Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #1
Controller23

Can I ask my dealer to install a WDH?

I’ve purchased myself already, and could competently install it I’m sure. I’m wondering if it would be inappropriate to request the dealership throw in hitch installation. I guess if it is less I have to do, only verifying it is correct, then I’m all for them doing it and not me
Controller23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
ADQ K9

Wouldn't hurt to ask as I see it, if the hitch is within ratings required. They might charge labor but I don't see it taking more than an hour with professionals. So if they want to charge more than an hours labor I would call them on it.
We installed ours on the dock where we picked up the trailer during out PDI. I don't remember how long it took but it was less than 2 hours. I guess it all comes down to how valuable is your time is.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 01:18 PM   #3
travelin texans

To me it would depend on whose doing it. Is it the new guy & this is the 1st one he's done? Nope I'd do myself! Is it a tech that's done several & knows what he's doing? Yes, if I could watch for future reference.
To me if you bought there it should part of the deal to insure you are towing safely before leaving their lot.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #4
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADQ K9 View Post
... They might charge labor but I don't see it taking more than an hour with professionals. So if they want to charge more than an hours labor I would call them on it. ...
You nailed it! Our dealer indicated one hour labor would be charged to install a WDH (e2 or Equalizer) hitch.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #5
wobly

I have set up our WDH plenty of times and made any adjustments. When we bought our new trailer, I asked if they would set it up and they said "Of course!...for $200". I said no thanks and set it up after we did the PDI right there on their lot.
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:57 AM   #6
busterbrown

Our selling dealer was happy to install and setup our first Blue Ox WDH when I took delivery of the trailer for free. They don't charge for basic installation of WDHs. It took them about 30 minutes tops. I didn't expect them to dial in the settings but they did an okay job to get me home. I made adjustments on my own later.

Depending on the hitch brand, I would assume that most traditional WDHs would be installed at time of delivery, especially if the customer hasn't used one before.

As far as a surcharge, I'd be reluctant to pay for it as for me, adding a WDH to a travel trailer is like "prepping" the new car purchase prior to delivery. The typical friction based hitch may have 4 screws for frame brackets (many do not) or sway mount and that's all. The hitch head itself is a complete unit that wouldn't require assembly. Secure the ball on the hitch head (with proper torque) and place in the receive head on the correct height. An experienced dealer tech should be expeditious in the process.

Specialty hitches like Hensley's and Proprides are a completely different story. I wouldn't want the dealer touching these hitches. YMMV.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 03:27 AM   #7
Hankster

I would set it up myself, chances are they're going to get the new guy to do it and you'll have to re do the install when you get home anyways. When he did ours he had a battery powered impact driver and didn't install the washers in the correct places There was no torque wrench involved, just 4 or 5 ugga duggas with the impact driver. To say the least I was unimpressed.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Setting it up empty will be different than setting it up ready to go camping. I'd just do it myself, as you're going to have to any way. JM2C

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
travelin texans

Do it yourself & spend the $$ on a surge protector/ems & an adjustable water pressure " regulator". The 1st is mandatory in my opinion, the 2nd is a much better option than the el cheapo restrictor the dealer may have given you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote