Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2015, 03:37 AM   #81
gtsum2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I use a Camp Chef 3 burner also. I have a cast iron griddle that covers 2 burners, and is excellent for cooking anything. I also have the BBQ box that covers one burner. I took it one step further and bought the Camp Chef oven with two burners on top. It isn't real good for "precision" baking, but it's great for garlic bread or desserts. I carry an extra 20# bottle and have a "tree", so I can use the propane lantern too.

Old post but what models do u have? I am going to order camp chef and want a three burner stove with griddle over two burners and grill box for one burner just like you have but I cannot find a single burner grill box for the 16 inch series??? All the ones I see cover two burners??
Old 05-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #82
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN

We have a weber and it is the most reliable portable BBQ grill we have ever had. As for storing it. I use a big tupperware container. I put all my little gas tanks, utensils etc in it so everything is all together. Hope this helps

-2013 F350 Lariat turbo diesel 6.7,
B&W companion hitch, 18k
-2013 Montana Mountaineer 295RKD
On_THE_ROAD_AGAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #83
B-O-B'03

I bought a Weber Q 2200, to go in our new 22RBPR and the coach has an external gas port for the outdoor kitchen.

I modified the gas line, with a "T" and added a second quick connect, modified the Weber with a quick connect and got a 10 foot quick connect hose from Amazon.

I also got the optional griddle for the Weber and the only "cooking" so far inside the coach was a pan of nachos in the oven.

I love the Weber, it does a fantastic job on steaks. I have not used the griddle yet but I see pancakes in my future

-Brian
Old 05-23-2015, 06:53 AM   #84
TheRealMacGyver

I just bought the Weber Q1000 for $169 on Amazon.com. I just cooked burgers and hotdogs last night and the grill is very good. Plenty of heat and even cooking. If you're having trouble justifying the money, go with this cheaper model and you'll be very happy.
TheRealMacGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 PM   #85
sourdough
Site Team

This is an old thread but thought I would share my "experience" since I had asked this question a couple of months (or more) ago.

The consensus seems to be with the Weber series on the forum. I had looked at the Coleman Roadtrip LXE because I liked the portable stand. I also liked the 2 burners (20k btu) with interchangeable tops; grill, coils, griddle. I liked the 2 rows of burners on the Q200 but not the stand. Couldn't make up my mind so bought both to compare.

I had determined I was not going to cook in the camper unless it was a necessity so I wanted to do breakfast and dinner outside for sure. I wanted/needed flexibility.....so here's where I am;

The Weber cooks good. It has a 12k btu burner that cooks better than I thought it would. I did not buy the stand and used it "as is". I bought the Coleman with the included stand plus the coil grates (it included grill grates). It cooks good as well.

I have chosen the Coleman simply due to a couple of things. 20k btu burners cook stuff (fried potates/boil water) much quicker than 12k btu. Steaks turn out just as well. The versatility of the burners is a plus and the carrying case, which I don't have for the Q, is a real plus when traveling. Anyway, that's what I came up with. Don't get me wrong, the Q is an awesome grill; the Coleman just had some bling that I didn't seem to see in the Q. Cooking wise you can't go wrong with either.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #86
Hans Jr

I probably over looked it, but anyone using an electric grill? our friends bout us this one for our wedding present. works great and holds alot. its an electric george foreman grill. works like a charm and can be used inside also! we love it.

2010 Fuzion 383 Touring Edition II #12 of 500

Traveling the country one race track at a time!
Hans Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #87
NavyDiver1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by therink View Post
We have 2 Weber-Q 200 grills. One for the RV and one for the stick-n-brick. I removed the regulator on the rv grill and run a hose from the aux propane outlet. Great set up, great grills. Will last forever and cook well. Easy to clean. They are a bit heavy and do take a bit of storage space.
I was wondering if you had any pictures of the modifications or a parts list of what you needed to use the Weber-Q with the propane outlet.

Jim
NavyDiver1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #88
therink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDiver1980 View Post
I was wondering if you had any pictures of the modifications or a parts list of what you needed to use the Weber-Q with the propane outlet.

Jim
Jim
First, I bought this hose kit with quick connect from Lowes: http://m.lowes.com/pd/Grill-Care-Com...s-Hose/4165981. Then I purchased a 3/8" x 1/4" steel bushing and 1/4" x 1" pipe nipple (black iron) from plumbing aisle.
The quick connect fitting end of the hose connects to the quick connect on the rear of my trailer. I removed the regulator from the Weber and connectedthe threaded end of the hose with bushing and nipple to the Weber gas valve (where the former regulator threaded into). Used pipe dope at all threads. Good to go.
Sorry no photos.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:10 PM   #89
Hutch

Last year we were using a Cabela's Stainless Steel table top BBQ. Construction was good, small grill area with stainless grills (Not a fan) and the BBQ was way to hot. This year I purchased a Napoleon Travel Q 285 w/ Scissor Cart and OMG what a nice BBQ, this is the camper BBQ of camper BBQs!

They are now available at Canadian Tire, watch for them to go on sale. I picked mine up for $320.

http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills...h-scissor-cart
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #90
GMcKenzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Last year we were using a Cabela's Stainless Steel table top BBQ. Construction was good, small grill area with stainless grills (Not a fan) and the BBQ was way to hot. This year I purchased a Napoleon Travel Q 285 w/ Scissor Cart and OMG what a nice BBQ, this is the camper BBQ of camper BBQs!

They are now available at Canadian Tire, watch for them to go on sale. I picked mine up for $320.

http://www.napoleongrills.com/grills...h-scissor-cart
Not sure if I said it here, but this is the BBQ I ended up with. Just without the cart. I really like it and like the ability to have different heat on both sides.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #91
Sprintergal

You can always remove the lid, put the grill in the pass thru then slide the lid in on top of it. Once the grill is sitting on the floor of the pass thru the lid will generally fit right on top of it. Just an idea to try.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #92
curlyws6

I got my Weber Q1000 and thermostat Monday and have already removed the regulator so I can hook to the travel trailer gas (going out tomorrow at lunch to pick up all the fittings to make it happen). I can't wait to try it!
Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #93
vampress_me

Hubby has a Camp Chef set-up that he loves to cook on while we are camping. I didn't want to have to drag it out to use it on our trip to New York State a couple of weeks ago, so he got me a pink Weber Q1200. Cooked on the Q the whole trip, out and back, and love it! Easy to cook on, easy to clean up. Now that I have the trial run done, I will take the easy way out and order the conversion kit from Calore equipment so I can hook it up to the Cougar's quick connect instead of using the little propane tanks.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:05 PM   #94
MontanaMike

Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett here. It's a portable pellet grill/smoker and I love it. I've had everything from the Coleman Roadtrip, to the Camp Chef 90 with grill box, and some cheapo propane gas grill that attached to the side of my old 5th wheel and it's by far the best of them all. I love the fact that I can smoke and grill on the same BBQ.

Here is a picture of one (not mine) but with an RV and picnic table so you can get an idea of it's size:

Mine in action:

I have it's bigger, non-portable, brother at home and use it all the time. Last time we went camping I even baked some biscuits with it because I didn't want to heat up my Carbon with the oven. I've baked cookies, bread, etc with it and there is nothing like wood-fired pizza or smoked meats. Plus you get the advantage if being one of the few in the campground smoking ribs or a brisket for dinner.

Pros: To numerous to mention. Baking, grilling, smoking. It does it all.

Cons:
1.) Of course it takes pellets but it seems to have a low pellet usage. A bag kept me in business for a couple weeks at 10 bucks a bag depending on where you get them.
2.) Requires 12 volt power but it comes with a 110v converter, cable with alligator clips and a cigarette plug. It seems to use little juice. I camped a whole week with it and smoked ribs (about 6 hours), cooked bacon, dogs, brauts, and burgers numerous times and the 12 volt Interstate battery (just an old one laying around my garage) kept it going.
3.) Kind of heavy (60 pounds or so) so you might need help moving it around depending on your physical capabilities.
4.) If you have a big family or numerous guests, it might not hold enough food.
2010 Polaris Sportsman 550X2
MontanaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 PM   #95
GrumpyG

X2 on the GMG Davy Crockett. Only problem is all your neighbors will be gathering around when they smell the great aromas coming out of your campsite.

Put a pork butt on overnight and mix it in with your scrambled eggs in the morning.

My version of the Davy Crockett also has the wi-fi option so I can monitor temps on my phone.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #96
hankaye

MontanaMike, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMike View Post
Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett here. It's a portable pellet grill/smoker and I love it. I've had everything from the Coleman Roadtrip, to the Camp Chef 90 with grill box, and some cheapo propane gas grill that attached to the side of my old 5th wheel and it's by far the best of them all. I love the fact that I can smoke and grill on the same BBQ.

Here is a picture of one (not mine) but with an RV and picnic table so you can get an idea of it's size:

Mine in action:

I have it's bigger, non-portable, brother at home and use it all the time. Last time we went camping I even baked some biscuits with it because I didn't want to heat up my Carbon with the oven. I've baked cookies, bread, etc with it and there is nothing like wood-fired pizza or smoked meats. Plus you get the advantage if being one of the few in the campground smoking ribs or a brisket for dinner.

Pros: To numerous to mention. Baking, grilling, smoking. It does it all.

Cons:
1.) Of course it takes pellets but it seems to have a low pellet usage. A bag kept me in business for a couple weeks at 10 bucks a bag depending on where you get them.
2.) Requires 12 volt power but it comes with a 110v converter, cable with alligator clips and a cigarette plug. It seems to use little juice. I camped a whole week with it and smoked ribs (about 6 hours), cooked bacon, dogs, brauts, and burgers numerous times and the 12 volt Interstate battery (just an old one laying around my garage) kept it going.
3.) Kind of heavy (60 pounds or so) so you might need help moving it around depending on your physical capabilities.
4.) If you have a big family or numerous guests, it might not hold enough food.
Go back to pg.2 post #13, follow the link I posted, I can ...
> Smoke a 13# turkey (have to lay it in sorta on a diagonal).
> Smoke a 10# Pork shoulder on the top rack or middle rack and do some
chile poppers or a 'Fatty' http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...fattie-on.html or a few
on the top at the same time.
> I can also use a dutch oven in it for cobbler, biscuits or a dump cake,
take the top section off and I can grill a steak or some burgers...
total cost was near $150.00 (includes a set of Cracort cast Iron grates
for the grill @$50.00).
> Do 2 racks of ribs,
> Fold a Brisket over the rib rack and manage a decent one of them.
Haven't yet but I figure for Labor Day I just may to see what fits.
Portable, breaks down and is easy to transport.

Only con is clean-up, but I get a tad OCD in that area ...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 07:27 PM   #97
GrumpyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
MontanaMike, Howdy;

Go back to pg.2 post #13, follow the link I posted, I can ...
> Smoke a 13# turkey (have to lay it in sorta on a diagonal).
> Smoke a 10# Pork shoulder on the top rack or middle rack and do some
chile poppers or a 'Fatty' http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...fattie-on.html or a few
on the top at the same time.
> I can also use a dutch oven in it for cobbler, biscuits or a dump cake,
take the top section off and I can grill a steak or some burgers...
total cost was near $150.00 (includes a set of Cracort cast Iron grates
for the grill @$50.00).
> Do 2 racks of ribs,
> Fold a Brisket over the rib rack and manage a decent one of them.
Haven't yet but I figure for Labor Day I just may to see what fits.
Portable, breaks down and is easy to transport.

Only con is clean-up, but I get a tad OCD in that area ...

hankaye
Yeah, that small WSM knock-off is a great little smoker. I have the small Weber WSM which is almost the same thing.

I still like the GMG Davy Crockett grill/smoker better for an RV cooker. I can get the GMG up to 500 degrees. Can't do that with the WSM. The WSM is smaller and lighter, but after all is said and done, the GMG is just easier to use and more versatile.

Plus, IMO, the WSM is more difficult to transport because of the way it fits together.

Don't get me wrong, the WSMs (all models) are great smokers. I just like the GMG for a travel companion.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote