Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
kazuaki

Are slides "unsealed" when partially open?

We just purchased a 2013 Raptor 381. This is our first experience with slides (it has 3 of them). We have to partially extend the slides at home in order to be able to get at the fridge and load or unload for a trip. When the slides are only partially extended, will they leak if it rains? I'm guessing so.

That being said, if it is raining while you are camping (with slides out), what happens when you retract the slides to hit the road? Won't the slides bring a bunch of water into the coach with them?

Thanks for any advice...
kazuaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
GaryWT

I am interested in these answers as well. To date I have opened them all the way or left them closed. I my previous trailer I had a shallow slide which seemed to clear the water when being closed but the large slide do not seem to do this.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
fla-gypsy

My slide is only water tight fully extended or fully closed. I suspect all are similar as that is the intended use.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

When our RV is level and the slide fully extended, the slide roof slopes slightly away from the unit and any rain that falls onto the roof runs away. When partially extended, this same slope is not there and the rain more or less sits on the flat roof.

The rubber flap or flexible seal at the top of the slide should prevent any water from draining back into the unit but if there is an accumulation of water on the roof, it may not work as efficiently and allow some water to get under the flexible seal.

Since we have a slide topper, I can't see any leaking problems being caused by having the slides partially out for a short period of time.

When retracting the slides after a rain, the flexible seal should "sweep" away most of the water but it won't leave the top dry. It will be wet and this can be taken care of with a couple of towels used for that purpose. You'll probably need a step stool to get at the roof with a towel.

Retracting the slides should not bring in "a bunch of water" but there may be some spots on the slide roof that are a bit lower than others and where it will be a bit wetter.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
TAZ23

Festus2 pretty much covered it. the top sweeps (seals) on the the slide should take care of most of the water. I dont have a slide cover on mine and when bringing in a wet slide I only have some small beads of water left on it. The towel "trick" takes care of that and it is quick and easy to do. If you are walking in your trailer with the slides only partially open be carefull not to step on the floor of the slide out as they will not be flush with the floor and you could damage the floor by stepping on it.
TAZ23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #6
SlowPoke

I have found that by slightly elevating the front of the TT maybe a bubble or two before putting the slides in, will also help in the leftover "pools" of water to drain that settles on the low spots after rain. Then you can re-level off the TT and slide the slide(s) in and as the others have mentioned, towel off the moisture leftover. I use a chamois to soak up the drips on the crevices of the sides and the top just to be extra careful. ( I'm paranoid )

I was told as long as I do this practice of retracting and putting the slides out while mostly level, I would not over work the motors (electric) and not put the slides out of alignment. Just make sure to re-level as close a you can, before moving the slide(s).

With what they've said and I added, I have noticed when the slides are only partially out, the seals are not completely settled everytime, and could cause leaking into the TT, especially at the corners, as Festus2 said, my slide roofs angle slightly away once fully out to shed the water, not angled at all when only partial. I wouldn't trust it as a regular practice.....

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

On a sunny day, open your slides about half way and look for any sunlight infiltration. On every slide I've ever checked, you can see daylight at the corners and often in places along the sides and top of the slide where the seals are partly turned in or turned out. So, my take is: If you can see daylight, then water can seep in under the right conditions.

That being said, if I were going to open the slide for a few minutes to load, unload or access the refrigerator, etc. then I wouldn't worry about it. However, if I was thinking about opening the slide partially and leave it overnight while it was raining, I wouldn't do it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote