Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
Papabear7

What Are Conditions in Yellowstone in Late May

Hello fellow travelers,
We are due into the Teton/Yellowstone area the week prior to Memorial Day this year. I've researched the NPS pages for weather, looked at highs/lows, and seems I read somewhere that generally-speaking, the valley's are typically melted of snow, that trails & some of the north-side mountain roads could be snow-covered, even still closed.

Obviously, no one can predict exact, but I'm looking for typical or best guess ... someone/anyone who has been there at least once, if not lives near there, who can tell me a little more about what to expect in that 3rd/4th week of May. Has this been a mild winter in NW Wyoming as it has been here? Campsites likely snow-covered? I have a 4WD 1/2 ton pulling an ultralight--is it likely we will encounter chain-required stretches? if so, I've read up on chain ordeal--we'd probably turn south if tough going in late May.

Our campsite reservationist of course said be prepared for anything, and we will. I've searched 'Yellowstone' here and didn't find much for the pre-summer conditions ... any intel would be greatly appreciated. We're really hoping for this to work out--like to see both GT & Yellowstone ahead of the major crowds, AND catch the beauty of snow in the peaks. I'm just also hoping we hit the sweet spot of mobility around the loop and a good life at the campsites.
Papabear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
hankaye

Papabear7, Howdy;

I visited the area in mid June of 2014. Experienced, freezing rain, temps at
night into the low 30's high 20's daytime temps were high 40's to low 60's.
I was along the Madison River between the lakes just west of West Yellowstone.
Several of my friends day tripped into the Park and as long as they kept moving
they stayed warm ... Take a 4 season wardrobe with you. After all it may be in
the 70's and 80's while you are there, no rhyme nor reason ... just is.

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
msubobcats

You can do the old coin toss at the 50 yard line.
There is no way to know. I lived in Livingston, the north entrance so to speak, from 70 until 82 and the first year there on June 12th I woke up to 1 foot of snow. There has been heavy snow on the 4th on July. So you never know.
We have family in the Townsend area and so far it has not been a bad winter.
Here's hoping and praying you have good weather. Wish I had a better rediction for you.
You will love it there.
8.1 / Allison / Long bed / Crew Cab
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
GOOOOO MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY BOBCATS
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #4
Dhuhn

Like others have said weather could be nice could be bad,be prepare for any type of weather. As far as any concession open it the parks it will be very limited, until around Memorial Day. If you can go just after Memorial Day first two weeks of June shouldn't be crowded. Things really start going around mid June thru Labor Day. I know this because I lived in Jackson for 24yrs and worked for a bread delivery company and that's when things got busy for us.
Either way both parks are great and you should have a great time no matter when you go.

2016 Montana 3720RL
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duromax :

previous
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duromax
2010 Palimino Bronco
2005 Chevy Silverado CC 1500
Dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Papabear7

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the perspectives. We've been to many parks out west, but it's always been August or Sept at elevations like GTNP and YNP. I've always wanted to catch the fringe of spring-to-summer for pictures & the steam-rising features; this is sounding a little more like winter-to-spring ... we're going to stick with it, if it's too rough, we'll just turn south toward red-rock country. I'm really stoked, hoping for great photography.
Papabear7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Bob Landry

It's a crap shoot. I was in Jackson Hole about 6 years ago for the opening day of the parks, which was May 1. On opening day, the only things that were accessible and not under a few feet of snow were the main roads through the parks and one turnout in Grand Teton.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
NJDiverDan

We usually go into the park for Mother's Day. We have had great weather the last 3 years that we have done this and will be doing it again this year. We are camping in West Yellowstone. Most of the roads should be clear but, also the south entrance and roads are typically the last to open. The Yellowstone website will have information on any road closures.

We love the park in both the early spring and late fall. Not crowded and animals seem to be more active than in the summer.
NJDiverDan is offline   Reply With Quote