Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Criptix

Winterizing with the Fresh water tank

Hello

I have a Keystone 2012 Springdale 179QB. Nice little unit and pulls nicely behind my 2012 Toyota Tacoma.

I have winterized it using a bypass at the pump. It worked very well.

My father-in-law just pours his antifreeze into the fresh water tank and runs it through the lines that way.

Is there any issue with doing it this way? Will you taste antifreeze in the spring?
Criptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

It uses a little more antifreeze that way and needs extra flushing of the tank in the spring or you will get some taste but mostly a little foaming at the faucets. It works either way. JM2¢, Hank ...... BTW ... Welcome to the forum.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Criptix

Thanks

I figured it wasn't a big deal, just thought I would check.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Criptix,

You're in Canada so it's going to get pretty cold and your RV is subject to potentially freezing temps that are below the freeze rating of the RV antifreeze if it is mixed (diluted) with water. If you're going to pour the antifreeze into the fresh water tank and then run it through your lines, I'd suggest you make absolutely sure your water tank is completely empty before you start. If you have a couple of gallons of water in the tank, it will mix with the 4 or 5 gallons of antifreeze and significantly raise your freezing temp (reduce your freeze protection) and potentially allow your pipes/water pump/plumbing fixtures to freeze and crack. Just emptying the tank may not be enough to clear all the residual water from the tank. Being just an inch off level may well tilt the fresh water tank enough to not drain several gallons of water. If it were me and I was going to pour antifreeze into the tank. I'd run the tongue up high, drain the tank, then run the tongue down low, to let water flow from the back of the tank, then also jack up each side to make sure all the water got to the water tank drain. Only then would I know (or pretty well be assured) that all the water was drained and the antifreeze wouldn't be diluted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH -
Yikes! I never realized that it got THAT cold in Canada in winter - at least not here on the "balmy" BC west coast where the winter temperatures are probably warmer than in Michigan.
Sorry, JRTJH. As Hankpage says, "The devil made me do it".
Old 09-21-2012, 03:54 AM   #6
Murray0512

Either way t
You winter ready your unit you will taste the antifreeze if you do not get a good flush come spring . I have done it both ways, no problems . I drain lines the run one at time till all pink is gone
Murray0512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
JRTJH -
Yikes! I never realized that it got THAT cold in Canada in winter - at least not here on the "balmy" BC west coast where the winter temperatures are probably warmer than in Michigan.
Sorry, JRTJH. As Hankpage says, "The devil made me do it".
Festus, I think (speaking from memory here) that the 50% dilution of RV antifreeze only protects to 20*F, I'd guess even in your "blamy BC West Coast it gets that cold... and Yes, we see sub zero temps here from mid January through the end of Feburary most years. Last year, without the snow, it really played havoc on some people's septic fields and well water lines. We were lucky not to have had those issues.

As for the devil making you do things.... Look in the mirror, my friend.... methinks you just might see the devil in your eyes ROFLMAO

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Criptix

While working up north of Fort St. John I once observed -48° C without windchill. (That's -54.4° F)

I didn't dare turn my truck off for fear of it freezing up lol.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Now that is some serious BRRRRRRRRRR So far the lowest I've seen here is -31. Of course, if you're outside, at those temps, I don't think it matters much whether its 20* colder or not.... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-22-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
jsmith948

Wow, I guess that means our record low of +19 doesn't count?

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
gepaine

I use the fresh water tank and pump to distribute antifreeze throughout the water system (after blowing out the lines) when I winterize. I do not need to do any extra flushing in the spring, and I don't taste the antifreeze nor do I get foaming.

JRTJH: You make a very good point about possibly diluting the antifreeze if the tank isn't completely empty. I store my TT about 8 miles from home, and I bring it home to winterize it. This year I will open the fresh water drain valve before towing it home. With all the hills and turns getting home, I can be sure that the tank is empty (or virtually empty).

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote