Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
kriz287

Electrical issues?

We have a 2012 raptor MP300 that just pulled out of winter storage 2 weeks ago. When I went to fire up the heater to test it the thermostat has no power to it. I have checked every fuse in the panel and inline fuses as well and nothing. I also replaced the 3 fuses in the convertor but still no power to the thermostat.
Any help would be appreciated.
kriz287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #2
TandE

Have you checked to see if there is a fuse in the thermostat itself? I think that some thermostat have them and are usually the glass style fuses.

Travis
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz287 View Post
We have a 2012 raptor MP300 that just pulled out of winter storage 2 weeks ago. When I went to fire up the heater to test it the thermostat has no power to it. I have checked every fuse in the panel and inline fuses as well and nothing. I also replaced the 3 fuses in the convertor but still no power to the thermostat.
Any help would be appreciated.
Can not tell by your question if all (120 VAC and 12VDC) devices in the Raptor are working except the thermostat? You stated checking all fuses. Replaced fuses in converter? where they blown?
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #4
kriz287

Thermostat fuse has been checked and is good. All devices in unit are operational except the thermostat (which obviously affects the heat and cooling) and the stereo system isnt working. All 3 fuses in the converter were blown (not sure what happened) but have been replaced
Old 05-11-2014, 06:45 AM   #5
Javi

Some converters have fuses on the back of the unit, have you checked them?
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Were the three blown fuses the reverse polarity fuses? You may have reversed the leads when you reconnected the battery.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #7
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz287 View Post
Thermostat fuse has been checked and is good. All devices in unit are operational except the thermostat (which obviously affects the heat and cooling) and the stereo system isnt working. All 3 fuses in the converter were blown (not sure what happened) but have been replaced
Based on your response all working except radio and thermostat I would assume the converter is working little concerned why converter fuses were blown initially From what I have read seems like connecting battery up backwards is common reason for the blown fuses on back of converter. Remember you can easily remove the converter from the picture by removing shore power and seeing how things work.

Getting back to problem of these two devices for the radio since it is a auto type it may have an in line fuse. For the thermostat not exactly sure how it is powered mine has a 12 VDC fuse labeled furnace that I assume powers the thermostat. If I get some time today will go out and pull the 12VDC fuse and see if thermostat goes off.

I had also read that at times these LED lights near the 12VDC fuses are not reliable I would check with a meter.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
Bob Landry

With these types of problems, a little bit of logic goes a long way. If ANY 12V device works, then you are getting 12V from the converter or the battery. The converter takes 120VAC and converts it to 12VDC. It does not control individual devices, it sends 12VDC to a buss that feeds the individual fuses. You can verify the converter operation by seeing if , guess what?, any 12V device works. If it does, the circuit breaker feeding the converter is operating and the converter is working. Check this by turning off or disconnecting the battery. If any 12V device works, again, the converter is fine and you have a problem with the individual circuits/devices. Even with the battery connected, if you are plugged in, the converter ignores the battery except for charging and supplies ALL of the 12V DC for the trailer. The converter does not need the battery to operate.

Along with logic, a certain amount of self-education is beneficial. If you ask how to diagnose an electrical issue and you do not know what runs on AC and what runs on DC, then you probably are not going to get a helpful answer.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
kriz287

Thanks PARAPTOR, took the radio apart and did find an inline fuse in the back of the unit that once replaced solved that issue. Seems that the blown fuses were a result of hooking up one of the batteries backwards.
Only issue i have yet is the thermostat, i have backtracked the lines and even opened up the rooftop unit and see no issues. I pulled the small fuse out of the thermostat and going to try replacing that next. If that doesnt resolve the issues it will be making a trip to the dealer.