Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Retired_Jim

Where to place individual Jack stablizers

I have a 28 ft trailer with about a 24 inch height from ground to trailer frame. Existing mounted stablizers front and rear do not do the trick to prevent side to side movement. Just bought 4 individual jack stands with 14 to 17 inch reach with 8 inch bases. Will use a stack of 12 inch 2 x10 boards to allow the jacks to reach the frame. I have one 8 foot slide on the drivers side with access to the frame at both front and rear. The passenger side has a gas pipeline adjacent to the frame rail from front to almost middle (side Kitchen). While the frame rail is clear, I am concerned about the possibility of any jack slippage damaging the gas line. My guestions are, can I use the rear bumper which is the traditional 4 inch box for placing the rear jacks and placing the front jacks further forward ahead of where the gas line starts? Is the rear bumper as strong as using the frame rail just before it reaches the rear bumper? Just always trying to think safety and do not want to tear off my bumper rail. I am not trying to lift the trailer, just prevent the rocking and swaying movement. thanks.

2006 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Keystone Springdale 266RLSSR
Retired_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
DAF

As you expressed yourself, I don't think it is a good idea to use the square bumper to stabilize the rv. Manufacturers use very thin walls and notorious flimsy welding on those bumpers. I have never needed to add additional support after using the 4 factory jacks and wheel chocks. I have seen fellow campers using extra supports but they normally place the additional jacks on the frame just ahead and behind the axles. Are you already using wheel chocks on both sides? There are some ready made contraptions that promise to do the job for you, here is one: http://www.adventurerv.net/bal-lock-...ar-p-5289.html. Good luck!
DAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 AM   #3
MightyMike
Permanent User Ban

Try a Google search for trailer stabilizers. One of the more popular ones are JT strongarms. They mount on your existing stabilizers, but go across the trailer from top of one side to bottom of the other side. Haven't used them myself, but folks that have them swear by them.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
witekjm

Retired_jim,
We have the SteadyFast trailer stabilizer system. It is like the JR Strongarm system. Secure the bars front and back for added stability.

Installed it myself over a weekend. Instruction are very through and easy to understand. It works well for us.

We have the electric package on our Passport. Jacks are scissor-like and do not fully extend when campground pad is inclined from front-to-back, The stabilizing system provides 80% stability. On totally flat camp pads, stability is 100%.

We are impressed with their customer service. They gave us an extra stabilizer shoe when the packaged one had "bubbles" from the paint job and the owner is reachable by cellphone.

Website is: http://www.steadyfast.com. JW