Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #21
tank45

I have two batteries in tandem. Coming from them is a single conductor that enters the trailer (positive). That is where I put my cutoff switch. The batteries (hooked together) will not discharge one another when the switch is turned to the off position; I've turned it to the off position for as long as a month and checked voltage at the end of the month - it was the same as when I put the trailer to bed. Without the cutoff switch... my batteries went flat in a week.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:21 AM   #22
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
Interested to know why you would use two disconnects? Is it because if both batteries are still connected together they will run each other down as they discharge?
You can just use a switch that does A, B, A+B, and off. I referenced one of the best just a couple of posts ago. And yes, it's possible, though unlikely, for one battery to pull the other down over time if they are left connected to each other. That would only happen if one of the batteries was much weaker than the other. It also gives the ability to run on one battery and remove the other safely. So, if using the switches mentioned much earlier that fasten direct on the battery posts, you'd want a switch for each battery.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:23 AM   #23
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank45 View Post
I have two batteries in tandem. Coming from them is a single conductor that enters the trailer (positive). That is where I put my cutoff switch. The batteries (hooked together) will not discharge one another when the switch is turned to the off position; I've turned it to the off position for as long as a month and checked voltage at the end of the month - it was the same as when I put the trailer to bed. Without the cutoff switch... my batteries went flat in a week.
Exactly how it works for me. Kill the one wire leading into the trailer and there is nothing else drawing down the batteries except for them sitting and going a little flat over a period of months. Not sure if I was missing something else that would drain down the batteries if both were not disconnected.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Pmedic4

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post

As a comparison to yours, my cutoff switch removes power from the main lighting, refrigerator, water pump, water heater, converter and TV amplifier, but power remains on the slides, landing gear, awning, front docking light (all of which are on the remote) and also the CO and Propane monitors. The only "switchable light" that operates in the "off" position is the light under the front overhang.

Your comment about some items working one time and not the other is a "puzzle" for sure. I wonder if the cutoff switch may have "stuck" with the contacts making contact? But then, everything should have worked since there is only one set of contacts on the switch used by the factory... A puzzle for sure ??????
Ours is wired the same as yours.

The weird situation with the cutoff switch, I was guessing the same thing, that some how the contacts stuck - doing it again made it work correctly, and I've tested it now multiple times. As usual, we both probably turn it off, and then don't really test it, so we assume it turns the power off. When I first noticed the problem, I went in, turned on the lights and thought to myself, you have to turn the cutoff switch off. When I went out and checked, it was off. Standing there perplexed, I put the key in again, and turned it on and off, and went in and checked the lights and the lights were now off. As usual, I must of looked like a real idiot, walking back and forth, turning the cutoff switch on and off, and going inside and checking the lights. Then I figured out I could just look at the light in the basement area - duh! But it never happened again, but I check the basement light to see if it's on.

Also, I can't remove the key in the 'on' position - it's keyed with a lug.

The biggest reason I mention this, is if someone knew they turned off the cutoff switch, and then the battery was dead, it could have been something as stupid/quirky as this happening.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #25
gtsum2

Same thing happens to my 345. I'm going to order a disconnect switch like posted above

But how about putting a battery tender on the battery while gone? I have power at storage, but it is on a gfi outlet that somehow always trips while hooked up (even though it is not drawing anywhere near 20 amps). Ok to hook battery tender Jr. Up to it?
Old 10-07-2015, 06:24 AM   #26
dcg9381

I've done that in the past.. no problem.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote