question, but my tt has a cable in but no sat...can I go ahead and hookup a satellite to this? Also, does everyone take their tuner box from home or?

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:57 PM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

As long as the coax is rated for satellite signal it should work. Cable TV uses RG59 and satellite usesRG6. If you can identify the coax, then you'll know for sure. The plate with the booster button has the inputs on the back side. Just remove the two screws holding it in place and then look at the coax. It should have printing on it.

I use a box from my reload room, so I don't incur any additional receiver fees.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #16
{tpc}

Quote:
As long as the coax is rated for satellite signal it should work. Cable TV uses RG59 and satellite usesRG6. If you can identify the coax, then you'll know for sure. The plate with the booster button has the inputs on the back side. Just remove the two screws holding it in place and then look at the coax. It should have printing on it.

I use a box from my reload room, so I don't incur any additional receiver fees.
How difficult would it be to pull RG6 through the trailer? I guess what I am asking is I am making the assumption that the cheaper stuff is in place. Can I replace it with the better stuff or is that more hassle than it is worth?

We are in the process of getting a portable sat dish thingy, and I know the DW isn't going to want to trip over cables going in and out the door. I know I was able to figure out that I could place the tv outside and connect to the outside "input" connector and receive the antenna signal...so I am wondering if a similar workaround would work for the dish?

The only thing I can really see being a problem is the booster..I'm sure it would be bad news to hook that to the dish. And possibly the antenna as well. It seems I would need to have something in place to disconnect all that.

I guess once we have the dish, the rooftop antenna really wouldn't be useful except on stormy nights or something.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have access to the underbelly, it would probably be easier to run a separate coax. Without standing at your unit I can't say for sure, but we have added coax in countless different types of trailers.

The RG6 cable needs to be kept separate from the "cable" coax and it DOES NOT go through the booster. You can get termination plates just about anywhere. Just figure out where to mount them and your golden.

Some of the booster plates do have a separate satellite connection, so that may be an option at the TV end. Maybe the external plate can go inside a compartment so you don't have to buy an RV external plate and drill holes into the sidewalk.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
{tpc}

Ok thanks. I need to get the chloroplast down to investigate for welding on a receiver hitch, so maybe I'll be taking more of it down than I thought! lol.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #19
flubyu

Thank you for the reply. I'll take a look the next trip out.

2011 Bullet Premier 31BHPR
flubyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:44 AM   #20
Larry1013

Here is a link on how to modify the TV/Antenna Booster Switch to allow use of your satellite through the outside antenna connector.

http://www.tv4rv.com/wiring.pdf

I have never had any problems using RG-59 with my Winegard Carryout setup. Even when using a 25-30ft extension cable.

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote