Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Festus2
Site Team

Question Will I get what I paid for??

I've been searching for a 3000-3500w generator for quite some time and have now just bought a new one. I was looking for something that (1) didn't cost an arm and a leg, (2) was a "suitcase" portable inverter type, (3) was reasonably quiet, (4) was fairly "lightweight", (5) wasn't used, (6) did not require shipping or shipping charges, and (7) had an authorized service center nearby in case it needed servicing.

Yes, I know I should have bought a Honda or a Yamaha but they are just too much money. Reliable and quiet - for sure. Looked at the Boliy but again pretty pricey. Remember I am talking Canadian prices.

I ended up buying a BE 3500w inverter generator from a small and local outfit that, as luck would have it, is the designated service center for this generator.
His price of $750 Cdn plus tax was as good as or better than any Internet price I could find and comes with a 1 year warranty.

The reviews and ratings that I have been able to find are generally positive. Again, I know it isn't going to be as good as a Honda, Yamaha or Boliy.

This BE3500 meets all of the criteria I set out above. It has 2 110v 20A outlets, 1-110v 30A RV twist lock outlet, and 1- 12v 8.5A outlet. For a generator of this type and wattage, it is reasonably light (70 lbs dry) and is rated at 62 db. We all know that the db rating of generators is not standard and it is left up to the manufacturer to determine, if they want, what the db rating is. I'm not placing much faith in that number but we will see.

The generator also comes under the name of ETQ (ETQ IN3500I) and perhaps one or two other brand names. It is, of course, made in China but try to find a generator or anything else that isn't. So, don't beat me up for buying something stamped "Made in China". I wonder if Honda, Yamaha and Boliy are entirely made somewhere other than China? But that's another topic for another thread.

I didn't want something housed in a tubular cage and weighing 100+ lbs which almost all generators are of this wattage. I'm too old for this kind of heavy lifting and so is my wife. It is a "briefcase" type - no wheels or handle however. The lack of both could be a project this Spring.

I am picking it up next week. I'll post again after I've fired it up and run it for a while. Too early in the year to test it with the RV but I'll set it up on the patio and plug in some items to give it a bit of test under load.

So far, it has met all the criteria except one I didn't mention.....Will I get what I paid for??? Stay tuned.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Well. I'm not sure any of us will know if you'll get your money's worth. I bet fast forward a year and you can tell us!
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Festus2
Site Team

SAD -
I know. I was just talking to myself. Asking myself questions too. Now how bad can it get? No reply necessary.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #4
gearhead

Festus: One the best investments I have made is buying engine puller from Harbor Freight. I use it to put my generator in the truck bed and the 5th hitch.
Folds up and stores in the corner of the garage.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-c...ane-69512.html
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Steve S

I checked the specs at KMS, I've never heard of them but from years of dealing with KMS I can tell you right now they don't sell crap and they always stand behind what they sell so I think you scored!
I'm not sure where you bought yours from but it's like anything, if you take care of it it'll take care of you.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

Steve-
KMS Tools (Abbotsford) does sell the model and almost bought it there until I discovered that Als Supply House in Chilliwack would match the price and they are much closer and are the authorized service center for the BE generator products. I ended up buying it from Al's.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Mark TC

This is what I am thinking about getting
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...r?cm_vc=-10005

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Mark,

That is the same generator I bought 3 years ago. It's been a good one (not great because of the noise). We've used it several times to recharge the batteries when drycamping, used it at the house during power outages and used it at the new pole barn since we don't have power there. It starts on the first or second pull (if you don't forget the choke) and I always let it run for about 5 minutes to warm up and always remove all power from it and let it cool down about 5 minutes before shutting it down.

The only issue I have with it is that it's not as quiet as I'd like. Since we camp in the "boonies" and are usually the only people within miles and almost always there's nobody within 500' or closer, it's OK as the noise isn't heard by anyone but us. I wouldn't want to use it in a campground where there are other campers within 50' of the generator.

I think, for a 'general purpose" all around generator, you made a good choice. It will power your entire 30 amp rig with no problems and if you're inside with the door closed, you probably won't even hear it over the A/C and television. Just think about the guy in the tent in the next space if you're in a campground. LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 AM   #9
jsmith948

Fstus2-
Thanks for the info. Hadn't heard of that brand before. Will have to see if they will (can?) sell then here in PRC (Peoples' Republic of California). Maybe they have a CARB compliant model -or I can get one in Nevada when I visit my DB.

