Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Jeff_S

BBQ Quick Disconnect install in 2014 Montana High Country 318 5er

My wife and I are new members to the Forum and have just purchased a new 2014 Montana High Country 5th wheel model 318. The unit didn't come with a BBQ Quick Disconnect (QD) so I thought I would share how I installed one in our unit.

I have installed QD's in previous 5th wheels but wanted to refine my approach in this unit. I wanted the QD to come out the curbside of the trailer and I didn't want it to exit at the bottom of the rig where it would be inconvenient to access and subject to road hazards and debris. After studying the propane system I decided to install the QD in the right hand propane bottle storage compartment. This install is nice because the QD is out of the weather, stays relatively clean, easy to access, and immune from road hazards.

The factory propane system takes gas from the right hand bottle, pre-regulates to 30PSI, and sends it through a 1/2" black pipe, through the front storage area, to the main regulator in the left hand bottle storage compartment. I realized I could easily run a second 1/2" pipe (72"/6ft pre-threaded pipe available at the big box home store was the perfect length) from the main regulator in the left side back to the new QD in the right hand side. I was able to use a pre-stamped hole in the left side compartment and used my hole saw to drill a matching hole in the inside wall of the right hand compartment. I used pipe clamps to mount the new pipe and grounded it to the frame as was done in the factory pipe run. In the center of the pipe run I used a pipe hangar to tie it into the hangar on the factory pipe.

In the Left hand compartment I disconnected the trailer feed line from the regulator output and inserted a 3/8" tee into the regulator output port. I then reconnected the trailer feed line into one side of the 3/8" tee and connected the other side of the tee to the new 1/2" pipe with an 18" whip that I had made up at our local propane supplier. The whip has a 3/8" male pipe thread on one end to fit into the 3/8"tee and a 3/8" female flare fitting to tie into a 3/8" male flare to 1/2" female pipe fitting on the other end which is connected to the new 1/2" QD delivery pipe. The flare fitting acts as a swivel to enable proper mating of the parts.

In the right hand compartment I installed the QD on to the end of the new pipe. Notice that I also installed a gas shut off valve to insure no gas leakage from the QD when not in use. All pipe joints were sealed with Rector Seal pipe dope and checked for leaks with a water-soap solution.

I've seen some very thorough posts on how to convert BBQ's to use on low pressure gas systems, so I won't go into that. But I did add a picture that shows that I also added a QD to the original BBQ regulator so that I could run the BBQ from a standard small green propane bottle if I wanted to.

This is my first post and I haven't learned how to wrap text around images so hopefully you can correlate my text to the thumbnails.

Cheers,
Jeff_S
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PropaneQD in RtHand Storage Compartment_640X480.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	3683   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPipeToRtHandStorageCompartment_640X480.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	3684   Click image for larger version

Name:	CenterPipe Support_640X480.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	3685   Click image for larger version

Name:	NewPipe to LftHand Storage Compartment_640X480.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	3686   Click image for larger version

Name:	WebberBabyQue reg with QD installed_640X480.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	3688  

2014 Montana High Country 318
1999 Ford F250, 7.3L Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake,Trans Command,Trans Lock
Superchips CORTEX tuner
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Jeff --
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing this mod with us. You might want to compare notes with the Sticky about BBQ's and RV propane systems that was written by Bob Landry. (See Modifications and Upgrades and look for the sticky at the top)
Perhaps you've already had a chance to search this sticky out when you did some pre-reading of related posts.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Jeff_S

Thanks Festus,
Yes I read Bob's sticky on BBQ's and Propane. It was very well done with lots of info on the subject in general. My intent was to was to help folks install a BBQ QD on a specific model (or line of models). This Forum is super informative and even though I've owned eight RV's, I will be learning a lot from the members.

Jeff_S

2014 Montana High Country 318
1999 Ford F250, 7.3L Diesel
Banks Exhaust Brake,Trans Command,Trans Lock
Superchips CORTEX tuner
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #4
n4qpcham

I plumbed my grill QD using some of the parts from the RV Appliance Connection System I purchased from PropaneProducts.com, http://www.propaneproducts.com/catal...ystem-392.html. The brass T has one male ¼” male nipple and two ¼” female connections. I installed the male nipple into the red regulator with pipe dope(thread sealant). The left ¼” female connection of the T received the pigtail to the tank, while the right side has a laundry list of parts. They are connected using pipe dope in this order: brass T ¼” female=>¼” male nipple=> ¼” female-to-3/8” male adapter=> gas cutoff with 3/8” female connections=> 3/8”male-to ¼” female adapter=>, ¼” male-to-1/4” female 90 degree adapter=> ¼” male nipple=> Hansen HP ¼” QD. The 15-foot hose on the top of the tank has a male connection(red cap) like the top of a propane bottle, and can connect to almost any appliance that uses a propane bottle. This set-up will work from only one LP tank, the curb side(right) tank in this example. When the curb side tank runs dry, you will have to swap sides with the tanks if you want to power your grill or gas appliance. Jeff_S ‘ connection is more extensive, but it does allow you to power your grill from whatever tank is in use at the time, which is the setup I really prefer. I see another mod coming in the future!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lpconn1.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	4552   Click image for larger version

Name:	lptankconn1.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	4554  

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote