Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
DennisT

Double ceiling light lens removal question...

I guess I have a fear of breaking things on our, "new used," RL266. One of the double ceiling lights has a bulb out and RnR forgot to replace it. So I'm looking at the white trimmed, double light with single black rocker switch in the center base separater. Oval shaped light, (not squared ends). About 12 or 14 inches long.

I'm trying to figure out how to get one of the lens's off. (sp? - ha) I see two little slots on each side where the clear plastic meets the white base, but if that's a screwdriver blade release, it's pretty snug. But I've been gentle.

I know this is a poor description, but if Keystone used the same ceiling lights for a lot of trailers, then maybe some of you can give me a tip of removal. Ours is a 2009 model.

Feels like a dumb question, but these things look flimsey.

Dennis
DennisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Dennis,

The lens should slide AWAY from the center switch about 3/8" to 1/2" and then drop down and away from the fixture. ie: the lens slides to the end of the fixture and then it should drop down.

Hope this helps..

John

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
DennisT

ceiling light

Thank you, JR. I would never have thought about it sliding off. So you saved me hacking up a lens.

I just pulled the lamp; wedge base but no visible number. Do you know if there is a standard wattage/number etc., so I can look for more?

For the moment, I may not need one because not seeing a break in the filament I checked it with an ohm meter and it's good. So I have a bad socket or weak contacts. I'm going to tension the spring contacts and also try a similar bulb to see if that works.

But I'm on the right track.

Dennis
Old 09-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisT View Post
Thank you, JR. I would never have thought about it sliding off. So you saved me hacking up a lens.

I just pulled the lamp; wedge base but no visible number. Do you know if there is a standard wattage/number etc., so I can look for more?

For the moment, I may not need one because not seeing a break in the filament I checked it with an ohm meter and it's good. So I have a bad socket or weak contacts. I'm going to tension the spring contacts and also try a similar bulb to see if that works.

But I'm on the right track.

Dennis
The bulb is a 921. It is the industry standard for a wide variety of RV light fixtures.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Lone Ranger

Amber light lends removal

How do you remove the outside light lends so u can change the bulb
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
How do you remove the outside light lends so u can change the bulb
If you are talking about the oval shaped porch light the lens is pried out using a small screw driver. If you are refering to the side markers they just pull off.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #7
DennisT

lamps

Terry's comments on lens removals sounds right. The only thing I would add is that I consider most of these lights cheaply made and I always expect to break something, especially fragile locking tabs. I haven't so far; I'm surprised. However I am going to buy a couple replacement lights with bases to keep in my spares box. Apparently a lot of these are made by Bargman, (I think that's right), and cheap to buy. One entire tail light assembly for my 266RL is under $12, including tax. Clearance lights are cheaper yet, so I'll have a couple extra.

Dennis
Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #8
Bushman512000

inside bulbs

The bulbs used in trailers can also be had in different watts by getting low voltage yard light replacement bulbs they are also 12 volt and if You want they come in different colours ...You have a wide range now to pick from...LOL enjoy Your self Bushman
Bushman512000 is offline   Reply With Quote