Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
crohill

Anyone ever install a fantastic fan?

I just recently installed a Fantastic Fan with a rubber roof...just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and what kind of troubles you ran into. Also to give tips to help future fan installers from making the same mistakes.

2014 Keystone Passport 2920BH

2005 GMC Yukon 5.3L 3.42 ratio with trans cool and
Heavy Duty Tow Package

Pro Series WD Hitch with Dual Sway Bars.

Previous trailer was 2006 Fleetwood Orbit hybrid 20'
crohill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
canesfan

Never installed one, but have had them. One thing I will say is, if you have ANY problems, doubt, etc, CALL THEM, they have THE BEST customer service!! When my cheap knockoff Chinese fan quits I'll definitely replace it with a Fantastic Fan once again.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
crohill

The fan moves air for sure..and quietly...it is worth the extra buck.

So here is the problems I ran into...

1. Old Dicor was almost impossible to get off the old rubber roof..and you need a CLEAN surface before laying down lap sealant. I thought it would be a great idea to use goo gone to remove it...AND IT DID IT..However..it also disolved some of the glue that was holding the rubber roof to the plywood..if you are going to use goo gone..one tiny drop at a time and clean it up right away.

2. New fan had some holes that used the same pattern as the old fan..holes that were in the roof from the original woodscrews were stripped. Might want to by a few of the next sized wood screws from the local hardware store so if you run into this the replacement screw will grab much better.

3. TEST FAN BEFORE INSTALLING...how terrible would it be to get it all done and find out the fan does not work. make sure to test on the exact wiring you are going to use... weather it is from an old fan or a nearby light fixture.

4. Use a little dicor in each hole before putting screw back in..then make sure to cover each and every screw with dicor when done.

5. Two types of Dicor self leveling caulk to use..
- If you have an EDPM Rubber roof you use Lap Sealant
- If you have a TPO roof (like my passport) you need a 2 step process
-There is a primer that costs arounf $40 per quart (SHEESH)
-Then the 2nd step is the sealant tube..about $9 per tube
-ALWAYS BUY 2 Tube of self leveling caulk, if you only use one
just keep the other in the camper for emergencies.

I hope this helps for future fan installers. The fantastic fan is ABSOLUTELY worth the trouble...pulls TONS OF AIR IN OR OUT!

Heavy Duty Tow Package

Old 05-02-2014, 07:29 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I installed two, one on our Springdale and one on our Cougar. The only issue I ran into was cleaning all the "old" DICOR sealant off the EPDM roof so the new fan would sit flush on the roof. The old ceiling vent roof flanges were slightly smaller than the Fantastic fan, so when removed, the new fan sat over some of the older DICOR and wouldn't sit down flush on the roof. I used a plastic scraper and plastic razor blades to remove the old DICOR. Other than that, it was a straight forward "remove and replace" type of installation.

Just be careful when trying to scrape the DICOR off the EPDM. it will stretch, pull up away from the OSB roofing material and is very easy to nick and cause a hole. That's not a "big issue" since the new DICOR will cover it anyway, but I didn't want any new sources of potential leaks so I took my time cleaning the roof. All told, the install from putting the ladder beside the trailer to putting it back in the pole barn was about 3 hours the first time and about 2.5 hours the second time.

Good Luck

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

crohill, Great post. The only problem I see is that citrus and petroleum based products should not be used on rubber roof materials. I believe "Goo-Gone" is citrus based.( but I have been wrong before) Since you say you cleaned it off immediately it probably did not degrade the rubber but it is something to keep in mind for the future. Enjoy your new fan and the fruits of your labor. It's always a good feeling when a job turns out well, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #6
crohill

Yeah... I found out about the goo gone after the fact...guess I didn't read enough. However...the trick is it doesn't damage the actual rubber..but it soaks through the rubber membrane and gets to the glue underneath the rubber. Small areas are OK and a small bubble won't hurt a thing... but I also read stories about people that bough gallons of Goo Gone and cleaned the whole roof...I am so glad I learned my lesson on such a small area...those people must be kicking themselves on a daily basis.

I may just clean the hard to remove dicor next time with a touch of mineral spirits and then put fresh right over it...heard lots of success with that.

Metal and fiberglas roofs are simple when it comes to removing old dicor..just scrape it off.... but the rubber roofs tear and pull so easily.

Any other problems ...tips or tricks anyone?????

Heavy Duty Tow Package

Old 05-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Whitewolf

I did a basic fan swap out with a Fantastic Fan on our 2011 Passport. Didn't have to change the whole thing, just the fan.

While searching for a good vent cover I ran across this video.

http://youtu.be/p1fhkbl_1yQ

Our second TT, a Forest River Windjammer already had the cover installed over the bathroom fan. I added 3 more covers to the other 3 fan less vents. 1, to keep the rain out and 2, so all the covers matched.

We have yet to pick up our High Country. I know it's got 2 fans, one with that rain sensor thing and one in the bath. Can't do anything about the rain sensor fan, but if the fan in the bath doesn't have the above cover, it'll be replaced.

'14 Montana High Country 305RL - Reese Goose Box - Morryde HD shackles & wet bolts - JoyRider shocks - JT StrongArms - Torklift steps - Correct Track - Progressive EMS-HW50C - Clear Source water filter - On The Go water softener
'21 Ram 3500 w/6.7 Cummins - Sinister Diesel oil bypass
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Bob Landry

The trim ring that came with my FF wasn't a good fit because of the thickness of the roof trusses and curvature of the valeted roofand I had to use the existing trim ring. It to wasn't a perfect fit, but only a small gap ended up visible and you had to be standing directly under the fan to see it. All in all, it was an easy swap and the fan works great.
I was able to get the old Dicor off the roof carefully with a putty knife. The acre hold did not match up, so I filled them with Dicor and drilled new ones. I used an entire tube of Dicor on the installation and I'm sure there will be no leaks.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote