Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2015, 10:36 AM   #1
Joecycle12

Tire Chains

Has anyone ever had to use snow chains on the tow vehicle and if so did you need to put them on the trailer (5th wheel) as well.
I'm just thinking.
Thank you
Joecycle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
KanTC

Joecycle,

Here's some previous threads (similar topic) which might be helpful.

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21647

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15453

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14565

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2069

http://keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1620

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:24 PM   #3
gkainz

Readers Digest version of the above post: Yes, and yes.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
bsmith0404

Most states that require chains will require them to be on the TV and the trailer. As a transporter I am required to carry chains with me, but the trailer manufacturer does not allow us to put chains on the trailer. If I ever get into a location where chains are required I am forced to stop. I find it almost comical that I MUST have chains with me by the state law, I can get a fine just for not having them, but I cannot use them.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #5
Ken / Claudia

Yes and Yes. Oregon has different levels of needs for chains and traction devices depending on conditions. Check your state, most laws about that come from USDOT and likely Oregon is same or similar to your state. You may find a chart that shows vehicle combinations and axles and what needs chains and what does not. Usually, (meaning not everywhere or always) if the TV is required to be chained up, a axle of the trailer must also be chained up and that would be the front axle.
Brent is right about needing to always carry chains. That is a comm vehicle code. Any comm vehicle traveling on a stated winter pass/road during winter must carry chains with them and or will be cited. (Common cite by troopers working snow zones). When the chain up advisory signs are up or on than they must be used according to what level of bad weather.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
hankaye

Joecycle12, Howdy;

Why on God's Green Earth would you want to subject yourself
to the brainless masses that will be attempting to navigate on
a slippery surface , , ?

Folks that have a had enough time driving on a smooth dry surface
throw abandon and their brains out the window as soon as the first
snowflake hit the ground and they all (based on previous experience),
regard themselves a equals to Mario Andretti (they don't realize he's
on a specially prepared surface).

If it gets bad enough to require chains find a place to hole-up.

The "Powers-that-be" will have the roads cleared soon enough.

hankaye

PS. Sorry If I came across a tad strong above. What I was trying to
say is basicly this ... If you have to ask then you don't need to try it.

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
Ken / Claudia

Hankaye is right, avoid that stuff if you can. I cannot, I elk hunt in DEC/JAN and have driven at 25-35 mph with chains on all day and across Oregon once with a 28ft TT. Work does not count but, had chains on many days, all day working snow zones and closed I-84 for about 17 years of winters. Cannot say how many tire chains I broke. That was without pulling a trailer of course.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Hankaye is right, avoid that stuff if you can. I cannot, I elk hunt in DEC/JAN and have driven at 25-35 mph with chains on all day and across Oregon once with a 28ft TT. Work does not count but, had chains on many days, all day working snow zones and closed I-84 for about 17 years of winters. Cannot say how many tire chains I broke. That was without pulling a trailer of course.
Seems us Oregonians understand the tire chain laws.
I carry my chains year round, just so I have them. I have been caught not expecting snow (In January) and needed to drive over the Oregon Coast range on snow covered roads, yes 4X4 was nice also, didn't need to chain up.

About 3 weeks later had a trip planed to Cape Lookout, and it was snowing in the passes, we went a head and went didn't need them then either, even going around a spun out log truck.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 AM   #9
Barbell

One reason we have an RV is so we can hole up if the weather gets bad. Spent a week in Tucson a few years ago waiting for the roads in Northern AZ to clear. I would never try pulling our trailer on ice/snow with or without chains. I understand that people need to get back to a job or whatever but it is too much of a risk for us. When we lived in the midwest, we had 4X4 vehicles and tire chains but nothing was so important that we had to pull a trailer on bad roads.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I am OK with driving in bad weather. But, it's the OTHER guy who worries me. Traveling with traffic at 25-35mph on the interstate is safe until THAT guy passing at 65mph switches lanes, brakes, spins out and hits the right guard rail, left GM barrier. Around and around he goes. I seen his eyes as he spun. And going at 25 mph I just pulled over and stopped on the shoulder to give aid. That one was in 2008. He was not hurt, his pick up did not have much that was not bent.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #11
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I am OK with driving in bad weather. But, it's the OTHER guy who worries me. Traveling with traffic at 25-35mph on the interstate is safe until THAT guy passing at 65mph switches lanes, brakes, spins out and hits the right guard rail, left GM barrier. Around and around he goes. I seen his eyes as he spun. And going at 25 mph I just pulled over and stopped on the shoulder to give aid. That one was in 2008. He was not hurt, his pick up did not have much that was not bent.
Southbound on HWY97 coming into Weed, CA. Pretty good downgrade. Single lane southbound (downhill) double lane northbound. Loaded with apples (80,000#) - Set of single chains on one drive axle - drag chain on the left front trailer. All is well. Compact snow & ice but it is very cold, the snow is sticking to the trailer tires. I'm doing about 25 to 30 mph when a 4 wheeler loaded down with a family of six passes me. He spins around, almost hits my trailer tires - the hood actually passes under the edge of my trailer. around and around he goes. Somehow he never touched me or the oncoming traffic or the guardrails. He was a VERY lucky dude!

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:46 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Southbound on HWY97 coming into Weed, CA. Pretty good downgrade. Single lane southbound (downhill) double lane northbound. Loaded with apples (80,000#) - Set of single chains on one drive axle - drag chain on the left front trailer. All is well. Compact snow & ice but it is very cold, the snow is sticking to the trailer tires. I'm doing about 25 to 30 mph when a 4 wheeler loaded down with a family of six passes me. He spins around, almost hits my trailer tires - the hood actually passes under the edge of my trailer. around and around he goes. Somehow he never touched me or the oncoming traffic or the guardrails. He was a VERY lucky dude!
Yep! Four wheel drive is great for extra control in bad weather, one must still abide by the laws of Physics!!
Just because one has extra directional control, once lost it will be a bad seine!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote