Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
Irish Mist

Water drains freezing up

Fortunately so far the fall has been very kind with only the occasional freeze at night. We are heading south very soon and have been living aboard using bottled water . I am thinking about putting some water in the tank to make life simpler as the fifth wheel is supposed to be good to zero.. Which we will not get anywhere near. I am aware from reading other posts that zero is only if all things are perfect and you are blowing 80 degree heat into the belly of the beast.. My question is under the rig there are 3 drains hanging down in the wind at 50 miles an hour in perhaps 30 degree temperatures.. With the wind chill .. Lots colder..
Do others travel with water in the system at freezing temperatures? .. If yes do those parts make out ok being plastic . Or and probably the correct answer Just drain the water before traveling.. I was thinking it would be nice having water while on the road... But not if it involves pipe repair..
Sorry for the long post
Thank you
Mark
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #2
Desert185

Re: Water drains freezing up

Wind chill only affects living tissue. Your drains will not be affected by wind chill, only ambient temperature. Now, if you can accelerate to ~600 mph, there will be a slight warming effect due to ram rise.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 AM   #3
mosquitoman

I realize I'm splitting hairs but wind chill affects things that are trying to stay warmer than the current temperature. Examples are as stated above skin and another example is the radiator in your vehicle, (if you didn't have a thermostat controlling the temperature of your engine you wouldn't get any heat in the winter) because the wind is very efficient at removing the heat your engine creates. Just my two cents for the day.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Post #2 is correct about wind chill factor.
I travel and camp in cold temps. This month from 11-18 thru 11-26 in night temps teens and 20s. Leave heat on during time your away from the rv. Open cabinet doors.
My opinion on travel with water in tanks. Remember it is moving around in the tank. Likely not to freeze until real cold for along time. The valves can and do freeze. I have a portable propane heater that placed in some areas will unfreeze stuff. Also a propane torch it has been used on the screw down jacks to unfreeze those.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #5
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitoman View Post
I realize I'm splitting hairs but wind chill affects things that are trying to stay warmer than the current temperature. Examples are as stated above skin and another example is the radiator in your vehicle, (if you didn't have a thermostat controlling the temperature of your engine you wouldn't get any heat in the winter) because the wind is very efficient at removing the heat your engine creates. Just my two cents for the day.
Wind chill has the effect of chilling living tissue as if it were exposed to a temp cooler than ambient. For an inanimate object, the cooling process is accelerated, but not lower than ambient temp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Irish Mist

So it sounds like as long as I don't have my hand beside the water drains while driving all is good
Thanks everyone
Irish Mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 AM   #7
mosquitoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Wind chill has the effect of chilling living tissue as if it were exposed to a temp cooler than ambient. For an inanimate object, the cooling process is accelerated, but not lower than ambient temp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer
I wasn't saying that wind chill could lower temp cooler than ambient temp, I was just saying it affects more than just "living" tissue.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Interesting information. Bottom line: cold affects everything! Right to the bone. Spring hurry up!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, water