John - what is the weight of your Champion?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Jack,

Advertised empty weight is 98 lbs, but it doesn't feel that heavy, I'd say probably about 90 lbs, maybe 110 with gas in it ??? It's really too heavy for one person to lift up into the truck bed. I use a set of ramps (have the wheel kit on it).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Fstus2-
Thanks for the info. Hadn't heard of that brand before. Will have to see if they will (can?) sell then here in PRC (Peoples' Republic of California). Maybe they have a CARB compliant model -or I can get one in Nevada when I visit my DB.

John - what is the weight of your Champion?
jsmith948 -
It seems that this generator (BE3500 &ETQ3500) is not CARB compliant and wouldn't be available for sale in CA. If you are considering other BE or ETQ inverter generators and wondering if they are CARB compliant I guess you would have to do a Google search. My guess is that they wouldn't be.

As mentioned, I'll be picking mine up Wed or Thurs and doing some non-RV testing on the patio with various loads to see how it performs and to check out the sound level. To help with this, I also downloaded a db app for the iPhone and which should give me a rough idea of its "noise" level.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:14 AM   #12
jsmith948

Thanks Festus2 and John for the info. The price of the Champion is certainly attractive. The inverters are more fuel efficient - but I can buy a lot of gas for the $600 difference in price.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
byrdr1

Good thread guys, keep it up.. I told the wife this weekend that if we ever started going to out of state places I would want a generator to have when we stopped. my 5 hours average trip away from home I don't feel i need it yet. I do have a B&S 6500watter in the shop for home use. but gosh that thing weighs around 200lbs or more.
I did take it to the bristol race the other year but lucked up and got a powered site. Never used it!
I have used it 3-4 times running the camper during ice outages on 30a side and this is the 220v one, but my hookup is 120v 30a side.
Keep us up to date on your adventure and any other thoughts these cheaper genarators..
we all know the Honda and Yamaha one do great things..
thanks,
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #14
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post

As mentioned, I'll be picking mine up Wed or Thurs and doing some non-RV testing on the patio with various loads to see how it performs and to check out the sound level. To help with this, I also downloaded a db app for the iPhone and which should give me a rough idea of its "noise" level.
So did you manage to pick it up today and fire it up for a quick test?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Yes, I picked it up today (Thursday) bought it home, fired it up, ran it for awhile but haven't put any loads on it just yet. I'll post an initial review of it in a few days after I have had a chance to test it out with different types of loads. I can't do much testing using the RV since it is under wraps and still winterized.

As I mentioned earlier, I installed a couple of app "db meters" on the iPad and will take some measurements of the sound level as well. Not sure how accurate it will be but will post the numbers when I test out the sound level.

I'll keep you posted as I go along.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #16
Steve S

Festus have you put any load on it yet, hooked it to your trailer?
I'll be interesting to see what you can run in your rig.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:44 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Too much snow around here and I'm too busy shoveling. It will be a while before I will be able to test it out with the RV but should be able to get some other "testing" done shortly. Will post those results soon.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #18
Steve S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Steve -
Too much snow around here and I'm too busy shoveling. It will be a while before I will be able to test it out with the RV but should be able to get some other "testing" done shortly. Will post those results soon.
Well the snow is gone, spring looks like it's here
Any luck with testing the genny?
Old 03-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
Festus2
Site Team

Steve -
Yes and No on the testing. I have been building a "sound proof" box of sorts for it and haven't yet put it under any kind of load. Right now, it is sitting in the authorized service center waiting to be looked at regarding a starting issue.
Yesterday, it took me about 25 pulls to get the darn thing started and today, after 40, I gave up.

I phoned the distributor in Abby - doesn't sell them - about the starting - or lack of - and they said that they have had about 10% returns on them for this problem.

I may end up with a new unit - depending upon what they find at the service center in Chwk. I am certainly not about to keep this unit if it does have a starting issue.

I'm going back in tomorrow and talk to the service tech and see what he has to say.
So far, I am not impressed with this thing and may either get a new one that starts or ask for my $$$ back and get something else.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:24 PM   #20
Steve S

Sorry to hear this, I sure wouldn't want a genny that doesn't start on the first pull.
One of my Honda's would do this about once a month and I took that back all beat up and dirty and they replaced it without any questions. I guess they understood that I don't make money if I have no power on job sites.