Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2015, 07:18 PM   #1
T3/T4 Hybrid

WDH Advice

I have an Equalizer WDH 10,000 model for my 2009 VR1 TT. While at speed (60-62 MPH) I am having some noticeable sway and it gets worse when big trucks are passing me or near me. I know there will be some sway and its the nature of the beast.

The one problem, I know that I have is getting the setup completely level. The VR is still nose high a few inches when I attach it to my truck. Even with the stock Shank turned downward and it in the lowest setting. The question does anyone know of a different shank that I could buy to get a lower setting and get the setup more level? Or should I take it to a shop and let a trained tech go over it?

Thanks for advice.

Hopefully this pict will attach. That way you can see how the trailer is kind of high in the front.

T3/T4 Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

It does look like your trailer is nose high a significant amount. That might be the angle of the photo, so you would want to get the rig on a level concrete surface and measure the 4 corners of the trailer to see just how much "nose high" it really is.

You can possibly find a new shank locally. To determine what shank you really need, Equalizer has a worksheet that you can fill out to get the manufacturer's recommendations. The worksheet is located here: http://www.equalizerhitch.com/About%...shanksizes.php

Good Luck and be careful towing in a nose high condition. Even if everything is good as far a weights, trailer balance, WD settings and sway control, if the right conditions occur, you could be all over the road or even worse.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
T3/T4 Hybrid

Thanks JR... That is a level surface I have in the picture and Im standing on a tall porch looking down towards the rig. I'm going to take the rig to a shop and letting them set it up for me. The tow back today from the Outer Banks with the 25 mph wind gust had me pretty concerned to say the least. With family on board a few $$$ for safety is money well spent!!!

Having a lifted truck with over size tires always throws things off.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I had a 99 Ford SuperDuty with a factory 4" lift. Later in the model year, I believe Ford reduced that to a 3" lift and in 2000 most were a 2" lift.

We had previously towed with a 4x2 93 F250 and never had a moment of "white knuckle" With the lifted 99, I had to buy a longer shank to get the trailer level (just as you're facing). My receiver was a 2.5" receiver, the shank was a 2" shank, so I put the "reducer" in the receiver. It never really towed as stable as the 93 did, no matter what I tried. For some reason (my speculation) the shank would twist in the receiver and that little bit of side to side motion at the tongue translated to 3 or 4 feet of sway at the other end of my35' Holiday Rambler. That was a very frustrating and at times frightening situation. I hope you have better luck getting things "dialed in" than I did. We finally stopped towing and bought a motor home rather than fiddle with it. When we decided to get back into camping, I decided it was fifth wheels or nothing.

Good Luck and keep us posted on how you solve your issues, I'm sure others will face the same thing and your experiences will help them not make the same mistakes....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:24 AM   #5
cw3jason

They make longer shanks so you can drop the hitch further, you just need to purchase one and get that front end down

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
B&W Patriot 16k fifth wheel hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I can't see what model Ram that is but it looks like a 2500...and the nose is too high. When I went to my 2500 4x4 I had to buy an Equalizer extended shank - they had it on the shelf at CW for $297 (installed) if I recall. Looks like you need one as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #7
T3/T4 Hybrid

Thanks guys, everyone has the same feeling as I had. It was to high! JR I put in the measurements from my truck and the VR-1's into the Equalizer Page. Thanks for the link! It recommends that I use a 9" drop shank so I now have one ordered. That is a big difference from the stock 4" drop which I used.

I have a good feeling it will tow a lot better once I get it installed and set up correctly.

