Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
mowin

Dragged her home today...

Our new 38BHDS is home...Gettin her set up for our seasonal site. CG opens April 26th.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keystone 3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2671  
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
TAZ23

Nice looking trailer, enjoy it. Around here the CG's open around the first of may or whenever the ground thaws out so they can turn the water on. Last year we were there on April 21, but that aint going to happen this year. First we need to melt this snow then thaw the ground.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #3
mowin

Thats about the same time frame around here. Our CG offically opens May 1st, but weather permitting they will open up on April 26th.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:48 AM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Thats about the same time frame around here. Our CG offically opens May 1st, but weather permitting they will open up on April 26th.
Three and a half weeks from now, the ground should be nicely thawed out around here. The northern part of the state and the areas that are heavily forested might take a bit longer. I live at the southern edge of the Adirondack Park, and the ground is thawed a good 8" or more down already.

Great looking park model!

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Three and a half weeks from now, the ground should be nicely thawed out around here. The northern part of the state and the areas that are heavily forested might take a bit longer. I live at the southern edge of the Adirondack Park, and the ground is thawed a good 8" or more down already.

Great looking park model!
Thanks...I'm not as far north as you. I'm east of albany on the NY/MA line.
We camp at Alpine Lake CG in Wilton. I'm sure the frost will be out of the ground by opening day.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Trailsport07

Nice looking camper, lots of luck with it. Nothing like finally getting the new rig home, then you really get to look things over
Trailsport07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #7
ohiohideout

I have the same model camper 38BHDS but 2011 model. Looks identical from the outside and from the pics I've seen they only made a few minor changes inside. Just curious, any idea why the rear fold down steps end up so much higher than the front?

Also, just curious how well your camper levels? Mine has to have a slight lean forward because without it the rear exit door does not close properly and the bathroom door has to be 'forced' closed.

btw...I love this camper otherwise. We opened ours up last weekend and I already can't wait to go back this weekend. 2 successfully winterizations for a newbie feels good.

Did you get the model that comes with flat screen mounted plus an exterior bracket where you can the TV outside?
ohiohideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
lightning79

Very nice!
Old 04-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
mowin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiohideout View Post
I have the same model camper 38BHDS but 2011 model. Looks identical from the outside and from the pics I've seen they only made a few minor changes inside. Just curious, any idea why the rear fold down steps end up so much higher than the front?

Also, just curious how well your camper levels? Mine has to have a slight lean forward because without it the rear exit door does not close properly and the bathroom door has to be 'forced' closed.

btw...I love this camper otherwise. We opened ours up last weekend and I already can't wait to go back this weekend. 2 successfully winterizations for a newbie feels good.

Did you get the model that comes with flat screen mounted plus an exterior bracket where you can the TV outside?
Hard to tell from the pics, but the area where it sittin is far from level. Theres 3 2x6's under the slide side tires, and it needs another inch to be level side to side. I'm not running anything but lights rite now. Havnt dewinterized yet, mite do the that weekend before I take it to camp. It does have the flat screen and bracket on the exterior..Looking forward to sittin back and relaxin while watchin tv....

TT is level front to back, and no problems with any doors.

One Q for ya...Did you caulk the shower where the wall pannel and pan meet? Seems like a good spot for water to go where its not supposed to...
Old 04-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #10
ohiohideout

Quote:
Hard to tell from the pics, but the area where it sittin is far from level. Theres 3 2x6's under the slide side tires, and it needs another inch to be level side to side. I'm not running anything but lights rite now. Havnt dewinterized yet, mite do the that weekend before I take it to camp. It does have the flat screen and bracket on the exterior..Looking forward to sittin back and relaxin while watchin tv....

TT is level front to back, and no problems with any doors.

One Q for ya...Did you caulk the shower where the wall pannel and pan meet? Seems like a good spot for water to go where its not supposed to...
I'd be willing to beat the rear steps end up a solid 8-10" higher than the front steps. It's only an issue for me since my TT is stationary and I built a deck for it. I am expanding the deck towards the back and noticed this issue.

My TT is supported with cement blocks along the frame and I am wondering if they were not perfectly leveled when the unit was placed. I know that it leans forward very slightly now and when I crank the hitch lift up to level it, the rear exit door does not fully close.

I am very jealous about the new TV upgrade. My buddy has that and we used a few times last year.

Negative on the shower. We have never used the shower and dont plan to so I did not spend time looking at it too much. If it were up to me, I'd take it out and build storage there. I'll have to check it out this weekend tho just for grins.

Did you also get the countertop extension that folds up? We bought a rolling table about the same height but would rather have the extension.

