Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
psychlgal

2 gray water tanks and 1 valve?

Have a 2011 cougar 26brs Has two grey water tanks? The gauge shows tank one empty and tank two is full and water will not drain in kitchen sink. On the body off trailer has sticker for black tank valve and a sticker on grey water tank right next to each other. Both t handle valves are there and open. More towards the axle is a second sticker for a grey water tank valve, but no valve there??? Need help right a way if any one knows whats going on? THANKS
psychlgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
2011 keystone

I do not have a trailer with 2 grey tank but have read here that there should be a second grey tank valve near or behind trailer tires some have done mods to relocate this handle.
hope this helps.
And welcome to the group
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
SlowPoke

You may read something that applies in this thread below, it sounds as if maybe your second valve has come out, and is missing possibly??

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...09&postcount=2

Good luck, sorry I can't help more!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
therink

Look up high in front of left side wheel, front axle. My galley grey tank valve is there.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
davidjsimons

Can you not find the valve or the pull handle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
psychlgal

have black and grey water pull handles behind the wheels...using the last few months, no problems. Now grey tank 2 shows to be full but can't find grey tank valve/handle to empty that tank.
psychlgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #7
BUDMAN76

Keystone not much help?

TRYING TO HELP OUT PSYCHGAL AND CALLED KEYSTONE AND AFTER A BIG RUN A ROUND AND ASKING FOR THE GUYS BOSS. HE GOT ON THE PHONE AND TOLD ME THERE IS NO PULL LEVER FOR TANK 2. TANK 1 & 2 ARE HOOK TOGETHERE AND THE CABLE THAT CONTROLS BOTH TANKS MUST HAVE COME OFF TANK TWO OR THE VALVE IS STUCK CLOSED. KEYSTONE WOULD NOT SEND ME ANY KIND OF PHOTO OR DRAWING TO SHOW ME WHERE IS CABLE & VALVE IS? THEY TOLD ME I HAVE TO DROP THE WHOLE LOWER BELLY PAN FROM THE AXLES BACK AND LOOK FOR IT. JUST WHAT I WANT TO DO WHEN IT IS IN THE LOW 40'S AND IN A DIRT CAMPING GROUND ON MY BACK!
WILL LET EVERYONE KNOW WHERE IT IS, IF I EVER FIND IT???
BUDMAN76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
SteveC7010

My Cougar has a separate valve with handle for each of the three tanks. The gray tank for the kitchen is just above the front axle so the drain and valve are just forward of the wheels. In our case, there is no remote cable as the valve is only a few inches above the coroplast belly enclosure. But they do use a piece of threaded aluminum rod to extend the handle out where it can be reached.

I am wondering if the OP does have a setup like mine and the threaded rod has either unthreaded itself and fallen away or if it's broken off. Either way, there'd be a small hole in the coroplast where it should be.

This is a waste valve. As you can see, the handle is right next to valve. Using the aluminum extension, the handle can be as much as 12" further away from the valve.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

I am thinking that, in view of the year of the RV, that you just may have a "rod pull" and that the threaded rod has worked itself loose and fallen out. As suggested, look for an opening, cutout or flap in the underbelly coroplast. If you find one, get a flashlight and have a look-see in there to see if you can find the valve for the other gray tank.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
BUDMAN76

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec7010 View Post
my cougar has a separate valve with handle for each of the three tanks. The gray tank for the kitchen is just above the front axle so the drain and valve are just forward of the wheels. In our case, there is no remote cable as the valve is only a few inches above the coroplast belly enclosure. But they do use a piece of threaded aluminum rod to extend the handle out where it can be reached.

I am wondering if the op does have a setup like mine and the threaded rod has either unthreaded itself and fallen away or if it's broken off. Either way, there'd be a small hole in the coroplast where it should be.

