Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
pjhauk

Anyone with a Sprinter 255RKS?

Looked at a Sprinter 255RKS over the weekend. Would like any information on this model. How is it to live with the kitchen island. Seems like it would be handy for serving, etc. but it does cut down on open space. How is this to tow? Really wanted to stay under 30 foot because I thought it would be easier to tow, am I correct? My TV is a GMC 2500 Duramax with Allison and tow package.
pjhauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:54 AM   #2
Shoey

I have a 2012 255RKS and love it. The kitchen island makes a great pantry as well as extra counter space. The rear kitchen is awesome and makes it very easy to hand dishes, food, etc out the door for outside dining and cooking. The only down side is it only sleeps two people (and a dog) comfortably. This is not a problem since we do not have kids. If you open the couch and use the air mattress, you need to be pretty thin to get into the bathroom. This would be one of the rare occasions that a "jack knife" couch would be better than the air mattress. I'm towing with a GMC 2500 6.0 gas engine with no problems. With your engine and trans, you'll be more than fine on the road. Like you, I like to stay under 30 ft, mainly because of the type or camgrounds we prefer. Very wooded, rural areas do not lend themselves to long campers very well.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
KJcachers

We looked at a Starcraft with this same floor plan and liked it a lot but it was a bit heavier than i wanted at the time.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
pjhauk

Thanks for the information. I had the same thought as you with the island and rear kitchen. With the island does it ever seem crowded? I will travel solo with two dogs one weighing 100 pounds.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
x96mnn

I have heard people say the longer the camper the easier it is to back up but the bigger the camper usually the more weight although you got a solid rig there for towing and should have no issues.

We bought the 266 about a month back because it had the outdoor kitchen and now I state I will never own a camper with out one but that's because we spend a ton of time outside. There was a 255 that we viewed as well and it was a very nice camper and if it had the outside kitchen we most likely would have taken it as I found the bedroom more private.
x96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
KanTC

pjhauk,

We don't own a 255RKS, but have towed a similar set-up to the one you're considering (29ft TT & our
Chevy Duramax) - it was a great combo. We used an Equalizer (brand) hitch & never had any problems.

That said - here's a previous thread about the Sprinter 255RKS which might also help:
http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5426

Keystone changed the front end cap for the 2nd-half of 2012 model year...
http://www.acefogdallrv.com/rv/cedar...printer+255rks

http://www.fifervcenter.com/rv/gig+h...printer+255rks
http://www.campingworldofburlington....printer/180131

PS, welcome to the forum and happy shopping.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
Shoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhauk View Post
Thanks for the information. I had the same thought as you with the island and rear kitchen. With the island does it ever seem crowded? I will travel solo with two dogs one weighing 100 pounds.
Our dog is 60 lbs and we have no problems. We do not travel with the bar stools to allow some extra floor space.
Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
pjhauk

Thanks for the great information. I think this may be my trailer!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #9
Beerfix

I realize I'm late on posting to this thread, but we have a 255RKS, and absolutely love it. The island is the best thing to ever happen to a travel trailer. I posted to another thread here:

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showpos...46&postcount=6

Detailing a few gripes, but overall we are very happy with the layout, and the quality of the product has been as expected.

The trailer tows nice. Even with the fresh water tank full and the TV loaded with dirtbikes and such, we tow over the pass easily with a 7.3 Powerstroke, piece of cake for your Chev.
Beerfix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, travel trailer