Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
gprone

Need Advice - Slideout Leak on New TT

We just returned from a trip to stormy Cape Hatters where our 10 month old Springdale started leaking on the larger of our two slideouts. This occurred on the first day of our weeklong trip during an early afternoon 2 hour severe thunderstorm.

I watched the situation closely on other days when it rained and found that the rain gutter above the slideout had a seam that had separated and water was pouring down the outside vertical wall of the slideout.

I have already called the dealer upon our return today and they are going to look into the problem.

I have inspected the slideout seal and noticed when I open and close the unit that the seal tends to wrap under itself.

My question is what should I require from the. dealer to make sure the leak is fixed? Clearly the rain gutter needs repaired. But shouldn't the seals on the slideout prevent water from entering the inside cabin no matter how much water is poring down the side?

Is there a test I can witness while the trailer is in repair to make sure the leak is fixed?

Also do I need to call Keystone or just work with the dealer?
Old 08-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Work with the dealer, he must coordinate the repair with Keystone to get paid, so they will be aware of the issues. If, however, you have problems with the dealer, then it might be appropriate to elevate the problem to Keystone Customer Service.

As for the weatherseal folding over, it should fold out when the slide is extended and fold in when the slide is retracted. There are additional bulb seals inside and outside (on the slide flange) that sit against flat surfaces on the trailer sidewall to help seal when it's in and when it's out.

I'm just guessing here, but the problem may have been causeed by a multiple set of issues. First, as you've noticed, the rain gutter allowed a leak to run down the sidewall of the trailer, dumping water on the slide seal. This is most likely the root of the problem. And, also, "if" your slide was not sitting level (ie: your trailer was slightly high on the slide side) the roof would have possibly allowed water to run "into" rather than "away from" the slide seal.

The slide roof is almost level, there's very little rise to keep water away from the trailer, so being slightly unlevel is often an issue. Many of us (me included) level our RV slightly high on the slide side so when the slide is extended, the RV sits "more level" if we "misjudge" slightly, and that side of the trailer remains slightly high, then it's possible for water to pool on the roof and run back toward the seal. Once water gets to the end of the seal, there's a small gap where it can enter the trailer if the seal doesn't completley "fold over" like it's supposed to.

I'd suggest that you let the dealer look at it, follow his recommendations (if they seem reasonable), get it repaired and keep your slide seals lubricated and make sure they fold over properly. Hopefully, that will be enough to resolve the problem, but keep an eye on it, you only have 2 months of warranty left

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
gprone

Thanks - I set the level of the trailer up before I extended the slides so that may have been part of the problem.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
chris199

May want to consider slide out covers. Certainly not waterproof but provides interference between roof, gutters, and top of slideout.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
KJcachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gprone View Post
Thanks - I set the level of the trailer up before I extended the slides so that may have been part of the problem.
That's the way you are suppose to do it. Perhaps the weight of the slide will cause the trailer to lean a hair towards the slide side thereby helping water to flow away from the seal, not towards it.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
gprone

OK.......so now things are getting interesting. I have had a service appt to get my Sprindale looked at by the dealer. Today I had to call the dealer to tell him I had to re-schedule.

I was told that they have had similiar complaints to mine with the same Model Year and they were waiting to hear back from Sprigdale on how to handle it. The recall word came up in our discussion.

My warranty expires in 2 weeks. The dealer assured me they have already filed the paperwork with Keystone.

Any recommendations on my next steps?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
KJcachers

Ask for a copy of that paperwork they filed for your warranty records.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM   #8
gprone

Well this is starting to be a BIG problem.

I called the dealer who sells many Springdale's to schedule my coach for repair. The Service Manager said a Springdale factory rep was there the day before checking their inventory as the dealer has found several new coaches with the same leak as mine.

The Service Manager went on to tell me they are waiting for Keystone to decide what they are goling to do. He also said the seals on the slide out in Model Year 2012 are a new design and might be defective.

Oh boy......now what? Should I be concerned about mold, interior damage, etc. I just found this on the web and am really getting concerned!!

http://keystone-rv.pissedconsumer.co...825341571.html
Old 10-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
fla-gypsy

I would call/email Keystone directly to get the issue on the record. Some dealers are unscrupulous and will tell you anything.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
rrohrer

my seals often don't set right when i have slideout out. they fold under. I usually now take a ladder with and fix it by hand. mine leaked once, but i think i was set unlevel with water running towards camper not away. i am more careful with leveling and no prob since. what should i lubricate the seals with? hope dealer helps you out!
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
haffcke

slide leak

had, a problem with my 2011- 246rbs slide leaking from the very beginning took it to dealer 3 times, last time after warrenty was out, but they honored it anyways, after that i ended up in a dry area with not enough hard rain to know whether it was fixed or not, so since then i have added a slide topper and have seen plenty of rain, no leaks, but i see the new seal they put on is starting to tear at the top, this time i'll fix it myself, mine was not pulling the seal out also but i added a strip of 2inch wide step tred to each side and that cured that problem. by the way i had traded in a much higher priced unit that was 10yr old and i didn't notice until trade time that all around the main slide the wood was rotten due to leakage, no slide topper on that unit.
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
KJcachers

Yeah, I guess a slide topper is probably going on my to do list for next spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #13
Roller4Tan

I had the slide toppers put on before picking up the trailer. I also notice there is another drip edge above all the slides, similar to the one on the roof edge.
Roller4Tan is offline   Reply With Quote