Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2016, 04:23 AM   #1
Campy

5th wheel "flow through" tailgates,... worth keeping?

I purchased a used TV, 2008 Silverado duramax seen below and it came with a 5th wheel louvered tailgate. I used it a few times but now I'm finding myself using the truck more with the stock tailgate and a bed cover to hide my stuff, the truck also came with the bed cover. I now have an aux fuel tank in the bed as well as a toolbox and my generator/inverter plus my hitch. It's nice to keep all that stuff under wraps. My question is, should I hang on to that louvered tailgate or sell it on? I even had it custom painted to match the truck (white) instead of the stock black color.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #2
bsmith0404

If you do a search you will find a previous discussion about this as well. Several people gave different opinions, but it basically all comes down to convenience being the only real advantage. There is a lot of debate out there about if trucks get better fuel mileage with or without the louvered tailgates. Some will swear they help, others say the trucks get better fuel mileage with the stock tailgate in place due to laws of aerodynamics. When I was transporting, some companies required the removal of stock tailgates others recommended it during winter months. They stated that the stock tailgate caused airflow under the nose of the 5er to lift it taking weight off of the rear tires of the TV.

There are a lot of opinions, but not much for real evidence as to any real benefit other than convenience. If the security of the stock tailgate is more important to you, then you've answered your own question. I would add a locking tailgate just for a little extra security, even though a bed cover is easy to get through. I like the locking tailgate for safety, it keeps it from accidentally dropping while towing, potentially causing damage to your RV (I've had that happen, but luckily no damage)

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #3
Desert185

I have a Trifecta bed cover with the stock tailgate. I have never experienced a situation when I might need the "benefits" of a louvered tailgate. Dodge recommends leaving the tailgate up for optimum aerodynamics and I feel having the Trifecta aids the aerodynamics and provides some degree of security in keeping things out of sight and temptation.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #4
Pull Toy

I like mine for the convenience, but to each his/her own.

Whatever's back there, keep it locked . There's a major black-market for stolen tailgates!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
Richard Noble

Over two years ago there was a TV program on this - I think it was "Myth Busters" or some such. They proved that using the stock tailgate provided the better gas mileage. They used a smoke machine to demonstrate the air flow and you could see it was much better with the stock tailgate. It has to do with breaking up the vacuum that the cab creates.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM   #6
first time 5er

I wonder if that still applies with the fifth wheel vs empty

Barb & Kev & Missie (lab mix rescue dog)
2017 F350 DRW 6.7 4X4 24K Anderson ultimate
2009 Cougar 320SRX 1995 Custom Fatboy
first time 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #7
CaptnJohn

I have an F350 diesel ~~ fuel mileage never enters my mind. I bought the Husky aluminum 5er tailgate. It has a lock but not sure how much it would hold. I can hook up with the tailgate up and see ~~ no one needs to be behind the truck and I don't need to get out a time or two.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

My fiver tailgate was a $25.00 yard sale find. A day of sanding and a couple of cans of paint later, it works great!! I like it because I don't have to open it to hook up.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
darrylwt

I like my stock tailgate because I have a power bed-locker on it so when I drop off the 5th Wheel I can leave my generator and jack and stuff in the bed and close the cover and lock the tailgate and feel safe when I go places and park. Plus when I am traveling and it rains I can cover the bed up to the hitch and keep stuff somewhat dry. Plus mine has the backup camera in the tailgate but I know you can move the camera to the other tailgates.
with 5" exhaust system
2015 Keystone Montana HC 305RL
650 Watt Solar panels, 4 6volt T-105
Go power 3000 inverter.
darrylwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #10
Cbrez

The factory tailgate locks and gives me some added measure of security with the solid trifold taunnu. Also holds the backup camera, which is awesome quality. Although the air gates intrigue me, I've not come up with any advantages to the factory set up.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #11
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
The factory tailgate locks and gives me some added measure of security with the solid trifold taunnu. Also holds the backup camera, which is awesome quality. Although the air gates intrigue me, I've not come up with any advantages to the factory set up.
My after market tailgate locks and a 20 minute $45 project completes the camera question.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
Barbell

On our old truck, ('01 Dodge), I had a louvered drop center tailgate from CW that I used with the fiver. When we got the new truck, I liked the locking tailgate and camera in it, so don't use the other tailgate anymore. I also have the original tailgate in new condition that fit the old truck. Both are for sale if anyone needs such stuff.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #13
Cbrez

CaptnJohn, Did you go aftermarket because the factory tailgate was damaged or was there some feature of the aftermarket gate that you wanted?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbrez View Post
CaptnJohn, Did you go aftermarket because the factory tailgate was damaged or was there some feature of the aftermarket gate that you wanted?
The factory tailgate was put in storage in the box the Husky was shipped in. Brand spanking new ~ not a mark or even dust. The 5er tailgate was installed the day after the new truck was brought home. I like the aftermarket tailgate as I do not need to drop it when hooking or unhooking. I can easily see the pin coming to the saddle or leaving it. On my F250 it reduced the weight as I was close to payload as well. The husky is aluminum, not composite, and therefore more expensive but well worth it to me. It locks too.
I like the camera but is only of use when not pulling the 5er. The only thing I wish was there was a way to install a switch to shut off the damned backup beeper when towing without going through the DIC. The beeper is great when not towing but a major annoyance when the 5er is hooked. I hear tailgates are being stolen, much bigger market for an expensive ($1500 & up) factory job than a $300 - $550 aftermarket. One more thing ~~ I just like the look of it as it is different than most.
What is not to like? Someone could reach in and steal the ratty 4 pieces of 2X8 kept to the rear of the bed. Anything else and they need to break the lock just as on a more expensive factory gate.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 08-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #15
Cbrez

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
The factory tailgate was put in storage in the box the Husky was shipped in. Brand spanking new ~ not a mark or even dust. The 5er tailgate was installed the day after the new truck was brought home. I like the aftermarket tailgate as I do not need to drop it when hooking or unhooking. I can easily see the pin coming to the saddle or leaving it. On my F250 it reduced the weight as I was close to payload as well. The husky is aluminum, not composite, and therefore more expensive but well worth it to me. It locks too.
I like the camera but is only of use when not pulling the 5er. The only thing I wish was there was a way to install a switch to shut off the damned backup beeper when towing without going through the DIC. The beeper is great when not towing but a major annoyance when the 5er is hooked. I hear tailgates are being stolen, much bigger market for an expensive ($1500 & up) factory job than a $300 - $550 aftermarket. One more thing ~~ I just like the look of it as it is different than most.
What is not to like? Someone could reach in and steal the ratty 4 pieces of 2X8 kept to the rear of the bed. Anything else and they need to break the lock just as on a more expensive factory gate.
My camera is worthless when the 5er is hooked up, so no difference there. Weight is a significant factor always and I had not realized it eliminates the need to drop the tailgate when docking. Thanks for your insights. I'm not ready to ditch the factory tailgate, but appreciate the benefits you've described that I had not considered.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:22 AM   #16
On The Road Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
My after market tailgate locks and a 20 minute $45 project completes the camera question.
CaptnJohn,
I too have the Husky as a replacement tailgate on a 2013 F350.
The Husky Liners Back-up Camera Mount currently sells for $95.93 on Amazon.
Do you mind sharing your $45 camera mount solution?
Thanks,
Keith

2015 Fuzion 331
2013 Ford F350 6.7L
2012 Harley-Davidson Heritage Softail Classic 103CI
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200 Low (Wife's)
2016 Harley-Davidson Freewheeler (Wife's)
2015 Polaris Ranger 570 EPS Bronze Mist
On The Road Again is offline   Reply With Quote