This is a waste valve. As you can see, the handle is right next to valve. Using the aluminum extension, the handle can be as much as 12" further away from the valve.
are you talking on the lh side of trailer? I look there few times and seen notting? Will look one more time before i tear a part the under belly.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUDMAN76 View Post
are you talking on the lh side of trailer? I look there few times and seen notting? Will look one more time before i tear a part the under belly.
If you mean the street side (US) of the trailer, then yes, I am talking "on the lh side of trailer."

If that isn't clear, the valve should be on the same side of the trailer as the actual dump port, the other drain valves, and the water hookups.

I have a black valve and a gray valve near the front of the trailer, and then the second gray valve is just forward of the tandems on the same side.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

It may be located in a hole through the frame I beam, or just under it. Look closely under the RV along the frame rail and the outriggers. It's likely there somewhere. Before going to the extremes of cutting the coroplast and/or taking it down, I'd urge you to make certain that it's not there, possibly between the two tires, relatively well hidden from the novice eye, but never to be forgotten once you do find it.

From looking at the floorplan, it looks like the second gray tank drain valve "ought to be" tucked up under the aft section of the refrigerator slide, just under the floor, probably through the frame rail.

I wouldn't start disassembly until at least a couple of people who "should know where it is' have not been able to locate it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
BUDMAN76

Where is the valve to dump gret water tank 2?

Have belly pan half way off on lh side of camper and still can not find valve? Any one know good keystone dealer in tampa fl area?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

If you have the coroplast that far removed, you must be able to see the full tank. Look for the 1 1/2" pipe coming out of it and follow it to the T connector, There's a valve there somewhere. I'm still thinking it's through the trailer frame I beam somewhere just aft of the tires and under the refrigerator or close to that spot.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2013, 04:14 AM   #15
BUDMAN76

Finally found it!!!

Finally found the dump valve for grey water tank no.2
It was behind the LH rear tire about a foot in from the body. The drain pipe that goes to the rear of camper has foam around it from the factory where it goes thru the under belly panel. Chip a way all the foam and seen a bright chrome rod with no handle on it? Pull on that rod and the tank drained!

So KEYSTONE why did you not put a handle on this rod and then seal it with foam so no one can find it???
Plus you have to get on your back and reach up to pull the rod everytime you need to dump this tank. Very poor set up! This mit be my last Keystone camper!!!!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

So, it was about where I thought it would be. If I remember correctly, you bought that RV used, and it may well be that the previous owner had problems with insects or mice and sealed that area with foam for some reason. It's not typical for keystone to do that. As for the handle missing, the dealer should have fixed that as part of his PDI to you. They are plastic and easily unscrew or break. If I were trading in my RV and the handle broke, I wouldn't make a special effort to replace it either. I'd probalby tell the salesman about it if I remembered, but the old one wouldn't be my priority at trade-in time.

Don't be so quick to blame Keystone for a missing handle, there are plenty of big issues that Keystone should take the rap for, but this may not even be their design or problem.

Most RV's are typically set up for use with full hookups or to dry camp. If it is set up for hookups, normally, the trailer is parked on site, sewer hose, electric attached, gray tank drains pulled and black tank valve closed, then slides extended. Dry camping, it is parked, valves closed, slides opened to camp. Seldom are the gray valves even touched during camping, only the black tank valve and then, only once a week or even less. So the position of the gray tanks and their plumbing is more a concern with weight management during towing rather than convenience at the campsite. I'm glad you found it, now it's time to get that tank empty and start filling it again.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #17
Festus2
Site Team

Budman76 -
Glad to hear that you found the drain pull rod. It is quite possible that the handle came loose and had fallen off. On ours, the threaded handle did come loose one time when I went to pull on it. I was left with the handle in my hand and afterwards, applied some Locktite to the threads and it has been good ever since. On another occasion, the whole rod came out as it had worked itself loose. More Locktite - problem solved.

My point is that these rods and handles seem to be prone to working themselves loose on their own -- vibration or whatever. While one of them is a bit of a nuisance to get at, I can't really blame Keystone for the handle and rod coming loose.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
BUDMAN76

Keystone is the one who cover it up with foam! The same foam is in other places on camper. But it is fix and wife is happy!!!