BTW...the pull out sofa is decent but I don't see it lasting long. I have already started taking measurements to pull it out and replace it with something decent.
If you end up using the table area as bed, make absolutely sure that the table seats perfectly into the grooves of the seating area. If not, the table is just made from compressed wood and easily 'tears' at the corners if not pefectly seated.....ask me how I know.
Another thing (which might be my own issue) is the main breaker keeps popping when we have a space heater plugged in and use the Microwave. Being that you are up north you might experience this issue. I am connected to 50A service and it still happens.
Also, it would have been nice if the bunks in the front came with a ladder
Lastly, I did not get the upgraded BTU AC unit and wish I did. The stock unit works ok if you keep the doors closed all the time but with kids in and out all the time it can't keep and stay running all the time. To combat that I just bought a little $100 window AC unit from Target, along with yell at the kids all day
Last Last thing, make sure the hot water tank is filled with water before you hit the switch inside to turn on the electric. Otherwise you will fry the element and can only gas to heat the water. Again, ask me how I know.

....just my .02

After having it for 1-1/2 seasons every weekend, I've come to learn these things but still....for the price and everything else it offers I absolutely love this TT.

Here's mine:
Click image for larger version

Name:	hideout 1.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	2774
Old 04-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
mowin

Quote:
I'd be willing to beat the rear steps end up a solid 8-10" higher than the front steps. It's only an issue for me since my TT is stationary and I built a deck for it. I am expanding the deck towards the back and noticed this issue.

My TT is supported with cement blocks along the frame and I am wondering if they were not perfectly leveled when the unit was placed. I know that it leans forward very slightly now and when I crank the hitch lift up to level it, the rear exit door does not fully close.

I am very jealous about the new TV upgrade. My buddy has that and we used a few times last year.

Negative on the shower. We have never used the shower and dont plan to so I did not spend time looking at it too much. If it were up to me, I'd take it out and build storage there. I'll have to check it out this weekend tho just for grins.

Did you also get the countertop extension that folds up? We bought a rolling table about the same height but would rather have the extension.

BTW...the pull out sofa is decent but I don't see it lasting long. I have already started taking measurements to pull it out and replace it with something decent.
If you end up using the table area as bed, make absolutely sure that the table seats perfectly into the grooves of the seating area. If not, the table is just made from compressed wood and easily 'tears' at the corners if not pefectly seated.....ask me how I know.
Another thing (which might be my own issue) is the main breaker keeps popping when we have a space heater plugged in and use the Microwave. Being that you are up north you might experience this issue. I am connected to 50A service and it still happens.
Also, it would have been nice if the bunks in the front came with a ladder
Lastly, I did not get the upgraded BTU AC unit and wish I did. The stock unit works ok if you keep the doors closed all the time but with kids in and out all the time it can't keep and stay running all the time. To combat that I just bought a little $100 window AC unit from Target, along with yell at the kids all day
Last Last thing, make sure the hot water tank is filled with water before you hit the switch inside to turn on the electric. Otherwise you will fry the element and can only gas to heat the water. Again, ask me how I know.

....just my .02

After having it for 1-1/2 seasons every weekend, I've come to learn these things but still....for the price and everything else it offers I absolutely love this TT.

Here's mine:
Attachment 2774
The steps on the rear door are different then the front steps. The rear extend out farther and the front are steeper and end up closer to the ground. Dont know why they didnt use the same steps on both doors??

It sounds like your blocks have setteled some. If the rear of the tt is on blocks, and you crank the tounge jack, the rear may be twisting/flexing some
causing the door rear door to jam.. Try raising the rear stablizers before raising the front....

We are on a seasonal site, and use our shower all the time, so I'm going to caulk that area just to make sure. I havnt dewinterized yet, but I will make sure the HW is full before srarting. When we had our PDI, I was a little miffed they didnt have the TT fully operating. They said they didnt want to re winterize.

We do have the counter ext. I like it, but would rather have drawers there instead. We upgradded to the 15K AC, so im hoping that will handle the size of the tt. Our site is well shaded, so that should help...
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
ohiohideout

Quote:
The steps on the rear door are different then the front steps. The rear extend out farther and the front are steeper and end up closer to the ground. Dont know why they didnt use the same steps on both doors??

It sounds like your blocks have setteled some. If the rear of the tt is on blocks, and you crank the tounge jack, the rear may be twisting/flexing some
causing the door rear door to jam.. Try raising the rear stablizers before raising the front....

We are on a seasonal site, and use our shower all the time, so I'm going to caulk that area just to make sure. I havnt dewinterized yet, but I will make sure the HW is full before srarting. When we had our PDI, I was a little miffed they didnt have the TT fully operating. They said they didnt want to re winterize.

We do have the counter ext. I like it, but would rather have drawers there instead. We upgradded to the 15K AC, so im hoping that will handle the size of the tt. Our site is well shaded, so that should help...
Yeah, I can't figure out the whole front/rear step thing either?? Makes no sense to me at all.

My campground manager set the trailed when it was delivered from the dealer and it has been this way from the beginning. He claimed it was due to a) The site is very sandy and hard to maintain a level base b) the TT is very long and often has a tendency to 'flex'. The front slider and door to the bunk area is fine. I'll beat you are right tho that the blocks in the rear are causing a twist. Interesting note, my TT is not supported at the stabilizer locations rather it has blocks in several positions along the frame which makes it difficult to easily adjust....or takes more effort that I'm willing to put in considering the overall issue is not really an issue at all.