Sourdough, it is a 2500 gas model. I have a 2.5 lift on it with 285/70 tires. Basically it's the same height as a Dodge Power Wagon. I didn't want to go to crazy but something a little more than the stock setting.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I'll bet the new shank will fix you up. My truck runs 285/60x20 tires so you will be a tad higher than I am plus the lift. I don't know what size of shank they installed but it is quite a bit longer than the 1st one I had. Good luck.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:43 PM   #9
T3/T4 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'll bet the new shank will fix you up. My truck runs 285/60x20 tires so you will be a tad higher than I am plus the lift. I don't know what size of shank they installed but it is quite a bit longer than the 1st one I had. Good luck.
Im ready for the next trip in June! Hopefully it will take care of the issue.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 AM   #10
{tpc}

I don't know if I would trust the trained tech. I had a similar experience when I switched tow vehicles. Being new to the game I thought I'd bring it all back to the dealer and have them re-set it up. I had the trailer pretty much loaded as I normally would. The reason I brought it back to them was because of how impressed I was with the original guys explanation and set-up with the first tow vehicle...very knowledgeable and helpful.

I then proceeded to pay $75 for am not sure what, as the trained tech appeared to be a newbie of some sort, who wasn't as nearly trained as the other guy. Mine was nose high as well but I was assured it was ok due the fact that surely I would be adding more gear. I explained that I would not be, at least not enough to make a difference. Again, wait and see I'm told.

On the way home it was not at all any better. So I gave a negative review of the dealer when they sent me an email to rate the service. Apparently they care about those reviews, and called me. After inspecting the setup myself, I knew I had one choice, to lower the last little bit and or get a longer drop shank. They agreed to let me just bring the truck in and lower it all the way and check it vs other trailers on their lot. We did that. Much much better this time. Of course I could use a longer shank if not for the just the ability to adjust, but this is working for now.

Moral is, don't always "trust" the dealer to do it right. Of course some are way better than others, and I do give this one credit for trying to make it right. I just wish they would have done it right the first time, or had a better trained tech look at it. Maybe it was just an off day. But if you do take it back, and aren't satisfied prior to leaving, don't leave like I did, you will likely be back.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

tpc you make an excellent point. When we bought our trailer the dealer was to install the new hitch. They said their tech was knowledgeable so I went with it. The installation looked good; level etc. so headed home (60 miles). The first red light we hit it felt like the trailer/hitch really wanted to push and clank. Thinking it was just the new setup I proceeded on home. You can imagine my shock when I pulled the trailer off the ball and found the ball wanted to lift out with the trailer coupler. The tech had set the nut on the end of the ball and that's it. It was on about 2 threads and had about 1/2 inch of threads it hadn't been tightened on. We had pretty flat roads on the way home or the trailer may have taken off on its own on its first road trip. Needless to say I started at the bottom and ended at the top at the dealership; they got their "best" technician to check it all out and it's been fine but........
Old 04-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
T3/T4 Hybrid

Being in the auto repair business at one time in my life I understand completely that sometimes the quality of work does not equal the $$$ spent. If I can't make this work myself then luckily I have a contact within the business who will direct me to a good dealership who can.

Hopefully it will not come to that. It doesn't look like rocket science just I need to get the correct part in and level the trailer with enough weight transferred to my truck.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:01 PM   #13
GaryWT

When I went from the 150 to the 350 I had to change my equil I zer to its lowest point. I am slightly high but it tows great so I did not invest in a longer hitch but I do not think I am as high as you. Good luck.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 PM   #14
T3/T4 Hybrid

I just wanted to update my old post with new information. I added the drop bar and pretty much leveled out the camper. It may sit a half of an inch lower now in the front than the rear but towing is night and day different. It's steady and I can tow none white knuckled. I towe'd today back to OBX so it was the same roads as before. The rig setup has this rver happy.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:10 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Great to hear it fixed you up. Now you can enjoy the trip instead of fighting it!!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #16
audio1der

Glad to hear the longer drop fixed it up for you; we found the same thing and are very glad to have spent the bit of money for the comfort and ease of mind.
2012 Ram 1500 Sport crew cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 LSD, factory brake controller, S&B CAI w/scoop, Moroso air/oil can, 87mm ported/polished/knife-edged throttle body, Magnaflow exhaust, 180* t-stat, Rear lowered 2", Airlift 1000.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote