Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #21
BlakeRL

Hi sourdough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
In the first pic I see, what maybe, is a wdh turned backwards laying under the rear of the van. As one that always had to dig for the "root cause" of any and all failures, the lost tire is definitely not it. Between the lift, truck/trailer combo choice and others made by the driver, I figure the lost wheel was the end result of previous decisions made by the driver.
It does look like the round weight distribution bars swung in reverse under (over being upside down) the bumper.

A lift kit if that is the case being installed likely a factor indeed.

I have no knowledge or skills on these things though so defer to your judgement on it!

The van is a 1 ton Ford E350 Econoline though so should be rated to handle the trailer tow/weight load I would have thought. Again I defer to your knowledge, skills and experience though.

The injuries were fortunately not life threatening according to the article which is fortunate for those involved!

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
BlakeRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:32 AM   #22
notanlines

I suspect that the van did NOT have a lift kit. We all know how high late model trucks are being built from the ground. Clearances are beyond reasonable. Obviously none of us will ever actually know, but it makes for great conversation. But something Danny said also is worthy of comment. I also suspect the wheel loss was as a result of the accident. We have owned a number of F350's and E350s over the years and the wheels are held on with eight large lug bolts. I don't see a wheel coming off by any of the usual means. The vibration from loose lug nuts would just be too great and the driver wasn't loaded anywhere near max payload. Towing alot yes, but hauling a lot, no.
This has been a good thread with great pictures to follow. Thanks to those who posted.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #23
Ken / Claudia

Here's what I see in wheels coming off pickups/vans/ SUVs. Some are just the tire/wheel due to loose/ broken/ missing lug nuts. When looking at the wheel you will see the lug nut holes bored out.
The other type is a tire/wheel is still attached to the axle. I understand that is due to the wheel bearing failure. I think the last is only on non floating axles. Both of those will happen as the vehicle is moving.
I did not see the wheel that is missing to see if the axle is or not on it.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #24
Tonkatoy77

Identify this truck...

This person is a member on here.

Click on this link to see a before picture.

Let's See Your Tow Vehicle, Trailer or Rig
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t
Tonkatoy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #25
Steveo57

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
I hope you paid a visit to the installer and explained to them what happened. I don't believe a 6 or 8 lug wheel can lose all the nuts by sheer vibrational coincidence. I think it's good practice to check the lugs on both tow vehicle and trailer prior to any trip. This is why I keep a torque wrench in my truck. Five minutes for one less worry.
Oh it happens. I had a small utility trailer that I had just put a brand new wheel on and within 1/4 mile of my house it had spun all the lugnuts off. Also had a car in front of me one day that I watched as the lugnuts were spit out and the wheel went flying down the highway.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #26
66joej

There was a time when Chrysler had right hand threads on one side of the vehicle and left hand on the other. I think their theory was lug nuts would stay on rather than unscrew. Can't remember how many years they had this feature. Was a pain to try and remember what side turned which way when lug nuts were seized on the studs. I might be dating myself here.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:36 AM   #27
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
There was a time when Chrysler had right threads on one side of the vehicle and left hand on the other. I think their theory was lug nuts would stay on rather than unscrew. Can't remember how many years they had this feature. I might be dating myself here.
I remember them so you must be "older than dirt' as my grandkids say

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #28
66joej

Chuck there is a proverb "The truth comes from the mouths of babes".

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #29
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonkatoy77 View Post
This person is a member on here.

Click on this link to see a before picture.

Let's See Your Tow Vehicle, Trailer or Rig
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...1&share_type=t
Small world! They were active just 2 weeks ago on the forum. Maybe they'll give some insight on how the accident happened. Sure hope they found their little dog.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #30
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66joej View Post
There was a time when Chrysler had right hand threads on one side of the vehicle and left hand on the other. I think their theory was lug nuts would stay on rather than unscrew. Can't remember how many years they had this feature. Was a pain to try and remember what side turned which way when lug nuts were seized on the studs. I might be dating myself here.
Yeah had this set up on my 1st car...'63 Plymouth, not sure when they stopped doing this but the '82 van did not have the left handed threads.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote