Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2015, 01:08 PM   #1
tgpilot

FloJet Macerator Pump (Your thoughts)

I've been thinking about one of these FloJet Macerator Pump. Anyone have experience with a macerator pump or have one. Would like to know if they work and are worth the expense.

Thanks guys for your inputs.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Larry1013

I guess I would ask you what you expect this pump to do for you that a 3" sewer dump can't or won't accomplish?

Or does it have to do with the dump locations you have access?

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat CrewCab Long Bed 6.7L
2005 Keystone Outback Sydney 30FRKS
Larry1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgpilot View Post
I've been thinking about one of these FloJet Macerator Pump. Anyone have experience with a macerator pump or have one. Would like to know if they work and are worth the expense.

Thanks guys for your inputs.
There are some good reasons to have something like the FloJet. At our last home, the only access to the septic tank was up hill and about 30 feet distant from the trailer. I used a Sewer Solution for dumping at home, but it has some drawbacks. First, the main housing breaks all too easily. The fingers that grip the nubbins on the dump outlet all broke off. I contacted SS and they sent another saying it was a better design. It broke quicker than the first one. Secondly, the SS uses a jet of water as a sort of pump/macerator. We were on a well with limited water flow so the SS soon became even more unsatisfactory.

The FloJet (or similar) would have worked well for us there. You can use a hose as small as 5/8" on the output. It can lift the output at least 10' or more, and folks have reported using 80' or more of hose with no problems.

Folks in the marine world have used these macerator pumps, including the FloJet, for many years to safely and cleanly empty their holding tanks.

If you're in a campground with typical hookups or dump stations where gravity flow works well for dumping your black tank over short distances, there's probably not much justification for the several hundred dollars you would spend for the RV version of this system. However, there are clearly some situations where the FloJet would be very useful and more than a few where it would be pretty much the only realistic solution.

We dry camp for two weeks or longer at a stretch several times a year. Being able to dump my black tank into one of the towable waste totes is very desirable. But generally, there's not enough drop from the dump outlet on the trailer to the tote to use a 3" hose. It would almost certainly be messy and more trouble than it would be worth. The FloJet would solve that problem quite efficiently and safely. It's on my list of things to buy for the trailer.

My suggestion is that if you feel you'll be in situations where normal dumping won't be practical or even possible, and the FloJet's capabilities would do what you need, then it's probably a very reasonable purchase.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
tgpilot

Thanks guys, I was just wondering how it would be used and when. Didn't know if it would be nice to have one or not. Gives you something to think about.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:12 AM   #5
michol02

I've had mine for a couple of years now, and the only problem I've had is when someone put a baby wipe in the toilet. It got twisted up in the impeller. Besides that, I've had no problems. I've pumped waste through 200' of 3/4" hose at a campground we frequent, where the dump station is a couple of sites down from us. I also have a 3/4" PVC sewer line run from my rv parking spot at my house to the sewer system about 90' away. I ran 12v power next to the dump valve for convenient pump hookup. Shop around, I found mine for $200 on sale at Amazon.

Visit Mods album in my profile
michol02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Yak

I have one and it's great for the 2 times a year I have to dump at home