I was out of town when they did PDI so I'm not much help there. I would have to agree with you tho that I would think it should have been fully operational. On a side note, they went over the PDI with my SO and they might as well have not done it all. My first arrival was hilarious as every question I asked got the response: I don't know, they didn't talk about that.

I assume that the counter ext is off to the left of the sink (if you are facing the sliding doors. If that is the case, wouldn't permanent drawers there take up space and protrude toward the center of the TT?

Good call on the 15k BTU AC. You've obviously done this before. This is our first ever TT so I didn't know what I didn't know....
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
mowin

[QUOTE=ohiohideout;72910]Yeah, I can't figure out the whole front/rear step thing either?? Makes no sense to me at all.

My campground manager set the trailed when it was delivered from the dealer and it has been this way from the beginning. He claimed it was due to a) The site is very sandy and hard to maintain a level base b) the TT is very long and often has a tendency to 'flex'. The front slider and door to the bunk area is fine. I'll beat you are right tho that the blocks in the rear are causing a twist. Interesting note, my TT is not supported at the stabilizer locations rather it has blocks in several positions along the frame which makes it difficult to easily adjust....or takes more effort that I'm willing to put in considering the overall issue is not really an issue at all.

I was out of town when they did PDI so I'm not much help there. I would have to agree with you tho that I would think it should have been fully operational. On a side note, they went over the PDI with my SO and they might as well have not done it all. My first arrival was hilarious as every question I asked got the response: I don't know, they didn't talk about that.

I assume that the counter ext is off to the left of the sink (if you are facing the sliding doors. If that is the case, wouldn't permanent drawers there take up space and protrude toward the center of the TT?

Good call on the 15k BTU AC. You've obviously done this before. This is our first ever TT so I didn't know what I didn't know....[/QUOTE

We bought our first ever TT last yr used. We didnt want to buy new at that time because we didnt know if we would like the life style..Turns out we love it. The first TT floor plan didnt work for us, so we decided to buy new this yr.
I have read enough to know these longer TT's need two AC's or at least a 15K, so I worked that in the deal.
The counter ext when extended faces the slide side of the camper, so when folded down it would cover any drawers if there were any. Our old TT had three drawers there, and they came in handy. The old TT also had a drawer for pots and pans under the oven. New one has the furnace there so thats 4 less drawers the new one has... But the master is big, and my knees dont hit the door when in sittin on the throne
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
ohiohideout

[QUOTE=mowin;72953]
Quote:

Good call on the 15k BTU AC. You've obviously done this before. This is our first ever TT so I didn't know what I didn't know....[/QUOTE

We bought our first ever TT last yr used. We didnt want to buy new at that time because we didnt know if we would like the life style..Turns out we love it. The first TT floor plan didnt work for us, so we decided to buy new this yr.
I have read enough to know these longer TT's need two AC's or at least a 15K, so I worked that in the deal.
The counter ext when extended faces the slide side of the camper, so when folded down it would cover any drawers if there were any. Our old TT had three drawers there, and they came in handy. The old TT also had a drawer for pots and pans under the oven. New one has the furnace there so thats 4 less drawers the new one has... But the master is big, and my knees dont hit the door when in sittin on the throne
We got lucky. We dove in head first and bought a new one without ever even spending the night in a TT. Huge risk but paid off. That said, if I had known what I know today I would have done a few things differently...ie. 15k A/C.

We do not use the stove at all so we just store our pots and pans there The undersink storage would be nice if the shelving was arranged better. Maybe I should just be happy with what I have
Old 04-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #15
mowin

Ya the pots and pans will be going in the oven. Didnt use the oven at all last yr.

I also installed a ceiling fan in the master last week. On low it moves plenty of air. DW and I camped n our driveway last week, and even tho the heat was on, it kept the master a more consistent temp.

Another thing I'm scratching my head over, is where they put the water pump. Cant hardly see it, and I need to put a "T" with a shutoff to aid in winterizing.

Either that or buy another pump and install a "T" valve in water heater compartment...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Barry

Ive got the same camper in the 2011 model. I will also check out the shower deal when it gets delivered!
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Barry

OK, we had the final walk through of out camper last night. I looked at the seal where the shower wall meets the shower floor pan, it is not caulked. So, I asked about it. The floor pan actually goes up the wall about six inches on the back side of the wall. So the actual wall covers this up. So, in therory, the water would have to come down the inside shower wall, then under the wall, then back up the small wall of the floor pan, then back down to the actual floor. They told me that that has never been a problem area for leaks. BUT, he did mention that where the shower wall meets the glass walls, thats caulk joint has been a problem, and to keep an eye on that.

Hope this helps.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #18
mowin

Ya, I assumed there was some sort of lip there. I'll keep a eye on it for sure. Only takes a minnet to remove the access panel in front of the shower pan and peek in.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #19
Heather

Congratulations.... that is one sweet looking camper
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote