Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
LouSlugger

Lost an axle

Dropped my Fuzion off at dealer on way home from Michigan last month for some minor maintenance and repair -- none involving wheels or axles. Picked it up early Saturday morning and started home with it. Dealer is located immediately next to interstate. As I got onto entrance ramp I started hearing something metal bouncing on road. Checked mirrors and landing gear was fine. Best guess was the chain securing my extra propane tank had jostled loose somehow and was dragging. Whatever it was, I could not possibly pull over because the interstates that converge in downtown Louisville (three of them) are undergoing major construction associated with new Ohio River bridge. Only about 12 miles to my house and with no safe place to pull off, I continued on (not exceeding 60 mph). When I finally got to bottom of exit ramp from freeway I applied brakes (for first time since I had started), and the third (most rearward) axle broke loose on passenger side. That wheel swung around and by the time I stopped axle was at 45 degree angle to normal with significant body damage on both sides and underneath (caused by both wheels). Fast forward: tow truck driver got axle free and I pulled RV back to dealer on two axles (with tow truck following). Dealer will not accept responsibility because they did no work in that area. My position is that it was not broken when I originally dropped it off, they had it for three weeks and moved it at least 3 times, and it was broken when I picked it up. Still don't know root cause. Wondering if anyone else has experienced or heard of this type of failure. Whatever the outcome, I'm counting my blessings because it could have been much, much worse if it had failed at speed. Repair estimate is $2300.

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
TLB

Sorry to hear about the damage.
Did one of the spring bolts break?

2014 Passport Elite 31RE

2017 2500HD Crew Cab
TLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
ri_truck_guy

My FZ371 was damaged in a very similar way while in transit from the manufacturer to the dealer when a spring u-bolt failed. Mine escaped the body damage, mainly because the axle snapped back into one of the level-up jacks. They replaced everything underneath on mine before I took delivery, including two completely new axle assemblies.
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited 103 CI
Everyone has issues...some people's are just more interesting."
ri_truck_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
LouSlugger

Don't know yet what failed. Dealer is supposed to try to figure it out and let me know -- although I won't necessarily accept their opinion. Thanks.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM   #5
hankaye

LouSlugger, Howdy;

Might behoove you to ask the Service Mgr. how his worker-bees
re-position the RV's on the lot. if they use a tractor or skid steer
with the ball/king-pin receiver in the front that pivots the Rv's into
tight slots. Not when he's watching them, but, you know how those
high school kids can be ... maybe help save someone else from the
same damage...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
Ken / Claudia

I agree with Hankeye and really consider your insurance co. investigate since they would be on your side. Finding out how the axle broke or failed is the key. The dealer might be to willing to blame you for bad welds, skidding the tires while moving into/out of tight spots. etc.I would also see for myself how they move the RVs around the lot.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #7
Javi

Sorry about your problems, but that's why we carry insurance I guess....

Who would you blame if it had happened 5 minutes before you dropped it off at the dealers?
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:46 AM   #8
LouSlugger

If it had happened 5 minutes before I dropped it at the dealer, of course I would not blame the dealer. They do use a tractor (as described in other posts above) to move RVs around the lot (which is often packed full) so will certainly keep that possibility in mind. Also, just as automobile mechanics have a duty to make sure a vehicle is safe to drive before they allow the customer to drive it off the lot, I think an RV dealer has the same duty. A simple visual inspection may very well have discovered this failure before I picked it up.
I am fully insured but shouldn't have to make an insurance claim (possibly affecting my rates) if a third party is at fault.
Thanks all.

Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #9
BirchyBoy

Sorry to read about your mishap and I'm glad that it didn't get worse. I know it's bygones now, but if I was in your shoes, I would have found an exit to pull over at much sooner than 12 miles, unless there really isn't any in the area.

I think you're going to have a hard time getting the dealer to admit any fault. They likely move hundreds of units a year with the same tractor that they used for yours, and they didn't do any work around the axles. Good luck, though!
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #10
2014301ktmhauler

My 2014 FZ301 had the rear axle come loose on the passenger side . The perch slid back on the spring until the tire contacted the stair well for rear door. All of the smaller leaves were gone so I am not sure what happened first.
Same story, tow truck winched the axle back into place and I limped back to the dealer.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:16 AM   #11
bmach

Why blame the dealer? This trailer is 7 yo sounds to me like something just failed. If it rained that afternoon and you had a roof leak, would you blame the dealer for that? How about on your way home and you get pulled over for a tail light out, blame the dealer also?
bmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:24 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouSlugger View Post
If it had happened 5 minutes before I dropped it at the dealer, of course I would not blame the dealer. They do use a tractor (as described in other posts above) to move RVs around the lot (which is often packed full) so will certainly keep that possibility in mind. Also, just as automobile mechanics have a duty to make sure a vehicle is safe to drive before they allow the customer to drive it off the lot, I think an RV dealer has the same duty. A simple visual inspection may very well have discovered this failure before I picked it up.
I am fully insured but shouldn't have to make an insurance claim (possibly affecting my rates) if a third party is at fault.
Thanks all.
I'm a bit touchy on the subject having been sued by a customer for a similar deal. I rebuilt his carburetor and did a tune-up on his motor.... three weeks later his transmission dropped a synchronizer and 4th gear.. Somehow he thought I should fix it for free because I had worked on his car. I easily won the case but it cost me plenty to defend myself.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #13
LouSlugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Sorry to read about your mishap and I'm glad that it didn't get worse. I know it's bygones now, but if I was in your shoes, I would have found an exit to pull over at much sooner than 12 miles, unless there really isn't any in the area.
There really was no safe place to pull over. But even if there had been, it was my application of the brakes which caused the axle to release. Had I decided to pull over on the interstate, I would have applied the brakes (except starting at a much faster speed than I was moving when I was rolling to a stop at a traffic signal). If the axle had broken loose then, the damage would have been much worse AND I would have found myself disabled in one of only two lanes of interstate traffic with a 65 mph speed limit. So in hindsight, I think it's fortunate I didn't apply the brakes before I did.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 AM   #14
bsmith0404

Having worked as a mechanic for yrs I will say I disagree with your statement that a mechanic has the responsibility to make sure your car is safe to drive. The mechanic has the responsibility to perform the work you requested and to make sure it is done properly so your car is safe from the work they did. You have the responsibility to make sure your car is safe to drive. Yes a mechanic may look at and identify other issues to you, but it is not their responsibility to do so, or to identify every issue with your vehicle, or to.fix them before you drive away.

Glad you're safe and hope your repairs go well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #15
LouSlugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Having worked as a mechanic for yrs I will say I disagree with your statement that a mechanic has the responsibility to make sure your car is safe to drive. The mechanic has the responsibility to perform the work you requested and to make sure it is done properly so your car is safe from the work they did. You have the responsibility to make sure your car is safe to drive. Yes a mechanic may look at and identify other issues to you, but it is not their responsibility to do so, or to identify every issue with your vehicle, or to.fix them before you drive away.
I appreciate your perspective as a mechanic, but the law in most states does impose that duty on mechanics -- they don't have to "identify every issue with your vehicle," but they can be held liable for safety issues which they knew or should have known existed through the exercise of reasonable care. So if part of my axle assembly was broken and parts were dangling onto the ground when they released the RV to me (which seems to be the case), I would argue they either knew or should have known of the condition and told me about it. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #16
LouSlugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmach View Post
Why blame the dealer? This trailer is 7 yo sounds to me like something just failed. If it rained that afternoon and you had a roof leak, would you blame the dealer for that? How about on your way home and you get pulled over for a tail light out, blame the dealer also?
Sorry but that's nonsense. We aren't talking about a roof leak or an expired light bulb -- although if the roof leaked because the dealer busted a hole in the roof, or the bulb was out because the dealer crushed it with a hammer, then I would hold them responsible. There was a major mechanical failure that happened while the RV was in the exclusive possession and control of the dealer. The failure that led to the axle breaking loose did not happen while I was towing it, it happened at the dealer. As other posters have noted, they could have caused this failure while maneuvering it with their tractor (such as by pivoting at an extreme angle).

Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
bsmith0404

Quote:
I appreciate your perspective as a mechanic, but the law in most states does impose that duty on mechanics -- they don't have to "identify every issue with your vehicle," but they can be held liable for safety issues which they knew or should have known existed through the exercise of reasonable care. So if part of my axle assembly was broken and parts were dangling onto the ground when they released the RV to me (which seems to be the case), I would argue they either knew or should have known of the condition and told me about it. Thanks.
I was going off of you original post which stated you dropped it off for minor repairs none involving wheels or axles. Mechanics are not required to do a complete safety inspection on every part of your vehicle. Reasonably known would mean if in the line of performing requested repairs on your vehicle they should have noticed the condition, or if the condition was readily apparent that a trained eye should have seen under normal circumstances. You never stated what the minor repairs were so I'm assuming they were not up under the RV near the axles. If you didn't have any concern with the axles/suspension, the mechanic would not have a reason to inspect those items. A quick visual inspection of wheels/tires would be reasonable.

I do understand your frustration and I would probably be just as upset, but one thing I have learned over the years is that things break. There was always a point where everything worked perfectly......it was just before it broke and we don't always get a warning or signs of it happening.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #18
Javi

Quote:
Sorry but that's nonsense. We aren't talking about a roof leak or an expired light bulb -- although if the roof leaked because the dealer busted a hole in the roof, or the bulb was out because the dealer crushed it with a hammer, then I would hold them responsible. There was a major mechanical failure that happened while the RV was in the exclusive possession and control of the dealer. The failure that led to the axle breaking loose did not happen while I was towing it, it happened at the dealer. As other posters have noted, they could have caused this failure while maneuvering it with their tractor (such as by pivoting at an extreme angle).
Or it could simply have been the result of 7 years of towing and chose that moment to let go. As for being held responsible for inspecting every nook and cranny of the trailer for safety issues when you brought the trailer in with a specific list of problems to be fixed. If that list didn't include the running gear of the trailer then .... good luck with that one in court.

BTW I'm reasonably sure that in every state the operator of a vehicle has a responsibility to ensure that the vehicle is safe to operate... Did you inspect the axles prior to pulling into the roadway, did you test the brakes, inspect the tires, check the light for proper operation ect.... ? Maybe if you had, you would not have had an issue on the road.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
LouSlugger

My father used to say never argue with a fool because he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with his experience. I'll choose to follow his advice on this one and just let it go.

Old 08-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #20
bsmith0404

Quote:
My father used to say never argue with a fool because he will drag you down to his level and then beat you with his experience. I'll choose to follow his advice on this one and just let it go.
Trust me, we are not trying to argue with you or say that this was your fault, we are just playing devils advocate and saying it's not necessarily the dealers fault either. Could the damage have happened while on the lot and was it possible that they could have found or even caused the problem?....yes. Is it also possible that there wasn't anything at all detectable wrong while the RV was on the lot and it just broke after you drove away?...yes. Trying to blame the dealer for something that they did not work on that broke 12 miles down the road is going to be hard to prove. You stated that the axle broke loose when you applied the brake at 40ish mph. Could it be that a weld was starting to get stressed and the weight of a 12k lb RV trying to continue at 40 mph while the axle was trying to bring it to a stop was enough to finally get it to let loose? Did you do a tug test when you hooked up? If so, you had the brakes holding the axles in place with the truck trying to pull the trailer off of them. There are a number of things that could have contributed to this.

Having something like this happen and cause thousands of dollars worth of damage is an emotional situation and as humans go, we want someone to blame. In this case, I just don't think you have enough to fight the dealer with. My advice, file the claim with your insurance and let them investigate it. If they see any negligence that can be pointed at the dealer, they will take them to court to try to recoup their money. If you file yourself and end up losing in court, it'll just be salt in the wound.

On another note, thank you for sharing your story, I just added one more thing to my routine inspection list. I check the suspension prior to towing anyway, but now I'll be looking a little closer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE